New Release! (BTW V4.85)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.85)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.85 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added an animated texture to the Saw when it is powered. Note for texture pack artists: due to a bug in the vanilla rendering code, it's currently not feasible to create an animation that will rotate in the appropriate direction for both top and bottom textures. This is why the default animation for the Saw has an ambiguous rotation direction, and I'd recommend doing the same in your texture packs.

-Added Hardcore Redstone Recipes. What this basically does is change any vanilla recipes for redstone reactive blocks so that they actually include redstone in the recipe itself to avoid cheap exploits like using levers instead of redstone torches to save on redstone dust. It also removes redstone functionality from certain early game blocks for consistency and to increase the value of their later game counterparts, and also ties some of the redstone devices into BTW's overall tech tree. Changes to individual blocks as part of this are listed below.

-Changed the lever recipe to consist of redstone dust, cobble, and a shaft in a vertical line.

-Changed the pressure plate recipes to consist of redstone dust with siding of the appropriate type (wood or smooth stone) above.

-Changed the button recipes to consist of redstone dust with a corner of the appropriate type (wood or smooth stone) above.

-Changed wood doors, trapdoors, and fence gates to no longer respond to a redstone signal.

-Changed iron door recipe to include 2 units of redstone dust in the top and bottom corners of the crafting grid (the 6 iron part remains unchanged).

-Changed the tripwire hook recipe to consist of an iron nugget, wood Moulding, and redstone dust in a vertical line, and to only produce one hook as output.

-Changed Obsidian Pressure Plates to Soulforged Steel Pressure Plates for consistency with the other redstone recipe changes, and because it better explains the player-only functionality provided. They are now created with 3 SFS ingots is a row, with 1 unit of redstone dust below. Note that this also affects the Obsidian Detector Rail.

-Changed the "supports" in abandoned mineshafts to consist of logs rather than fences and planks. This was done to increase the challenge of exploring them, as the fences were causing pathfinding issues for mobs, and the logs cut down on visibility leading to more nasty surprises while exploring them. Logs also look rather cool in this role and give the mineshafts a more oppressive feeling.

-Changed Mystery Meat to only drop periodically to prevent exploits.

-Changed iron and gold ores so that they only drop in the specific color of strata mined if a silk touch enchant is used, otherwise they all drop in the lightest color of stone to prevent stacking issues.

-Changed (reduced) the growth rate of Hemp to encourage larger farms and to better match the reduced growth rate of other crops.

-Changed the Turntable and repeater recipes to use clocks instead of netherquartz (or redstone dust in the older recipes) in order to increase the value of gold in the middle to late game, with the underlying in-game logic that gold is used as an interfacing material between redstone and quartz, and thus is required to create timing mechanisms.

-Changed the drops on Gear Boxes, Axles, and Saws when they are broken due to misuse to take advantage of some of the newer items in the mod (like saw dust and iron nuggets) and in order to better convey the destruction involved.

-Changed the recipes for Chowder and Cream of Mushroom to produce two bowls of soup (with the recipes now requiring two empty bowls) instead of just one to increase the value of squeezing cow titties.

-Changed the recipe for Scrambled Eggs to no longer require a bowl (it's just a bucket of milk and a raw egg now), changed the icon to reflect this, changed the recipe to produce 2 units instead of 1, and increased the hunger restored to inspire additional squeezing action. In other words, if you have access to milk, they're now a more efficient use of your eggs than Mushroom Omelets, given the relative difficulty of acquiring milk versus mushrooms.

-Changed Hardcore Spawn so that if you're playing single player (this doesn't apply to multiplayer for obvious reasons), and you are assigned a new spawn location (dying over and over and respawning in the same spot won't do this), you will respawn on the morning after you died. This is to prevent overly harsh situations with respawning in the wilderness in the middle of the night, and to reduce suicidal behavior upon respawn awaiting the next day.

-Fixed problem with being able to walk on the edge of blocks in order to avoid movement modifiers due to HC Movement.

-Fixed problem with mobs not burning in sunlight when caught in spider webs. Note that this fix may not apply to webs that have already been placed in your world, but will work for all newly generated ones.

-Fixed problem with redstone torches popping off of some surfaces to which they should be able to attach.

-Fixed problem with the player sometimes being assigned a spawn location in a ravine with Hardcore Spawn.

-Fixed problem with chickens still being able to be fed my hand even if they had just eaten seeds off the ground.

-Removed the recipe for creating synthetic redstone from the mod. Sorry guys, but this was devaluing mining in the late game at diamond level, which is something I am trying to make more rewarding rather than discourage.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Mason11987

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.85)

Post by Mason11987 »

Thanks for the great release. Gotten fire it up and try all the changes out. Woot!
Feliponius

Post by Feliponius »

These redstone changes are incredible. -slow claps- Such a simple change that not only makes a ton of sense, but increases the value of redstone immensely. Thanks for being so excellent at what you do. You're imagination is all that keeps me coming back to minecraft time and time again. Cheers!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Feliponius wrote:These redstone changes are incredible. -slow claps- Such a simple change that not only makes a ton of sense, but increases the value of redstone immensely. Thanks for being so excellent at what you do. You're imagination is all that keeps me coming back to minecraft time and time again. Cheers!
Thanks for that man. I've been mulling over those redstone changes for probably over a year now, because that whole bit about "redstone devices that don't actually have any redstone in them" has always bugged the shit out of me in vanilla.

Previously, I was just hesitant to make such sweeping changes to vanilla recipes, but given BTW has recently become more of a "fuck y'all, I'm doing it my way" mod, I figured it was time ;)

I think that calls for some music...

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I cannot find anything in this update to complain about. Damn you for draining the fun out of everything!
Better is the enemy of Good
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

so much goodness. Thank you FC! =)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Holy hardcore recipes batman! I really like all these changes. Especially the adjustment to early game food to make milk more valuable. Now I regret not gathering cows at my current base. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Holy hardcore recipes batman! I really like all these changes. Especially the adjustment to early game food to make milk more valuable. Now I regret not gathering cows at my current base. :P
Word. That's what I'm looking for :)

I've got a few more changes along those lines in the works. Frigging Saw animation took me pretty much all day due to the reasons mentioned in the associated release note. I fiddled waaaaay too long with that vanilla texturing bug.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

*pours one on the curb for synthetic redstone* You will be missed.

I know you have your reasons and all, but man am I gonna miss that part. Other than that, this release is looking great as usual FC. Keep up the hard work man. :)

I can't remember if clocks still use ingots or nuggets. Gonna have to check the wiki now. Back! yup, as I thought wiki says 4 nuggets. :)

So, now we just need to figure out how to effectively quarry large portions of bedrock-level goods out of the earth....
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed Hardcore Spawn so that if you're playing single player (this doesn't apply to multiplayer for obvious reasons), and you are assigned a new spawn location (dying over and over and respawning in the same spot won't do this), you will respawn on the morning after you died. This is to prevent overly harsh situations with respawning in the wilderness in the middle of the night, and to reduce suicidal behavior upon respawn awaiting the next day.
This is all great, but I've really got to thank you for this one. Much appreciated, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Wow, impressive update! Good set of changes, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the altered mineshafts. Those are going to look amazing!

Keep up the great work!
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Wait, so the chests and chests full of redstone I've been gathering will have a use? Sweet! (Exaggeration, but I've got nearly as much redstone as I have coal and I mine EVERY vein of coal I come across.)

LOVE the changes to food. Really felt off that my chickens and mushrooms were so valuable, but spending 4 wheat I found in my mine on my cows didn't really pay off much in the way of more milk.

Now I gotta decide if I want to trim the chunks in my world and if MCEdit is going to cause an unholy messup doing so. Already stripped the abandoned mines under my main base of all wood.

EDIT: And, as always, thanks for providing us with hours and hours of more fun :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr_Hosed wrote: Now I gotta decide if I want to trim the chunks in my world and if MCEdit is going to cause an unholy messup doing so. Already stripped the abandoned mines under my main base of all wood.
Honestly here: I extend my apologies for the changes to world gen after I said I was done. In this particular case there was a definite balance problem with abandoned mineshafts and this seemed like it was by far the most effective method to correct it.

That will hopefully be the last of them. I would really prefer not to do anymore.
Kmand

Post by Kmand »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed wood doors, trapdoors, and fence gates to no longer respond to a redstone signal.
Nooo, not my highly squeezed-together trapdoor-dependent mob trap sorting mechanism, 60+ level XP-storing mechanism and attached gigantic infernal library!

Oh well, these changes are certainly for the best, and that should teach me to leave additional room in my future builds. I guess I'll start a new world once I get back from this bloody service. I have to see all the new changes to early game anyhow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kmand wrote: Nooo, not my highly squeezed-together trapdoor-dependent mob trap sorting mechanism, 60+ level XP-storing mechanism and attached gigantic infernal library!
Rofl! Ok, thanks man...I really needed that :)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with being able to walk on the edge of blocks in order to avoid movement modifiers due to HC Movement.
:O How did you fix this?? I saw the topic about this and i thought it couldnt be something fixable, i almost pee'd myself when i read you fixed it!

-takes off tinfoilhat and gives FC a hug (maneuvering between spikes)-
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote: :O How did you fix this?? I saw the topic about this and i thought it couldnt be something fixable, i almost pee'd myself when i read you fixed it!
Errr...I dunno...something about checking the blocks neighboring the one you're on in the case that you're over air that was much more self-evident when I was sober :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mr_Hosed wrote: Now I gotta decide if I want to trim the chunks in my world and if MCEdit is going to cause an unholy messup doing so. Already stripped the abandoned mines under my main base of all wood.
Honestly here: I extend my apologies for the changes to world gen after I said I was done. In this particular case there was a definite balance problem with abandoned mineshafts and this seemed like it was by far the most effective method to correct it.

That will hopefully be the last of them. I would really prefer not to do anymore.
I understand your desire to leave world gen untouched from this point forward. I'm pretty sure that the majority of "damage" done to world gen comes from vanilla "features". And at this point for a fair number of us BTW has become the only way to play minecraft anymore.

So if while you're polishing up BTW so you can begin work on RTH in earnest, a few more needed world gen changes that give us a year plus of death enjoyment. Yeah I'm not going to complain.

Cause we need more interesting ways to experience death and trauma. From being mauled and eaten to wolfsies-powered psychological warfare, I think we're exhausting the ways available to die.

Or at least I am...
Sage

Post by Sage »

Love the gold changes! Simple but effective :)

Also new uses for SFS! W00t! Time to fire up my soul bottler/SFS creation contraption...
<remembers that there are a pair of trapdoors in there>
Actually I have used the suckers in many other places >_> I think it's time to do some maintenance in my builds...
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Ooooh, this is interesting.

So we can now put trapdoors on the sides of powered light blocks and actually switch them on/off? Brilliant.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: So we can now put trapdoors on the sides of powered light blocks and actually switch them on/off? Brilliant.
Hehe...yeah, I actually missed that kind of functionality myself. I used to use them as "hatches" on my redstone setups.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Thanks for another great update FC!
I was only just discovering the awesomeness of synthesising redstone, and ofcourse it gets ripped out the same week. :P
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks for the release FC. I must say, re-playing Better Than Wolves is really a blast now! I just had to go past the 'OMG dat' damn FC broke EVERYTHING !!!!!' moment... And last week, right after beginning a new play through, I realized how wrong I was. You haven't broken anything, but instead you fixed a bunch of half-assed MC features!

And again, a huge 'thank you' for that!
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

great job FC really like the HCS change and the redstone stuff the most but all is great no complaints ty for the great work you do sir
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The new recipes are crazy cool, especially the ones requiring microblocks! :)

This is probably my favorite update as of late (I love the rebalance, but redstone is still where it's at, you know?)

I'm not sure what I think about the lack of redstone sending to trapdoors and fence gates, but I do understand the logic, so it's all good :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx