New Release! (BTW V4.83)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.83)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.83 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added sound to crafting planks out of logs with an axe in the crafting grid.

-Changed (reduced) the furnace burn time on Saw Dust, Bark, and saplings for balance.

-Changed recipes that play sounds when used in the crafting grid (namely those involving shears or axes) so that the sound is only played once no matter how many individual items are crafted at once.

-Changed Dirt Slabs so that they must be placed on a solid surface, and will "pop" (into Dirt Piles) if they are not. They were being used way too much for exploity barricades that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

-Changed dirt, gravel, sand and logs to drop Piles or Saw Dust when destroyed by an explosion, mainly to provide a cost to "creeper mining", but also because it fits the pile functionality much better in general.

-Changed sand and gravel so that when they fall on other blocks like torches, they break apart into piles instead of producing full blocks.

-Changed (increased) the amount of damage cows can take before dying slightly, to make them feel bigger and tougher than the other animals, and to increase the effort it takes to kill them in the early game.

-Changed sticks to instead be called "Shafts" to better reflect their creation method and use.

-Changed mycelium and giant mushrooms so that monsters can't spawn on them. This increases its usefulness of these block, and also goes hand in hand with the mushroom biome spawn change below. It also facilitates giant mushroom farming, as unlike trees, they'd tend to create zones on top of them in which monsters could spawn upon growth.

-Changed mushroom biomes so that monsters can spawn in them to prevent them being total safe zones, which can ruin the early game experience if you spawn near them, while together with the above changes preserving their character of being barren and lifeless.

-Removed the ability for animals to respawn. What you get on chunk generation, is all you'll ever get now, and if you exhaust the animals within an area through over-hunting, the only way to find more is to move on.

-Fixed problem with the death message associated with a little something something.

-Fixed problem with hungry wolves continuing to attack even if they are fed. Note that if they are angry about something else though, feeding them won't get them to stop attacking.

-Fixed vanilla problem that prevented most mobs from spawning above ground in jungle biomes. This should make jungles more dangerous places overall.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Sinornithosaurus

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.83)

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Changed mycelium and giant mushrooms so that monsters can't spawn on them. This increases its usefulness of these block, and also goes hand in hand with the mushroom biome spawn change below. It also facilitates giant mushroom farming, as unlike trees, they'd tend to create zones on top of them in which monsters could spawn upon growth.

-Changed mushroom biomes so that monsters can spawn in them to prevent them being total safe zones, which can ruin the early game experience if you spawn near them, while together with the above changes preserving their character of being barren and lifeless.
Mushrooms FTW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, before someone asks:

Is the early game difficulty maxed out now?

I honestly don't know :)

I *may* do some further work on it, but the important thing, is that it's unlikely to change much now. I suspect what we have now is very close to what the final version would be, so IMO, I think people should feel fairly safe now starting a new world and sticking with it.

Anyways, sorry I can't give a clearer answer, but there are still a few small areas that have question marks next to them. Again though: nothing major. I'm really happy with the balance at present, as most of the changes in this release are the small tweaks I made while playing over the past few days, and it feels just about bang-on to me.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

o.o one thing. Thank you fc. thank you for all your hard work and tweaks to make MC a playable game but most of all... Thank you for axing that god awful habit of passive animals respawning in dead areas :D. I am super stoked about this change (along with all the others) as 1. It was always gamey to think "It's ok if I slaughter everything at spawn, stuff can possibly respawn there later." and 2. It has been ruining the basis of a survival map I've been trying to make :)

As for not knowing if early game difficulty is done... Bring it ;) Early game, Late game, I'm always looking for more challenges :P

Edit: Spelling errors
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Another good, solid, BTW release. :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed sand and gravel so that when they fall on other blocks like torches, they break apart into piles instead of producing full blocks.
My inner exploitist is secretly crying. Seriously though, in hindsight, wtf was I thinking mining using torches? It seemed to save time, but honestly, did digging two levels below sand and placing/breaking torches really save any time all? Thanks FC, for once again making me re-evaluate the way I play. :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed mycelium and giant mushrooms so that monsters can't spawn on them. This increases its usefulness of these block, and also goes hand in hand with the mushroom biome spawn change below. It also facilitates giant mushroom farming, as unlike trees, they'd tend to create zones on top of them in which monsters could spawn upon growth.
The rest of this release is definitely a nice polish to the gem that is BTW, but this one in particular strikes true with me. After converting an island on my old, pre-hardcore BTW world into mycelium in order to create a basic mushroom farm, I was bit surprised to find myself being bombarded by mobs as I passed by. Thanks for making this viable, without having to constantly torch up newly grown mushrooms.

As I've already mentioned, the rest of the release sounds like polish, which is good to hear since that means you are nearing your goal. Best of luck on finishing up and moving on to YOUR project, RTH. :)
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

JakeZKAM wrote: As for not knowing if early game difficulty is done... Bring it ;) Early game, Late game, I'm always looking for more challenges :P
That kind of information is useful for people who want to start a new world knowing that they won't miss a boatload of changes coming next week. :P

I've been waiting for the animal spawning changes since they stopped despawning. One more reason to play BTW. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DNoved1 wrote:As I've already mentioned, the rest of the release sounds like polish, which is good to hear since that means you are nearing your goal. Best of luck on finishing up and moving on to YOUR project, RTH. :)
Yup, that's absolutely true here. I spent most of the week playing the mod rather than developing, and just making the odd tweak here and there.

The main change I made at the start was the no animal respawning, which I was playing with throughout to make sure it was right. I do believe it is :)
caveatEmptor

Post by caveatEmptor »

-Fixed vanilla problem that prevented most mobs from spawning above ground in jungle biomes. This should make jungles more dangerous places overall.
I'm curious about this change. I thought that the reason mobs didn't spawn in jungles was that the ground was mostly covered with leaves, and that mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks. Did you change it so that now they spawn on all transparent blocks, or just leaves, or was there a separate issue with mob spawns in jungles? Either way it's a welcome change, I started my most recent world by a jungle and have been surprised at how few mobs I see coming from that direction.

Anyway thanks for the update FC :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

caveatEmptor wrote: I'm curious about this change. I thought that the reason mobs didn't spawn in jungles was that the ground was mostly covered with leaves, and that mobs don't spawn on transparent blocks. Did you change it so that now they spawn on all transparent blocks, or just leaves, or was there a separate issue with mob spawns in jungles? Either way it's a welcome change, I started my most recent world by a jungle and have been surprised at how few mobs I see coming from that direction.
I just fixed it :)
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

wow the changes i this update are really nice i like how it is feeling like a real world mod unlike "mincraft pysics" stuff nice work FC
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jak Stone wrote:wow the changes i this update are really nice i like how it is feeling like a real world mod unlike "mincraft pysics" stuff nice work FC
Huh? :)
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

the early game stuff it is not easy to get fully kitted out in iron straight away it feels like more of accomplishment to get there and the different level of mining feel more real in minecraft it has been weird that u need to upgrade your pick in order to mine yet can break the stone around it with a wooden pick ur mod makes it more like real life as in u need at least and iron mid level the lower need a diamond pick to mine the stone what i meant by minecraft physics is just that it is crazy to be able to do that stuff
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the ability for animals to respawn. What you get on chunk generation, is all you'll ever get now, and if you exhaust the animals within an area through over-hunting, the only way to find more is to move on.
Are Ocelots included in that list? Last time I was in a jungle, I spent quite some time searching for one, but failed miserably. Mostly curious whether they might still appear near a base sooner or later or whether I'll have to actively hunt for them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: Are Ocelots included in that list? Last time I was in a jungle, I spent quite some time searching for one, but failed miserably. Mostly curious whether they might still appear near a base sooner or later or whether I'll have to actively hunt for them.
All mobs should be affected, hostile or no. I didn't test ocelots specifically, but I'd suspect they'd be more common.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

FlowerChild wrote:
Graphite wrote: Are Ocelots included in that list? Last time I was in a jungle, I spent quite some time searching for one, but failed miserably. Mostly curious whether they might still appear near a base sooner or later or whether I'll have to actively hunt for them.
All mobs should be affected, hostile or no. I didn't test ocelots specifically, but I'd suspect they'd be more common.

hehe maybe now i'll actually get a cat now :-p everytime I see one of them I don't have fish on me xD but if I have a fish they are nowhere in sight
Rawr :D
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thank you FlowerChild :)
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

FlowerChild wrote:
jak Stone wrote:wow the changes i this update are really nice i like how it is feeling like a real world mod unlike "mincraft pysics" stuff nice work FC
Huh? :)
Translation:
Wow, the changes in this update are really nice. I like that it feels like a real world with this mod, unlike with vanilla-Minecraft physics. Nice work, FC.

With creatures traveling slower on sand, wood floating in water, animals not randomly respawning, Steve growing hungry over time, heavy armor making Steve sink, and sheep not absorbing genetic mutations from dye, Better Than Wolves makes Minecraft feel more real.
Onarr

Post by Onarr »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.83 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
-Changed sand and gravel so that when they fall on other blocks like torches, they break apart into piles instead of producing full blocks.
Oh well there goes my automated tree farm. guess I will have to design something new

EDIT: I actually got an idea that makes it simpler! Thanks Flowerchild ;-)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Another week, another great update!

Thank you again, FlowerChild, especially for changing jungles and mushroom biomes so that they are no longer total safe havens.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Wow, I thought the whole creature respawn thing had been removed already. I've been playing the mod with that in mind for quite a while. Well, at least silly old me won't be fazed over this change =D
Again, thanks for all the awesome FC =)
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

I love the jungle change, and with the canopy they don't die during the day either. There's a jungle bordering my main base and I'm legitimately nervous, time to burn it down!
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

I believe the jungle just became the most deadly biome in Minecraft. By the stars.
And of COURSE the difficult isn't maxed out - you have a brain still. Diabolical ideas can still spawn in even if passive animals cannot.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

After playing the mod for a long time and following the forum since the beginning of this Year I want to finally show my gratitude and happiness for this mod.

I don't really know how to say this, but I've been loving this mod since I discovered it in June 2011. Every update was great, despite my many deaths ;) With the finalization of the early game, the mod just blew my mind. I hope you get what I mean!

Anyway to sum this up: So many thanks to you Flowerchild for an awesome mod, my favorite of all time. Everyone on this forum for giving me a daily routine of reading new ideas and discussions.

So yea, I only see good things for the future!

Thanks again -Sockthing

<dances ecstatically>
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Release Video :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys!

I'll be interested in seeing if the jungle change is actually enough. I'll admit that I'm not convinced it will be, but wanted everyone to try out this change first to see what kind of impact it has before taking further action on them.

Actually, I think I'll start up a thread specifically for people's observations on jungles, as it's the primary question mark for me at the moment.
Lars wrote:Wow, I thought the whole creature respawn thing had been removed already. I've been playing the mod with that in mind for quite a while. Well, at least silly old me won't be fazed over this change =D
Again, thanks for all the awesome FC =)
Hehe...yeah, I've been largely playing like that too, and it largely *felt* that way, but you'd still get the occasional animal popping up right outside your base when you knew that everything in the area had been previously dead. It was rare, but it still happened.

With all the other changes, it had started to feel distinctly wrong when it happened, and definitely detracted from the overall feel of desperation when it did. That was one of the big things I was playtesting the past week, and I really loved the results.

On the downside though, I now feel compelled to adopt Mojang's animal-suffocation bugs, as it's obviously a much bigger issue now if people's animals are randomly dying due to bugs. I'll likely start a thread for that one too, in order to try and narrow down the causes based on people's observations of how it happens.