New Release! (BTW V4.66) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.66) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.66 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Updated the mod to version 1.5.1 of Minecraft. Note that as part of this process, I ripped out almost all the new features that Mojang added as most of them serve to imbalance, are primarily useful only for their exploits, and/or don't fit well with BTW. *Some* of that functionality may be reactivated in future releases, but I want to give myself proper time to consider each individual feature and its impact on the game before making them a part of BTW, instead of rushing those decisions as part of the update process. My apologies, but vanilla design has gotten so substandard/random/absent that I am no longer comfortable just integrating anything new they put in by default, as it risks severely degrading the quality of the mod. From this point forward I intend to hold vanilla features to the same design standards that I apply when adding new features to BTW (in other words, if I wouldn't want to add it to the game myself, I won't include it in BTW), and will be referring to BTW as a "total conversion" (instead of a "mod") to reflect that. The one exception I'll be making to this is features that affect world generation (like nether quartz), as I don't want to leave holes in people's worlds by disabling them.

-Added Crucible recipe where two trip wire hooks can be melted down into 1 iron ingot.

-Added high efficiency recipe for the Turntable using smoothstone siding instead of blocks.

-Added "on" textures for both wood and obsidian detector rails, to match the vanilla stone one.

-Added crafting recipe to convert web blocks into string.

-Changed the flint block to use the vanilla bedrock texture, as was originally intended.

-Changed nether quartz to better fit with BTW and the nether.

-Changed the clock, redstone repeater, and Turntable recipes to all use nether quartz instead of redstone dust. Otherwise, the recipes remain unchanged.

-Changed picks to be effective versus Hand Cranks, levers, glass, glass panes, stone buttons, pistons, and glowstone.

-Changed axes to be effective versus wood buttons and ladders.

-Changed shears to be effective versus wool and leaf blocks.

-Changed the drops on boats when they are destroyed to better match the high efficiency recipe.

-Fixed problem with filled buckets and maps returning iron ingots when melted in a Crucible, instead of iron nuggets.

-Fixed problem with lit Mining Charges sometimes visually disappearing before they exploded.

-Fixed problem with the player moving excessively slow from side to side while climbing vines.

-Fixed vanilla problem where torches couldn't stick to the sides of redstone blocks.

-Fixed vanilla issue that was causing rendering glitches on lit TNT/Powder Kegs.

-Removed the string drop when you destroy a web with a sword. Axes and swords are still efficient at cutting through webs, but if you want the string from them, you'll need to harvest with shears, then use the above listed crafting recipe to convert it to string. Note that this makes shears an effective way of gaining access to string with which to make a bow in the early game.

-Removed vanilla method of repairing items through combining two of them in the crafting grid. It was nigh useless in general play, never made a whole lot of sense, and was creating exploits involving wither skeletons and stone swords.

-Removed the mod's automatic disabling of spawn protection with Hardcore Spawn enabled, since vanilla allows server operators to turn that off themselves now.

-Removed the mod's "reliable block update" functionality, as this now seems to be provided by vanilla.

-Removed BTW's code for preventing compasses and sundials from displaying correct information in the stats page due to the code for them changing completely. I'll reimplement that feature in a future release.

-Removed the Stoked Fire custom texture as the new vanilla system no longer supports procedural textures. For now I'm just using the regular fire texture once again, but will create a new custom texture for a future release.

-Removed the dispenser's ability to place minecarts and boats as that functionality better suits the Block Dispenser.

-Removed the dispenser's ability to place and remove water or lava buckets, even when HC Buckets is turned off. This functionality simply does not suit the block.

-Removed all the fetid and lingering remnants of the horrid monstrosity that is the Forge from the mod as part of the update to 1.5.1, since all the functionality I was still using is now provided by vanilla. Huzah! :)

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

CrafterOfMines57

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.66) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

But I thought 1.5 would surely be the update to kill BTW, completely unlike the last 10!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CrafterOfMines57 wrote:But I thought 1.5 would surely be the update to kill BTW, completely unlike the last 10!
I already made sure to rub that in over twitter ;)
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Congratulations on another great release, and also on finally getting rid of what surely felt like a weird situation of using that-which-you-most-hate's code.
FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed vanilla problem where torches couldn't stick to the sides of redstone blocks.
Woot! Beautiful, beautiful redstone blocks! I love that red! I suppose you didn't axe everything then?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DNoved1 wrote: Woot! Beautiful, beautiful redstone blocks! I love that red! I suppose you didn't axe everything then?
Nope. The most notable things I kept in were redstone blocks and nether quartz. Quartz was world gen, so I decided to adapt it to the mod (and actually integrate it into existing vanilla recipes instead of Mojang's halfway measures at doing so), and redstone blocks are almost entirely harmless, so I saw no reason to axe them.

I also left in stuff like the zombie AI changes, although I did almost entirely axe those to skeletons for reasons previously discussed on these forums.
Rampage_x

Post by Rampage_x »

Well Flowerchild, I guess I can call this my second best birthday present today.
I was thinking about going to sleep, but that's not happening now :)

Thanks again for another awesome update.
FlowerChild wrote:
Conclusion: you sound like a twat when you adopt that kind of official tone :)

Thanks for the figures though.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Awesome, new release!

I notice you didn't mention it in the changelog, so I shall spoiler this just in case:

Snip -Flower

Thanks for the new release man, I can't wait for the unwashed masses to feel the full force of the recent hardcore modes!
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Removed all the fetid and lingering remnants of the horrid monstrosity that is the Forge from the mod as part of the update to 1.5.1, since all the functionality I was still using is now provided by vanilla. Huzah! :)
Congratulations! That one must be nice. :)

Thanks for the release!
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

woo! Thank you once again Flowerchild for the update and all your hard work.

ps. nice tweet. ;)

pps, buh bye borge!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Briali wrote: I notice you didn't mention it in the changelog, so I shall spoiler this just in case:

Snip -Flower
You'll notice the no spoilers in the thread title, yes? That means no spoilers.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you for the awesome work you've done, Flowerchild! :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brilliant. if it wasn't twenty to five in the morning, I'd get started playing it asap....but I need sleep >.>

I know what I'm doing tomorrow though.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote: ps. nice tweet. ;)

pps, buh bye borge!
Hehe...thanks. I must admit I've been looking forward to rubbing that in for awhile now. Street-corner prophets of doom always get under my skin ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Just as a reminder, modloader for 1.5.1 is also required for proper installation...
Totally relevant
Show
Looking forward to exposing the secrets on camera tomorrow.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Just as a reminder, modloader for 1.5.1 is also required for proper installation...
Noob :)
Nekhs

Post by Nekhs »

Yay! Thank you thank you thank you!

I quit playing Minecraft before version 1.4.7 and came back after 1.5 so I haven't been able to play REAL Minecraft in ages.

And I'm going to be introducing a friend to this cold. *Evil grin*

This should be fun.
Check my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/nekhs.
It's usually on sometime between 12AM-3:30AM CST.
Sorry if I don't immediately reply in chat, I'm usually too busy playing the game to notice.
TheChinchilla

Post by TheChinchilla »

Thanks and congratulations for another great update! I can only imagine how glad you are to finally be rid of the Forge.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

DAMN YOU PC!!! Why did you broke on BTW release day!?!?

Ow well its waiting and lurking for me until i get that damned box back. Great work FC keep it up!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Amazing...I can't wait to give this a run.

Thanks for all your hard work FC! :)
FlowerChild at MCF wrote:Now 100% Forge Free!
Hmmmmm....new splash text? ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RezDev wrote:Hmmmmm....new splash text? ;)
Hehe...agreed. Will add that post haste :)

I'll admit that I wavered on that MCF thread title. The original read something along the lines of "(Now converted in totality!)" before I said "nah, fuck that" at the potential for another dig ;)
Grateful42

Post by Grateful42 »

I was just looking at this two hours ago to see if it was updated XD Nice work Flower!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hah, glad that forge junk is done with. Huzzah indeed.

Grats on the release man.

I only have 2 comments:

The clock change feels a tiny bit pointless for a seriously underused and overpriced item, but who cares anyway.

A quadrillion thanks for the repeater change. My precious redstone.. it's all mine, no more mr repeater eating it up.. *laughs maniacally*
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: The clock change feels a tiny bit pointless for a seriously underused and overpriced item, but who cares anyway.
Well...don't forget that I changed the recipe to use gold nuggets instead of ingots a couple of releases ago, so it's not so overpriced anymore. Quartz is also exceedingly common (same frequency as iron in overworld, but visible on the surface everywhere), so additional uses for it aren't a bad thing.

Beyond that, it was a matter of consistency, extending the concept of quartz as the "magical time keeping material" that vanilla implies, and extending that throughout the game.

Really, that concept was rather extraneous in vanilla, as redstone was already the precedent for such a material, and they didn't even bother to change the existing recipes to match, but whatever :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:A quadrillion thanks for the repeater change. My precious redstone.. it's all mine, no more mr repeater eating it up.. *laughs maniacally*
And yeah, the repeater was retardedly heavy on redstone as an ingredient, so agreed on that one :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Right, forgot about the ingot change. I don't think I've crafted a clock in mc ever since the first one way back when I started playing :P

And yeah, quartz is not exactly rare or anything, I was more talking about having to go to the nether as a prerequisite, but now that you say it it makes perfect sense.

No daylight sensor mockery by including it in the lens? :P

Also, now that I notice it, weren't shears effective on wool already? At least at one point I'm sure they were.

Anyhow, I like your consistency man, your changes always feel so right.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said