New Release! (BTW V4.81)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.81)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.81 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Fist. What this does is reduce the effectiveness of punching significantly by limiting the "knockback" on mobs to when you do a significant amount of damage to them, giving them a chance to either flee (in the case of animals), or to attack you (in the case of monsters). The lack of knockback may also apply when using weapons in a weakened state due to status effects as well, making such effects more dangerous. This was done to encourage the creation and use of weapons and to make hunting more challenging in the early game, and to make getting caught by mobs while lacking in a weapon a MUCH more terrifying experience (seriously...run...your suffering will be legendary...). Note that you can still do stuff like push mobs off cliffs by sprinting at them while punching, which will still cause knockback.

-Added the ability for zombies to break down fence gates and trap doors.

-Added the ability for moving platforms to pass through spider webs.

-Added block destroy effects (sound and particles) for when a block is destroyed by a moving platform.

-Added place and break sounds for "schluppy" blocks like Blood Wood and Spider Webs.

-Added internal hooks so that add-on authors can specify the enchantibility of items in the Infernal Enchanter.

-Changed how enchanting works for Wool and Padded armor, in that they may not be enchanted through any means.

-Changed picks to be efficient vs redstone lamps.

-Changed (reduced) the drop rate of Hemp Seeds from tall grass to encourage farming in the early game to acquire the excess seeds needed to feed chickens.

-Changed grass blocks to send a block update when they are eaten by sheep, so that they may be detected by Buddy.

-Changed fence gates and doors to send block updates when they are open or closed, so that they may be detected by Buddy.

-Fixed problem with redstone lamps not always updating the Lens correctly.

-Fixed problem with Tanned Leather, Gimp, and Chain armors not being enchantable with the Infernal Enchanter.

-Fixed problem with wood shovels giving you piles when used on Dirt Slabs.

-Fixed vanilla exploit where players could place doors in such a way that zombies couldn't break them down.

-Fixed vanilla problem where mobs would treat open trap doors as closed, and closed as open.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.81)

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW guys: was a bit of a slow week for me, so I didn't meet my goal of finalizing the early game difficulty. Will wrap that up for the next :)
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

So the mysterious feature materializes! As usual none of the guesses were correct, but though I have not yet had a chance to try it (I will as soon as this is posted) this promises to make mobs even a bit more scary, and far scarier in the case of death at night, after which, obviously, one has no weapon. As always, even a "small" release of Better Than Wolves promises to significantly improve multiple aspects of the game.

Thank you, your effort is quite appreciated.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
jak Stone

Post by jak Stone »

nice update FC it is about time even that zombies can break trap doors and gats i like that and the hardcore fist stuff very nice
aka Nitepistol on the irc
http://www.youtube.com/user/nitepistol
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Awesome sauce. Hardcore Fist fixes a problem which I hadn't even considered to be a problem (though in hindsight it undoubtably is, who punches cows to death?), improving my overall immersion and experience. As per usual, thanks for the release and the constant work you put into our free content!
Mud

Post by Mud »

Good thing I dug that mote around my cow pen.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Gotta love how the update that makes monsters more dangerous involves an update video where the recorder gets accidentally killed by mobs. It all sounds good. Thanks for making those moments of being weaponless totally terrifying.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

danielngtiger wrote:So the mysterious feature materializes! As usual none of the guesses were correct, but though I have not yet had a chance to try it (I will as soon as this is posted) this promises to make mobs even a bit more scary, and far scarier in the case of death at night, after which, obviously, one has no weapon. As always, even a "small" release of Better Than Wolves promises to significantly improve multiple aspects of the game.

Thank you, your effort is quite appreciated.
Actually, that was my first thought when I looked at the piece of code he gave us. It seemed from my point of view that the issprinting check made it a little more obvious to those of us who know java syntax. The structure of the line along with the issprinting check gave it away almost completely IMHO.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote: Actually, that was my first thought when I looked at the piece of code he gave us. It seemed from my point of view that the issprinting check made it a little more obvious to those of us who know java syntax. The structure of the line along with the issprinting check gave it away almost completely IMHO.
But you also thought all variables associated with the player were called "p", so you get a:

Haha...noob.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

FlowerChild wrote:
TheGatesofLogic wrote: Actually, that was my first thought when I looked at the piece of code he gave us. It seemed from my point of view that the issprinting check made it a little more obvious to those of us who know java syntax. The structure of the line along with the issprinting check gave it away almost completely IMHO.
But you also thought all variables associated with the player were called "p", so you get a:

Haha...noob.
Yeah... Like I said the last time I tried to code minecraft base classes was like... A year and a half ago maybe? Still inexcusable IMO, I have a bad habit of stating things as if I *know* they are correct, and I am a rather arrogant person IRL, I'll honestly admit to that. Should have actually checked if I was remembering correctly before saying that, so I do deserve the title of noob in that respect. In all honesty, the half of my brain that stops to think before saying shit came to the conclusion that knockback was involved, and then the other half shoved a nice gold-plated piece if dog shit in the way and then told the smart half to go sit in a corner.

Even without the variable thing it becomes clear when you take into account what the syntax means in regards to the issprinting check.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Thank you for another great release, FC!

Time to stock up on weapons for HCF and rebuild all my pens to be more secure, since fence gates will no longer protect my livestock from zombies.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Yay! Another update :) Thank you Flowerchild!
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Sweet man thanks for the update, bit sad it wasn't hardcore fisting though.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Oh now i see the remark a while ago ;) , if you use your fists too much it causes piles.. lol
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

My only negative comment is, since it's a change to the act of punching something, shouldn't it be Hardcore Fisting? :P

Other than that another great release which I'm sure will cause me much pain.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

Even if this update may be slow for Btw standars, is still pretty fast. You have been releasing like a machine lately. And even the small updates have interezting content.
Also the hc stratification was amazing lazt update (hadnt had time to ongrat you)
Just one thing... Shouldnt hc fist could be called hc fisting?

Ups. ninjas...
InStim

Post by InStim »

Playing again purely because BTW drew me back in with the new developments. The considered gameplay required is great and I'm really enjoying the challenge. Thank you!
TheClockWorkAndroid

Post by TheClockWorkAndroid »

Why is it not called Hardcore Fisting?
"Aufreide. Meer eh wolken eh regen eh nebel. Sieht balle eh um sieht ballen. Wir gut freude, Danach vrund dill becher."
"Melt. Sea to cloud to rain to fog. That with shape to that without. After our joy, the cup will be turned down.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Seems some people just can't appreciate the subtlety of a good Hardcore Fist every now and then...
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Foxy Boxes wrote:My only negative comment is, since it's a change to the act of punching something, shouldn't it be Hardcore Fisting? :P
Svartwolf wrote:Just one thing... Shouldnt hc fist could be called hc fisting?
TheClockWorkAndroid wrote:Why is it not called Hardcore Fisting?
In this case the differentiation between the noun and present participle is optional. It depends on whether you wish to refer to the action or the instrument used in said action as hardcore. FC wants to refer to the object-means.

<attempt to pull thread back on topic>: I'm really loving the new sounds and particles for the platform; I got to experience them first-hand when I forgot to de-gunk an elevator down into a mineshaft.
Lars

Post by Lars »

HA, I came pretty close there with my hardcore knockback guess!
Sounds like a great update, I wonder how much this will impact early gameplay. Time to try it out =D
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added internal hooks so that add-on authors can specify the enchantibility of items in the Infernal Enchanter.
Awesome :) Thanks for taking the time to consider stuff like this. Hooks are a total "above and beyond" line item and I'm stoked every time I see one show up.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Yay! Time to tweak the sheep machine!