New Release! (BTW V4.62)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.62)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.62 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the Iron Nugget as a new item. It is created by smelting iron ore (which produces a nugget instead of an ingot) or by dropping an iron ingot into the crafting grid. They may be crafted into iron ingots with 9 in the crafting grid (same as gold nuggets). This corrects an imbalance with iron by *greatly* increasing the difficulty of acquiring iron tools and armor in the early game (it was trivially easy before), gives purpose to leather armor, increases the value of mob traps in the late game, increases the value of tools looted off of mobs, increases the demand for coal as a resource, increases the value of trading with villagers, and generally helps spread out the early game vanilla tech tree in interesting and challenging ways that mesh well with Hardcore Hunger.

-Added Hardcore Armor to the mod. This extends some of the concepts previously just applied to Soulforged Steel armor to other armors in the game. Basically, the way it works is that every ingot (iron, gold, or Soulforged Steel) or diamond used in the crafting of armor, adds to its weight (leather armor has no such penalty). For every unit of weight in armor your character is wearing, you gain fatigue more quickly (thus requiring more food). If you have 10 units of weight or higher on, then you will also sink in water. This does a number of things to the game, primarily related to leather armor. First, it makes leather armor more valuable throughout the game, especially for long journeys, when running low on food, or when traveling over water. Secondly, it promotes mixing and matching of armor sets instead of just wearing uniform sets of whatever happens to be "best" for the stage of the game you're in. Lastly, it further increases the danger of combat, since it makes it less likely overall that the player will be well armored at any given time, unless they've specifically prepared for it. Note that while chain armor provides only slightly less protection than iron armor, it has half as much "weight" (rounded up), thus making it rather valuable if you get your hands on some, increasing the value of villager trades in the early game. The short version of Hardcore Armor is that if you wear a lot of heavy armor, you'll get hungry faster and sink in water ;)

-Added Mail as a new item. It is crafted with 8 iron nuggets in a "checkerboard" pattern on the Anvil, and may then be used to create chain mail armor using the standard vanilla armor recipes. It is intended as a late-game lightweight version of iron armor for situations where iron or Soulforged Steel may be impractical.

-Added a high efficiency boat recipe using Wood Siding instead of wood blocks.

-Added the Mushroom Omelet in both raw and cooked states as a new food item. It is created by combining a Raw Egg and a brown mushroom in the crafting grid, and then cooking the result. It is intended as an early game food source that can be farmed before finding a village, and prepared without a Cauldron.

-Added Scrambled Eggs in both raw and cooked states as a new food item. They're created by combining a Raw Egg, a bucket of milk, and a bowl in the crafting grid, and then cooking the result. It serves a similar role to the Mushroom omelet in terms of early gameplay.

-Added Mystery Meat in both raw and cooked states to act as an emergency food source, and added the ability to make Tasty Sandwiches and Hearty Stew out of it. A Steve's gotta do...

-Added Hardcore Lactation to the mod. This involves several changes to cows and milk production. First, a small food value has been added to drinking a bucket of milk to provide an early game renewable food source. Secondly, cows need to be able to eat grass in order to produce milk (similar to sheep for wool production), and will only do so periodically. Lastly, whether or not a cow can be milked will be visually indicated by the size of its udder, and both particles and sounds have been added to the milking process for greater player immersion. Also note that the above changes apply to mooshrooms and the production of mushroom stew (Cream of Mushroom), so you can no longer just get infinite bowls of it from them with no effort or delay. In combination with some of the new food recipes in this release, these changes make milk, and the tending of dairy animals, a more important and useful part of the early game.

-Added the ability to get cows and sheep to follow you by holding tall grass. You can't breed them through this method, but it's enough to trick them into following, which aids in penning them in the early game. Pigs don't believe it for a minute though.

-Changed mushroom stew to "Cream of Mushroom". It is made by combining brown mushrooms, and a bucket of milk with a bowl in the Cauldron. It is also meant as an early game food source from ingredients that can be farmed before finding a village, as well as taking care of a recipe conflict between mushroom and Hearty Stew. Also adjusted the hunger values on it to match its new role and ingredients. As a bonus, it fits rather well with it being produced by mooshrooms :)

-Changed Fish Soup to "Chowder" for the same reasons as above. It is made with fish, a bucket of milk, and a bowl in a Cauldron.

-Changed the Kebab to use brown mushrooms instead of potatoes in its recipe. It is now made with brown mushrooms, carrots, and mutton, combined with a stick in the crafting grid. It is intended as a middle-game food source for people that find carrots but not potatoes (much like Steak and Potatoes operates for potatoes).

-Changed the hunger status penalties to kick in slightly later than they did previously, in order to create a wider "buffer zone" between fat penalties and hunger penalties to further encourage keeping a store of fat on you for emergency use...without going overboard and riding pigs around :)

-Changed the dizziness/nausea effect from hunger to only kick in when the player is actually starving to death (losing health), as it was going on way too long before.

-Changed (increased) the durability of leather armor to make it a more practical option.

-Changed (increased) the durability of iron (and chain to match) armor given it is now much harder to come by.

-Changed (tweaked) the durability of Tanned Leather Armor to have a more direct correlation to that of leather armor. Tanned Leather Armor offers the same protection as regular, but has superior durability, and will thus last longer. Further refinements to this armor type will be made in an upcoming release, to make it more of a practical, and less of a "gag" item given that leather armor in general is no longer useless.

-Changed the way chain mail looks on your character in game, as frankly, it looked like total ass, and if it's going to see increased usage due to the other changes in this release, that was no longer reasonable.

-Changed the recipe for the compass to use 4 Iron Nuggets instead of ingots, to better match the changes to iron, especially in consideration of the impact they have on Hardcore Spawning.

-Changed the recipe for the clock to use 4 gold nuggets instead of ingots, to match the changes to the compass, and to promote the use of a small utility item created with an otherwise valuable resource.

-Changed mushrooms so that they don't turn to Foul Food when placed in a Cauldron with Dung. This is to correct a problem that prevented the creation of Nether Groth, and also makes some sense given mushrooms tend not to be adversely affected by the presence of poo.

-Changed the flint & steel recipe to use an iron nugget instead of an ingot, and made it shapeless.

-Changed (reduced) the rate at which you lose hunger with time slightly, to further balance Hardcore Hunger.

-Changed (reduced) the rate at which you lose hunger while pulling a Hand Crank slightly.

-Changed (refactored) the way a few things work internally to reduce the number of individual changes the mod needs to make to the item class. I just mention this in case any problems result.

-Changed the fermented spider eye recipe to use red mushrooms instead of brown, to better fit the new roles of the two mushroom types. Also fixed a problem with the previous release where they couldn't be crafted at all.

-Changed Silverfish so they only drop arcane scrolls in the end dimension. This is to further discourage farming them from the single spawner in each stronghold, and also fits better with the differences in their behavior between dimensions.

-Fixed problem with Hearty Stew not working with pork, mutton, or wolf as an ingredient. It was previously only working with beef.

-Fixed problem with the cake recipe using a regular vanilla egg instead of a Raw Egg.

-Fixed problem with soup bowls disappearing if the player consumed soup or stew and their inventory was full.

-Fixed same problem for potions and glass bottles.

-Fixed problem with hunger still draining with time in creative mode.

-Removed ability to get milk from mooshrooms using a bucket. They only produce Cream of Mushroom now.

-Removed easter-egg head drops from pigs. Sorry guys, but that gag had run its course ;)

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

BlackCat

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.62)

Post by BlackCat »

Mother of god....
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:Mother of god....
Your god can't hear your screams of pleasure and pain here.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Wow. You're on a roll, man. This must be really fun and exciting for you. Glad to see all the new features. Thanks for the hard work!
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow... Impressive. The change to iron feels a little brutal... I'm still processing that....
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Wow again I can't even describe how much this excites me.

I look forward to being confused as all hell while trying to make a "milk indicator light" more redstone automation stuff always gets me...well...you know.

Anyways, love everything I've seen here, keep it going man, you're on fire ;)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Mud

Post by Mud »

So this is the tweak to Iron armor you mentioned on the MCF. I like it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow... Impressive. The change to iron feels a little brutal... I'm still processing that....
Yes...I just made iron 9 times rarer in the early game. No joke.

Normally, I tweak by a maximum of 2X an amount. In this case though, despite my reservations I decided it works very well based on play-testing.

Give it a try...I think you'll be pleased ;)
TheChinchilla

Post by TheChinchilla »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Removed easter-egg head drops from pigs. Sorry guys, but that gag had run its course ;)
Guess I'll have to wait before updating this time. Otherwise I won't have anything to use on my archery range! ;)

Another great update!
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Wow, that's an incredible change to iron. Startling, painful and will certainly going to take some getting used to. But I can see why you made the change. A small change leads to massive alteration to gameplay. Not only are mob traps now absolutely necessary but iron armor has to be preserved carefully since it's 9 times harder to craft. I didn't used to worry about recycling iron armor, but I sure will now. :)

Good stuff. I'm going to have to start another game to test out the HCH changes as well.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

All I can do right now with all these changes is --> =D

Thank you FC another game changing update.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote:Wow, that's an incredible change to iron. Startling, painful and will certainly going to take some getting used to. But I can see why you made the change. A small change leads to massive alteration to gameplay. Not only are mob traps now absolutely necessary but iron armor has to be preserved carefully since it's 9 times harder to craft. I didn't used to worry about recycling iron armor, but I sure will now. :)
The simple fact of the matter, as many of us have stated in the past, was that iron was waaaaaaay overabundant within world gen.

So, I pulled a little game-design Judo, and instead of fucking with world gen, changed the iron output from any given block.

Like I said, I hesitated myself given how huge 9X was, but when I tested it, it just felt right.

Give it a try ;)
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

So many changes to early game recently, I feel like I have to start over again just to experience these things. Do like the changes to armor though, I've always had an issue with leather armor being worthless. I'll be happy to actually use it practically for once, especially since you can dye it and make it look awesome.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Oh I absolutely intend to, I think it's a brilliant solution honestly. :)

Love the new tagline on the minecraft forum by the way.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Wow, man... Everything in this changelog is amazing, but this is just pure genius:
-Added Hardcore Lactation to the mod.
I mean, it makes perfect sense when you think about it, and you wonder why it wasn't like that from the start, but still... genius.
The changes to iron are certainly going to be interesting. It will definitely give way more incentive to build a mob trap for its iron output, that's for sure. And now making iron/SFS beacons is going to be more challenging as well.
But making chainmail a thing, and leather armor, too... and.. and... I guess all I have to say is thank you for realizing the potential of so many forgotten minecraft features. Minecraft wouldn't be even close to being the same without this mod, and I don't know if I would even still be playing if it wasn't for your amazing work. Anyway.... Congrats FC, and thank you for another awesome release!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Wow dude, this update is huge! Glad you're still working super hard on improving stuff :)

The change to iron ore looks harsh, but it seems logical right now. I'm sure there will be people complaining about it though ;)

Gotta love cream of mushroom soup! Hooray for realistic names! And I like the change to middle game food, letting players have a break if they only find either carrots or potatoes.

Thumbs up!
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Give it a try ;)
I never make a judgment on a feature without trying it first. It's a new policy since hardcore bedding.

The man's right. Iron is a ~10 minute endeavor, sometimes even with HCH. The tiers of material are actually finally meaning something.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:But making chainmail a thing, and leather armor, too... and.. and...
As I've said previously man: wrapping up BTW means dragging vanilla kicking and screaming into being a complete game as well ;)
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

you had to release this just as I was going to bed? Gee thanks now I gotta stay up a few more hours- Thanks :)

Looking forward to playing with all the new /improved stuff. As always excellent job.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

YES YES YES, Bring on the heat FC! the harder you make minecraft the more I squel with pleasure ;) but in all seriousness this is amazing XD while the rest of the stuff is great and logical I feel like the Iron change is a real curveball. It ups the "rarity" of iron and I think we all just got so used to iron being a common resource due to WorldGen/the amount that we actually use, but DAMN! Can't wait to start another world ;)

Also since I've got custom ores installed (so veins rather than scattered packets) this is going to make Iron a much more interesting part of my BTW game ;)
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

-Changed the flint & steel recipe to use an iron nugget instead of an ingot, and made it shapeless.
You see, it's things like this, the attention to small things, that impresses me. It always bugged me that it wasn't shapeless.

As for the rest of the update, heck yes. Just...just so much goodness. I realize you're used to getting people crying about stuff, but I don't understand why. All of this makes so much sense! It's the way it SHOULD be.

Time to start checking up on the suggestions forums to see all the fun vacation giveaways.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Very cool update. Thanks a lot, FC!

I love the look of all these changes. The nerf to iron ore is much-needed. And nerfing heavy armors to make leather and chain more attractive is awesome.

All these changes to the early game are very elegant. There's so much you can do now before finding a village. I like that shears for tall grass and buckets for milk become far more useful and also nine times more expensive. It'll be interesting to have to actually think about where to spend iron, instead of just always making armor, a sword, and a pickaxe within twenty minutes of starting a new world.

Great work, and it's clear how much thought and care was put into it. Better than Wolves is finally making Minecraft into the game I thought it would be when I first saw all those "how to survive your first night" videos on Youtube. I can't wait to see what you come up with when you finally start RTH! :)
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Sounds like I'll be using stone picks again! I remember in beta 1.2 how I hardly used iron for mining. By release 1.0 though I was hardly using anything but iron. Really looking forward to trying these changes out FC. Someone on the forums bitching about how wood and stone were useful for about 5 minutes of game and then never used again. Guess you showed them ;)

One side effect of shears costing 9 times more is that I use alot of wool in my builds these days (to replicate plaster from medival housing). Guess my bases are going to evolve from dirt huts up through and into fancy steampunk tower houses now to replicate my resource scarcity and tech evolution.

EDITTED a bazillion times.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

It looks like many of these past releases are designed to make minecraft more difficult, but I'm interpreting them more as "take your time". HCH: You need to farm before you can play the rest of the game. Iron nuggets: You need to spend 9x more time in the stone age. Nothing really difficult, just annoying. Even hardcore movement was "Think about building roads" which is just another way to spend time.

I don't know that I'd start playing BTW from a new world if I was just introduced to it today, purely because the 'selling points' of the mod, what I'd be interested in as a player, don't show up until after sinking hours upon hours into a world with little to show in the results.

I think it's time to redefine what BTW brings to the table, because it isn't a tech mod anymore. It's just about at the point of total conversion.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

jakerman999 wrote:but I'm interpreting them more as "take your time".
This is truth. I think you've got the idea. Get rid of the rush by making every tier and every item viable and useful for something.

I feel like that's what FC is doing.