New Release! (BTW V4.61)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.61)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.61 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

Note: There was an error in the previous change log that specified mushrooms as part of the recipe for Kebabs. The actual recipe is mutton, carrots, potatoes, and a stick, with no mushrooms involved.

-Changed the order in which carrots are cooked in the Cauldron so that they cook up *before* any soup or stew recipes are created to prevent ordering problems between mushroom and Hearty Stew.

-Changed melons and pumpkins to only stack up to 16, to prevent them becoming hyper-efficient transportable food sources.

-Changed "Food Poisoning" (a.k.a the "Hunger" effect) so that you can't eat while suffering from it. This is to prevent exploits involving eating a whole bunch of potentially poisonous food at once so that you are only affected by it once.

-Fixed problem with the Hearty Stew, mushroom stew, and Groth recipes using the *old* mushroom items instead of the new. This basically made these items impossible to craft unless you had old mushrooms laying about. Also note that Hearty Stew requires *brown* mushrooms, not just any mushroom as stated in the previous release notes. This problem was the main reason behind this small release.

-Fixed problem with raw carrots having a higher food value than intended.

-Fixed problem with mushrooms being able to be placed and grow in any light level.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Locke

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.61)

Post by Locke »

Wow... you are just cranking these out!
Also note that Hearty Stew requires *brown* mushrooms, not just any mushroom as stated in the previous release notes. This problem was the main reason behind this small release.
Wow, if that warrants a new release... where is the "Return to Home" fund?
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Locke wrote: Wow, if that warrants a new release... where is the "Return to Home" fund?
Well, putting together this whole thing then having a couple of key recipes be broken is rather disheartening :)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Wonderful fixes man. Glad to see yer always on top of things like this. :)

I will say, the only problem I foresee with the lower stack limit on food items is storage is definitely gonna be a problem, especially for those that have automated methods of obtaining food sources. But I suppose that's nothing a little ingenuity can't solve.

EDIT: wow after rereading that second part, it really sounds more negative than I intended. sorry about that. :(
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah, it's cool man. Storage is definitely an issue with these changes, but I think it's one we can all (myself included) adapt to rather quickly for the sake of a richer gameplay experience overall.
Six

Post by Six »

CycloneSP wrote: I will say, the only problem I foresee with the lower stack limit on food items is storage is definitely gonna be a problem, especially for those that have automated methods of obtaining food sources. But I suppose that's nothing a little ingenuity can't solve.
The positive I see from this, is an actual reason for a 'kitchen' area. Before I would generally just have a 'food' chest, with half of it raw products and half of it cooked, or even just leaving all cooked things in a cauldron.
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

Im loving the update. It inspired me to build an automatic egg farm inside my base. However, my mooshroom that I have trapped in a pin is still my primary source of food. I can't help but feel like using a mooshroom is cheating a little...
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Six wrote:The positive I see from this, is an actual reason for a 'kitchen' area. Before I would generally just have a 'food' chest, with half of it raw products and half of it cooked, or even just leaving all cooked things in a cauldron.
Heh, was actually considering a "kitchen" staffed by villagers this morning. That'll have to wait, though. I will be making a cookbook, though, as there's no way in hell I'm going to remember all these recipes in a week. Too much effort went into all this to just end up making one and forgetting about all others.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Cook book you say? *gasp* a lame vanilla item now actually has a plausible use! The book and quill item! Wow, scary thought. :P

But seriously, the writable book item would be kinda handy to have if you can't remember the recipes for all of steve's tasty treats.

As for the idea of a kitchen area, if you live in snow biome, go full out and construct yourself an old fashioned 'icebox' by using a chest surrounded by ice surrounded by snow/wood for decoration. Would look kinda cool.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MrPlatypus wrote:Im loving the update. It inspired me to build an automatic egg farm inside my base. However, my mooshroom that I have trapped in a pin is still my primary source of food. I can't help but feel like using a mooshroom is cheating a little...
Hehe...I know man. I wrestled with the mooshroom thing quite a bit while developing the last release, to the point where I ripped it out at one point, then put it back in :)

I think if you consider how much in-game work it took you to get that mooshroom, you'll realize having the soup is a rather fair rewards for it.

Also, that soup is a rather low value food item, so I doubt you'll be satisfied with it for long ;)
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you Flowerchild!

PS: I think my question is not worth starting a new thread, so... well, is that normal to sometimes have a higher fat level than food level?
Also, is there an efficient way to lose fat? I still have the bad habit to eat without looking how many food points I need, and currently the only way I found to lose some fat is to stay AFK and wait for the food/fat levels to go down. Either this or suiciding... Both cases are not really cool. Thanks!
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

xou816 wrote:Thank you Flowerchild!

PS: I think my question is not worth starting a new thread, so... well, is that normal to sometimes have a higher fat level than food level?
Also, is there an efficient way to lose fat? I still have the bad habit to eat without looking how many food points I need, and currently the only way I found to lose some fat is to stay AFK and wait for the food/fat levels to go down. Either this or suiciding... Both cases are not really cool. Thanks!
Funnily enough, from what I've seen, exercise (like running around) has helped me out. Or maybe hand-cranks. It's certainly something I still need to play with more. :)
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Thanks man. That's a quite fast fix update considering that you were tired from last one because of its unexpected being "big" thing.

By the way, when i woke up today, I was scrolling down the IRC when i saw your comment about making saddles. So what i would like to know as if it will be implemented one day, because being fat, and riding pig is one of "must do" thing. lol
xou816 wrote: PS: I think my question is not worth starting a new thread, so... well, is that normal to sometimes have a higher fat level than food level?
About that if its normal that food gives more fat then hunger is apsolutly how it should be for some of the food.

And yes, there is way to lose weight. Handcrank would be the best device for you!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xou816 wrote: PS: I think my question is not worth starting a new thread, so... well, is that normal to sometimes have a higher fat level than food level?
Depends how much. If it's less than one pip above hunger, the yes. More than that, then no. Fat only burns off once hunger is below its level, so that it functions like a backup food store much like it does in the consensus reality.

And as mentioned above, hand cranks make for excellent exercise machines :)
ion

Post by ion »

how it affects the trading with villagers with lower stack food storage?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:And as mentioned above, hand cranks make for excellent exercise machines :)
LOL, Now people have to actually start building functional gyms in their bases XD
I wanna see a piston based stair master.

Now that's what I call emergent game play.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Hand cranks. Yeah... of course :) To the gym floor! (I'm sure I still have those hand cranks...)
Thanks!
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

ion wrote:how it affects the trading with villagers with lower stack food storage?
I see what you mean; lots of villagers wish to trade for 17 or more of a food type - now not possible.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

The great randomo wrote:
ion wrote:how it affects the trading with villagers with lower stack food storage?
I see what you mean; lots of villagers wish to trade for 17 or more of a food type - now not possible.
Didn't FC mention that he had plans for villagers? Probably best to wait for that before complaining here
Last edited by Shengji on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Stop the off-topic guys, for your own sake ;)

Still didn't get a chance to play 4.60, but I'm really eager to start and try, it looks fucking epic :)
Well done sir, well done :)
barcode

Post by barcode »

Just wanted to add my "thank you" to the list, the hardcore hunger update is nothing short of amazing. Seriously man, you by yourself are easily outgunning everything Mojang has done to the game as of late, and in much less time. Sleep much? =)

Great stuff, seriously, way beyond anything I was expecting. This is epic.
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
Locke

Post by Locke »

barcode wrote:Just wanted to add my "thank you" to the list.

KILL HIM WITH THANKFULNESS.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I'll comment further once I've had a chance to play with hc hunger but something stood out to me in this change log. Can't eat while having poison or hunger effect. Damn man, well played. I didn't even realize I've been abusing that mechanic in vanilla for years. I've often used rotten flesh as a means to survive in a pinch. This effectively removes that. Thanks for once again preventing me from ruining my own experience!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Kebobs.. i mean... Kebabs. yay!
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Rotted flesh is a very effective 'purge' item...
Better is the enemy of Good