New Release! (BTW V4.84)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.84)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.84 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Updated BTW to version 1.5.2 of Minecraft.

-Added an internal add-on handling system that effectively replaces Modloader within BTW. This was done for a number of reasons, but mainly so that the code for SSP & SMP would be more uniform since ModLoader does not have a server version. This made the BTW code-base more annoying to maintain, and rather difficult for add-on authors to have their mods function in multiplayer. Note that BTW will no longer function with ModLoader installed, and thus is now likely incompatible with all mods that make use of it.

-Added a new ability to the beast.

-Fixed vanilla problem with displaying the correct information on clocks and compasses in both the stats page, and in the crafting result slot, to prevent exploits.

-Fixed problem with torches still sometimes spawning around bonus chests as items.

-Fixed some weirdness (including an item duplication) when placing torches in a block occupied by both tall grass (or other similar blocks), and snow.

-Fixed weirdness with two zombies attempting to break down a barricade at the same time.

-Removed the step sound from chickens, as that clicking was super annoying.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Shengji

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.84)

Post by Shengji »

You are amazing! Thank you!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I hadn't noticed this until I was told about it, but it bugged the heck out of me. Thank you for sharing your hard work.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

-Added a new ability to the beast.

oh god....

FC, thanks for the update, thanks for getting rid of the click noise.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote:-Added a new ability to the beast.

oh god....
Hehe...nothing major. Just a little correction for something I saw in a video ;)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Thank you for another great update FC and jumping right back in after the vision corrections!
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Pucc

Post by Pucc »

FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the step sound from chickens, as that clicking was super annoying.
Peace at last! No more teeth grinding. BTW now with added dental health.

Thanks!
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:Note that BTW will no longer function with ModLoader installed, and thus is now likely incompatible with all mods that make use of it.
There was a time a while ago when I made a joke in a thread regarding the "phases" you had planned for BTW, in which I stated that phase 12 or so would be the incompatibility update that finally made BTW incompatible with Minecraft. It struck me reading this that all of that is actually coming to pass, and eventually with RTH it will be completely incompatible. Which is awesome.

More on topic though, you have no idea how much this little thing has me jazzed. Not only do I no longer have to take two whole steps to install BTW (until BTH comes out, that is) but this is about as close to a "mod API" as I think we're going to see, and I finally trust the codebase enough to bother starting the addon mod I've been planning. So thanks for this :)
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

He He... the chicken clicking takes me back to a certian quote about zombie banging and game designers as well as a lot of fucks. What gave me the biggest wtf about the chicken clicking was how it happened on soft surfaces such as grass and leaves. Thanks for removing it man.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Wow, I bet it feels good to now have the fate of the mod independent of anything else (besides vanilla itself but that's what RTH is for). Congrats for that but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Risugami. Now that BTW has moved on I just might make a mc forums account and thank him for everything he has done for minecraft modding.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Xeo wrote:Wow, I bet it feels good to now have the fate of the mod independent of anything else (besides vanilla itself but that's what RTH is for). Congrats for that but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Risugami. Now that BTW has moved on I just might make a mc forums account and thank him for everything he has done for minecraft modding.
Yeah, that's the one area where I don't feel great about this. I really held on for quite awhile hoping he'd eventually release a server version, but I think it's been over 6 months now since 1.3 came out, and everything else considered, it was just time for BTW to go its own way.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Xeo wrote:Wow, I bet it feels good to now have the fate of the mod independent of anything else (besides vanilla itself but that's what RTH is for). Congrats for that but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Risugami. Now that BTW has moved on I just might make a mc forums account and thank him for everything he has done for minecraft modding.
Incidentally, I was just about to do the same thing really. I feel that guy is very much responsible for a lot of the fun BTW has given me.
-J-

Post by -J- »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added a new ability to the beast.
Once more in to the Wolfie Research Center!
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I noticed that I can't make hearty stew. I'm pretty sure I checked it with every available meat product but still, no luck. I'm really glad for the chicken fix, though. Thanks, FC!
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

While it excites me that the awesome SSP mods that have been developed so far like Sargunster's Mod now have the potential to go multiplayer, I am sad to lose Inventory Tweaks. Keeping my chests organised is about to become a serious first-world problem for me now!
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

I am a bit late to the party, but thanks for another great update and I'm glad to hear that your eye problem has effectively been dealt with. This seems a bit random, but it almost feels as though the codebase is much more stable and consistent now.

At least this update should pretty much eliminate all the questions about installation related to Modloader and Minecraft needing to be 1.5.1; in fact, it should eliminate all issues related to Modloader in general and make for a much more simple install.

As was noted earlier, I do feel pretty bad for Risu, given that a lot of people don't realize what a very large portion of Modloader downloads came from BTW players. In fact, I think that BTW may have been the largest (in terms of player-base) single mod requiring Modloader, neck and neck with the group of mods made by Risu himself. Beyond that, basically everything has been conquered by the Forge.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

ehsanmp wrote:While it excites me that the awesome SSP mods that have been developed so far like Sargunster's Mod now have the potential to go multiplayer, I am sad to lose Inventory Tweaks. Keeping my chests organised is about to become a serious first-world problem for me now!
I gave up on Inv. Tweaks few updates ago when it became partially incompatible, but luckily FC pointed out (somewhere... I can't be bothered to remember) that he is actually trying to make inventory management a more important part of the mod... as far as I can tell he did a great job and even early storage capacities are important part of it and you should really give it a try :)
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

i have to say... with 50 chickens in a small 5 by 5 pin under my house i started to question my building of my house. clicking noise almost made me move my entire house. but now i dont have to deal with it. thank you SO much for removing that noise. and ability of the beast: never even encountered it.... yet. and on the incopatability that is epic.

EDIT: exscuse my horrible spelling
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Not had a chance to play the last few updates so really excited about trying out the new features. I was reading the install instructions though and found this which may need edited.
[****** Installation Instructions ******]
3) Delete the META-INF folder in minecraft.jar (you should have already done this when you installed ModLoader)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

And here I am, thanking you for the release, even though I thought my journey as a MC (well, mostly BTW) player had ended...

I have to say, this break was for the best and seeing you join Icy for a series has been just what I needed to get back into it. Maybe it will only be for a few months, but it will be months of fun !

Thanks FC :-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Thanks for continuing to develop this mod despite all that has happened over time. :)

I'm currently co-administrating an FTB server, trying to beat some semblance of gameplay and difficulty into it (we have our own modpack for that).

We're getting lots of "more, better, easier, faster, ..." these days, so I'm finally starting to understand how you must be feeling with that magnified by the huge size of the BTW community.

Either way, it's nice to come back to a mod, that someone else worked the balance out for (and way more skillfully than I ever could).
I've been more than pleased to see the direction the mod has taken since I went into lurking mode.

Good job FC, keep it up.

Yours,

M!C
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

Added an internal add-on handling system that effectively replaces Modloader within BTW.
While I feel slightly bad for Risu, I have to say thanks for doing this. It was a bit of a pain trying to get hold of old Modloaders when BTW wasn't yet associated with the latest version of Minecraft, and since you're going for independence it was the logical way forward for both the users and yourself.

Oh, and thanks for updating to 1.5.2!
pfc calico

Post by pfc calico »

I know I have made silly posts and not really contributed as I should really. Just from one fan, thanks. Just thanks for all your effort and creativity you have made MC worth while playing again.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

After a lengthy argument with my friend calling him stoopid for installing BTW wrong I noticed that the readme.txt file still says to use modloader.

3) Delete the META-INF folder in minecraft.jar (you should have already done this when you installed ModLoader)
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

the_fodder wrote:After a lengthy argument with my friend calling him stoopid for installing BTW wrong I noticed that the readme.txt file still says to use modloader.

Well further down, second item in the changelog, it states "Note that BTW will no longer function with ModLoader installed, and thus is now likely incompatible with all mods that make use of it.

So you can congratulate him on leaping to reasonable assumptions. And then call him stoopid again for not reading the changelog for this version and screwing up his install.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show