New Release! (BTW V4.82) - NO SPOILERS!!!!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.82) - NO SPOILERS!!!!

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.82 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Better Wolves! Yes, that's right, after two years of poking fun at wolves as a feature, I've decided to give them a working over to be a more interesting and integrated part of BTW. The details of this feature are left for the player to discover.

-Added more Hardcore Wood which serves to further detail wood crafting in general, and makes wood a more valuable resource in the early game. The first change that this entails is that punching wood no longer gives you logs. Instead, it results in planks (1 unit), Saw Dust, and Bark (which is a new item) being dropped. Secondly, splitting logs into planks in the crafting grid now requires combining a log and an axe, and the durability of the axe will be consumed for every log cut. Crafting a log in this manner results in 2 planks (instead of vanilla's 4), Saw Dust, and Bark being created (the Saw Dust and Bark will scatter around you as you craft, with the planks being the actual crafting result). Finally, a log may also be cut on a Saw in the usual manner, which will yield 4 planks, Saw Dust, and Bark, making it the preferred method for wood working.

-Added Bark as a new item. Bark acts a replacement for the log blocks that were previously included in the leather tanning recipes, with different kinds of bark being more or less efficient for tanning as was the case with wood. Bark may also be used as a furnace fuel in the early game, similar to Saw Dust, Saplings, and other wood-based items. Bark is produced every time a log is converted into planks, regardless of the method used (harvesting by hand, crafting with an axe, or using a Saw).

-Fixed vanilla problem that would cause you to accidentally eat food (or drink potions) twice. Note that as part of this fix, you will only eat one food item per click, so you will not continue to eat if you just hold the mouse button down for longer than it takes to eat one item.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

CycloneSP

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.82) - NO SPOILERS!!!!

Post by CycloneSP »

Aw man! You tellin me I gotta open up my concrete cage and let my dogs out just so I can play around with the newest feature? XD

lol, but seriously, this sounds like a very interesting update! I'm rather curious as to the reason behind the inclusion of bark. Well, I guess we can say that BTW is now all bark AND bite! :P

Well, I can't wait to find out what surprises you've got in store for us this time FC, thx for all the hard work.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote: lol, but seriously, this sounds like a very interesting update! I'm rather curious as to the reason behind the inclusion of bark. Well, I guess we can say that BTW is now all bark AND bite! :P
I've intended to add bark for a very long time, as that's where most of the Tannin resides in wood. The wood log thing was just a placeholder until I got the new wood crafting methods in, as it goes hand in hand with the bark thing.

You'll note that in vanilla, you can't craft one thing into *two* (or more) others. That's the big change here that required.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Ah! Okay then, that makes sense. I guess that it would slightly aid the early game as well now that you've cut down on the number of planks gained. Since wood planks are now much more precious, and coal being needed in mass for torches, having a surplus of wood products, saw dust and bark, will really help keep those furnaces crackling. :)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

So, this system you've got in place is general purpose? Meaning that there's potentially more crafting recipes that will have multiple yields? Or is it just a special case?

Also, side note: Every time I see the no spoilers tag I want to put something in that spoils the end of an old book or movie :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW guys: since it may not be obvious, I've put in the crafting recipe for "wool boots" (a.k.a "socks") and to get started on Better Wolves, you need to craft them and put them on your pet wolves in order to make booties. You can also dye them which provides further bonuses.

Please don't post any additional spoilers, but I doubt people would discover that on their own, so I just wanted to give a little clue to get things rolling.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW guys: since it may not be obvious, I've put in the crafting recipe for "wool boots" (a.k.a "socks") and to get started on Better Wolves, you need to craft them and put them on your pet wolves in order to make booties. You can also dye them which provides further bonuses.

Please don't post any additional spoilers, but I doubt people would discover that on their own, so I just wanted to give a little clue to get things rolling.
I think it's time I put down the bottle of rum and went to sleep...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Man, its so hard not talking about all the awesome changes to wolves. Freakin' epic man!

Also, with the new wood changes it seems that wood walls around my abandoned village will have to wait, time to build some sexy dirt walls.

P.S. Also, love that you use tannin for tannin' :P
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

DNoved1 wrote:Man, its so hard not talking about all the awesome changes to wolves. Freakin' epic man!

Also, with the new wood changes it seems that wood walls around my abandoned village will have to wait, time to build some sexy dirt walls.

P.S. Also, love that you use tannin for tannin' :P
There is a reason we call leather treatment tanning in the first place

Thank you for the update FC. My wolves are loving their new booties and I'm loving the rewards for making them happy!
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DNoved1 wrote:Man, its so hard not talking about all the awesome changes to wolves. Freakin' epic man!
That's what spoiler threads are for man. I'd personally love to hear what people have discovered in that context.

Seriously, I put several days straight into Better Wolves, and am super excited about it, so I'd be very interested in hearing about people's experiences :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Once again, a magnaflorious release. Props man :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Heheh, better wolves and "bark" were those added in the same release on purpose?
Seriously though man, thanks for putting out release after release for the last 2 years, I really admire the dedication.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Better wolves... You just blew my mind... Again.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

O.O I can use my wolves for something other than poop?? YES! Even if the love is hardcore, I love you FC
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Better wolves... You just blew my mind... Again.
I told you there was a hint in that video ;)
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

For the first time in Minecraft I actually spent the whole first day gathering wood...and it sure does feel good. Also, let's just say nighttime in forests are much more lively :)
Last edited by GalaxyTreader on Sat May 25, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wait... Is the socks thing for serious?
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

With a few nudges in the right direction for Better Wolves. Still spoiler free.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wait... Is the socks thing for serious?
Huh? I intentionally left the boots out of the wool armor as I was planning for this release. What doesn't compute?
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Wooooow I just tried this new release out and just.... woooooooow. :D I am very excited to find out the wolves secrets but damn, the wood changes... they hit me a lot harder than the stone changes ever did... I love it, it's so beautiful :,) thank you FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:but damn, the wood changes... they hit me a lot harder than the stone changes ever did... I love it, it's so beautiful :,) thank you FC!
Word up man. I worked on those close to a week ago, so I've almost forgotten they were in the release. Very glad you're enjoying them for being as new as they actually are :)
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Hooray! A new release!

Now, not only do we have a vast array of things that are "Better than Wolves," but we have Better Wolves to boot! Thanks for another great update, especially for the large amount of work it sounds like you put into this one (and all the other ones, to be honest).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote: Now, not only do we have a vast array of things that are "Better than Wolves," but we have Better Wolves to boot! Thanks for another great update, especially for the large amount of work it sounds like you put into this one (and all the other ones, to be honest).
I honestly had a lot of fun with this one, despite the time investment, but you're most welcome :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

So, the question now is... Is Better Than Wolves with Better Wolves still Better Than Wolves?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:So, the question now is... Is Better Than Wolves with Better Wolves still Better Than Wolves?
Better Then Wolves.