New Release! (BTW 4.59)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.59)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.59 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the ability for snow to accumulate around tall grass, flowers, saplings, and other similar forms of vegetation, to provide a more uniform and aesthetically pleasing distribution. Note that spruce saplings will grow when covered in snow, but other varieties of tree will not.

-Changed (optimized) the way the ray-tracing vs snow works from the last release, to prevent potential performance issues.

-Fixed problem that was causing add-on authors to have difficulties updating to version 4.58 of BTW. This change is the primary reason for this release.

-Fixed problem that was causing Hardcore Spawn to cycle through a short list of respawn locations rather than respawning the player at a truly random location.

-Fixed visual glitch where if you destroyed a slab (or other similar block) with snow resting on it, the snow would briefly appear floating above the area it previously occupied.

-Fixed problem with snow not being to accumulate in the space in front of Detector Blocks, or in a Lens beam.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ribky

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.59)

Post by Ribky »

Wow, didn't expect this :) Thank you!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

<3

Nuff said :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

:) Yay! Thanks for this! And the last release too, didn't get a chance to spend some time with it and comment yet until today. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. BTW is becoming more and more immersive and rounding out the game every release!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

The snow around tall grass will finally cure my ocd about it! and probably many others too...
You are a machine, FC!
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Wooo, you did it :) (I never doubted you would for a minute)

Glad you thought it was a good idea, one question though: Does snow accumulate on wheat that's growing in tilled soil?

Other than that query, love this release so much <3
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Awesome will see if this improves the issues we discussed previously :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote: Glad you thought it was a good idea, one question though: Does snow accumulate on wheat that's growing in tilled soil?
Nope, it doesn't. I considered doing it, but given tilled earth is not a full block in height, it would have complicated matters substantially, and this was meant as a quick release :)

I might consider it for the future though.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Detritus wrote: Glad you thought it was a good idea, one question though: Does snow accumulate on wheat that's growing in tilled soil?
Nope, it doesn't. I considered doing it, but given tilled earth is not a full block in height, it would have complicated matters substantially, and this was meant as a quick release :)

I might consider it for the future though.
Cool, I had thought you might do it even as simply as just changing the colour of the tops of the earth, and maybe prevent growth while snow is covering it. Anyway, you're the designer, so do what you think will work. Whatever decision you make will be a good one :D
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Cool, I had thought you might do it even as simply as just changing the colour of the tops of the earth, and maybe prevent growth while snow is covering it. Anyway, you're the designer, so do what you think will work. Whatever decision you make will be a good one :D
I don't need suggestions for it thanks (particularly not here).
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Detritus wrote:Cool, I had thought you might do it even as simply as just changing the colour of the tops of the earth, and maybe prevent growth while snow is covering it. Anyway, you're the designer, so do what you think will work. Whatever decision you make will be a good one :D
I don't need suggestions for it thanks (particularly not here).
Yeah, sorry :)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Regarding snow in front of lens beams: When snow falls into a lens beam the beam becomes focused on that piece of snow. This causes heat from the focused light to build up and melt the snow, doesn't it? Or is this more of a balance issue than n immersion one?
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

The snow looks amazing on flowers and grass. Another good one, as always.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote:Regarding snow in front of lens beams: When snow falls into a lens beam the beam becomes focused on that piece of snow. This causes heat from the focused light to build up and melt the snow, doesn't it? Or is this more of a balance issue than n immersion one?
That's a fair point. I made the change for the Detector Block, but the Lens uses the same logic blocks so it was a side-effect of that.

Will think about it.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Thanks alot Flowerchild!
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

I'm really excited to get to do more with the snow stuff in the future. Currently my world I'm playing on is in the desert. But amazing release all the same.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'll nickname this one the ocd release. Can't wait to see snow covered landscapes with all these changes :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
MrPlatypus

Post by MrPlatypus »

Thanks for the quick release! Looks like I will have to make a fortress in the nearest Taiga biome.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the ability for snow to accumulate around tall grass, flowers, saplings, and other similar forms of vegetation, to provide a more uniform and aesthetically pleasing distribution. Note that spruce saplings will grow when covered in snow, but other varieties of tree will not.
You, sir, are an artist.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
ion

Post by ion »

snow build it could have been better and needs some some details. the new snow on slabs added new potential for buildings
Spoiler
Show
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Thank you kind sir. I wasn't exactly sure what to do when I saw the decompile errors. Also the snow is cool :P
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I'm a bit late to the party, but well, the least I can do is thanking you for your work :)
So there you go, thank you once more for your dedication!
(would have been ashamed of downloading it without saying "thanks"^^)