New Release! (BTW 4.65) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.65) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by FlowerChild »

WARNING: Spoilers aren't allowed in general in release threads, but for this release in particular, I'll be handing out insta-bans for anyone that posts any information not explicitly stated in the release notes. Please let people discover the new features for themselves without spoiling the experience for them. You have been warned.

Version 4.65 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added "partially abandoned" villages to the mod. These exist on the border zone between abandoned villages and normal ones, in terms of distance from spawn. This is largely an aesthetic change, and helps smooth the transition from one type to the other, but otherwise doesn't really impact the game in a way that should motivate people to start a new world or what have you.

-Added Hardcore Wood, which assigns different burn times to different wood types in the furnace. The value of the different wood types is left to the player to discover.

-Added recipe to convert clay blocks to clay balls in the crafting grid instead of having to place and break them.

-Added sounds to the furnace when it is lit for greater ambiance.

-Added weeding as part of the overall farming experience. Yeah...I'll let you figure that one out on your own ;)

-Changed (rebalanced) the relative value of wood & stone vs iron tools to make the gap in terms of effectiveness *much* wider. This is intended to make the upgrade to iron a much larger jump, and thus far more rewarding than it previously was. Generally, the nature of these changes are along the lines of a severe nerf to wood & stone (which also introduces further challenge into the early game), and durability increases to iron tools so that they'll last you longer once you obtain them.

-Changed the way blocks are harvested so that not using the appropriate tool on a material will always take a rather long time (similar to how it does when you break stone with your fist), regardless of whether you still get the result in the end. For example, it will take much longer to break logs or dig dirt with your hands, although you will still get the wood or dirt in the end. This greatly increases the value of axes and shovels in particular, which were both rather underused tools, as well as making things a tad more challenging in the early game, and also has a number of interesting consequences throughout play such as spider webs being extremely difficult to break and thus escape unless you have a blade. If there are any blocks that feel like they don't have an appropriate tool assigned to them, please let me know, as this was a rather major change and it's entirely possible I missed a few.

-Changed the name of firework rockets to better reflect their functionality.

-Changed axes to be effective when used on leaves and vines, which makes them a much quicker way to clear them. This also makes them a rather effective "machete" when attempting to navigate jungles. Also made them effective vs webs, operating under the assumption that it takes a blade of some form to hack through them, as well as cactus and wool. Basically, if you used to break it with your hands, and it's become a pain to do so...try using an axe ;)

-Changed the furnace to burn twice as long with the same amount of fuel, and to take twice as look to cook an item. This leaves the amount of total fuel required to cook an object unchanged (example: coal will still cook eight items), but makes the furnace a more viable emergency light source for the early game if you've yet to find any coal.

-Changed the furnace to burn fuel regardless of whether there are any items to cook in its inventory, for the same reason as above. This also makes furnace management more interesting in terms of avoiding wasting fuel, and furnaces automatically going out when they no longer have stuff to cook always felt rather meta-gamey anyways.

-Changed the Nethercoal recipe to produce 4 units instead of 2, and cut its burn time to half what it was in the furnace. This makes it much more efficient for use in crafting torches, while leaving total furnace output unchanged.

-Changed furnace burn times on various blocks and items so that they relate better to each other, and to correct exploits. This mostly affects wood in particular, given it's now the furnace fuel of choice since the changes to coal, but I've also tweaked burn times pretty much across the board so that they make a bit more sense relative to each other.

-Changed things internally so that furnace burn times set by mods will override those set by vanilla. I mention this in case add-on authors can also make use of it.

-Changed fishing to make it more time consuming for balance compared to other food sources.

-Changed melon and pumpkin stems to not drop seeds when they are harvested to prevent exploits. Seeds can only be obtained from the melons and pumpkins themselves. If you kill the plant before it produces fruit, well...tough luck :)

-Changed (reduced) the rate at which grass spreads to encourage larger pastures for your grazing animals (cows & sheep). This may also help performance on lower end systems as there is a *lot* of grass in the world, and it constantly makes these kinds of checks for growth, even when it's not possible.

-Changed the bucket recipe to use 7 iron nuggets in a 'U' pattern, instead of 3 iron ingots, to better balance it for the recent changes to iron.

-Changed the sound on webs to be squishier.

-Changed (tweaked) mob and animal AI a bit in ways you will likely not even notice, for a bit of subtle refinement to their behavior. I just mention it in case any odd or buggy behavior shows up as a result, in which case you should let me know.

-Removed the ability to craft wood and stone swords from the game. Note that the wood picks and shovels make for passable clubs (I've boosted the damage on the wood shovel to be the same as a pick), and the stone axe is an incrementally better weapon than the wood tools, creating a smoother progression curve to the early game, and providing a much greater reward for making iron swords, especially since you gain the ability to block with them.

-Removed the ability to craft the wood axe from the game, for the same reasons as above, and because it never made a whole lot of sense anyways.

-Removed the ability to craft wood and stone hoes from the game, which results in the player having to work their way up to the ability to farm crops in the early game. It also makes hoes and expanding your farms a more significant investment and part of the game overall, as there was never any real reason to use anything other than a stone hoe in the past. In an abstract sense, this also serves as an analogy for the player moving out of the hunter/gatherer "stone age", beginning to be able to farm crops, and being able to settle a location in a more permanent manner.

-Removed some lingering vanilla code that was causing some mobs to still stop wandering with distance from the player.

-Fixed problem with mushrooms cooking forever in the Cauldron in the presence of Dung.

-Fixed problem with books being enchantable.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

ThePowerofTower

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.65) [*** NO SPOILERS ***]

Post by ThePowerofTower »

Chocolate milk... Check. Chocolate covered bananas... Check. Chocolate covered strawberries... Check. Chocolate soul urns... Check. Chocolate covered caramel with chocolate bits... Chocolate. Fresh pair of undies (sans cocoa)... Check. Ready to play the update, boss ;P
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

This is really cool- glad my kid isnt up! New update installed on a mostly fresh wrold that i started today. Looks awesome FC.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

It's... It's beautiful T.T time for a lets play ;)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Alright. Not gonna even look too closely at the change log. Look for the vid tomorrow sometime. Cheers, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Dude, Awesome.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ThePowerofTower wrote:Chocolate milk... Check. Chocolate covered bananas... Check. Chocolate covered strawberries... Check. Chocolate soul urns... Check. Chocolate covered caramel with chocolate bits... Chocolate. Fresh pair of undies (sans cocoa)... Check. Ready to play the update, boss ;P
Teach me what you know. $_$

Can I use this as my sig?
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Wow! Another game changing update. Awesome FC, been having a blast with the last few updates.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Just a heads up FC I could still make a stone hoe in the game :/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:Just a heads up FC I could still make a stone hoe in the game :/
Doh! Fair enough. Not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, and will fix that for the next release.

EDIT: Applies to the stone sword too. Already fixed it for next release.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Created a quick 'b' version and updated the link in the OP for it.

No use letting a small thing like that taint a release ;)
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Oh goodie :) decided to take a potty break from recording and I find the fix :) also as a no spoiler comment I can already say gragrarsgasggasgsgfarsgars I love and hate you at the same time FC XD some of the changes are certainly.... interesting XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:Oh goodie :) decided to take a potty break from recording and I find the fix :) also as a no spoiler comment I can already say gragrarsgasggasgsgfarsgars I love and hate you at the same time FC XD some of the changes are certainly.... interesting XD
;) Can't wait to see the vid man!
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Wooo! New update! Time to start a Lets Play of the beginning-game :)
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

I think I found a thing. Did a ctrl+f of the entire changelog in the readme and couldn't find any mention of it with the terms I used, so... yeah. Of course it is entirely possible that this thing is not a thing from this release, but it's definitely a Better Than Wolves thing. "Thing" doesn't even look like a word anymore. Anyway.

I nearly had a heart attack. It's on video.

Well played, sir. Well played.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Aaaaand of course my computer doesn't have enough space and my entire playthrough gets deleted -.- guess my lets play submission is a no go. I gotta get better equipment first anyways but fuck that was very... irritating (to put it lightly.)

As a side note the new features in this update keep surprising/delighting me more and more :) I am loving how it feels like I truly am playing a game now :P
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Holy-Nerf, Batman!

Perfect timing on this release. I just got a day off tomorrow =)

Seems you're wholesale redesigning the broken beginning of Minecraft, FC.

I will say though that with how much wood chopping I'm doing now I'm REALLY starting to hate the tree mechanics of Minecraft. Guess I've got a reason to build a fully automated bloodwood tree farm now. Fuel my furnaces!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I need to change my pants.

Proud of yourself FC ? Well... you definitely can be.

I'm a bit tired of playing MC those days, partly because I wanted to see what other things you brought us, but once you update to 1.5 (as it will mean you are done with BTW if I recall correctly) there's definitely a new playthrough for me! No pastries requested.

Thanks a lot Dude!

Oh, and that clay change : even though blocks are mostly used as is, breaking them to get a few clay balls when needed was a huge pain in the ass. So... thanks again! (and for all the other awesomeness contained in the release!)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote:I need to change my pants.

Proud of yourself FC ? Well... you definitely can be.
Indeed I am :)
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Wow! I just spent half an hour in a new world trying this out. So many cool things that I'm not allowed to talk about! :)

Great job, FC. I can't wait to figure out how some of this stuff works. It reminded me a lot of my first experience with Minecraft, when I actually thought that this was what the game was going to be like. Slow tech progression, Slight snip -Flower, struggle to survive at first, etc. It's really impressive how you've been overhauling and re-balancing so many aspects of the game and yet, despite all the radical changes, produce something that feels so faithful to the original.

I remember all the complaining and drama that happened when you started to add more and more hardcore modes to BTW, and how you kept insisting to people that you were heading somewhere and that they should trust you. Well, I didn't doubt you, but I still was never expecting that the end result of all those changes to vanilla behavior would be something this good. The gameplay experience now really is better than ever.

Anyway, I know you've been hearing stuff like this a lot lately, but after all the constant whining that you dealt with during the transition period, I figured you won't mind some repeated praise. ;)

Thanks a lot for all your hard work!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks man! As you'll notice from my edit of your post above though, when I say no spoilers, I really mean it ;)

Please don't drop hints other than what's already in the release notes. I'm very careful to provide very limited information about key features to preserve the sense of discovery when it counts.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Oops, sorry! I was a bit over-eager and didn't catch that I was leaving a little hint. Won't happen again! And yeah, this release is definitely very fun to experience without any spoilers.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:Oops, sorry! I was a bit over-eager and didn't catch that I was leaving a little hint. Won't happen again! And yeah, this release is definitely very fun to experience without any spoilers.
No worries man. I'm the kind of guy that can usually discern the entire plot of a movie from a 30 second trailer, then never want to see the movie as a result, so yeah...I'm pretty cautious about dropping clues :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I. Love. You. First episode uploading soon.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:I. Love. You. First episode uploading soon.
Awesome :)

I'm about to turn in for the night, but look forward to watching it with my morning coffee.