New Release! (BTW V4.58)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.58)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.58 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the beginnings of Hardcore Villagers to the mod. Note that this is just the start of the changes I will be making to them, but I wanted to get these in now as it establishes a base-line of behavior for them, and these changes may affect existing builds (they eliminate the ability to create automated villager and iron golem farms). Villagers no longer reproduce on their own, and instead must be given diamonds to cause them to enter love mode (similar to animals with wheat/carrots). They will also no longer create iron golems on their own, and zombies may no longer be "cured" to turn into villagers. As such, villagers must be found in order to obtain them, bred to create a population, and the player has a much more vested interest in protecting them from harm. Future changes will expand upon this behavior in order to make villagers a more interesting part of the game overall.

-Added the ability for snow to accumulate on partial blocks with a solid top surface, like slabs and Siding. This means the player can no longer avoid snow accumulation by doing stuff like building roads out of slabs, and will also result in more pleasing looking buildings in snow biomes.

-Added textures to Dirt Slabs with grass on them so that they appear with snowy sides when they have snow on top of them, as happens with regular grass blocks.

-Changed blocks rotated by the Turntable, blocks swallowed by the Block Dispenser, and silverfish blocks so that the particles they produce respect the options for number of particles displayed. This should help performance on low end systems that use these options, in situations where there are a lot of automated systems running.

-Changed the Infernal Enchanter so that it can apply enchantments to tools normally restricted to the vanilla anvil (e.g. unbreaking to a bow, or efficiency to shears).

-Changed the Cauldron and Crucible so that their inventory may not be accessed if the open side is obstructed by a solid block (similar to chests).

-Changed the way gravel behaves when harvested with a fortune enchant so that it no longer ever drops flint. This behavior fits BTW's ability to filter gravel into sand and flint with the Hopper much better, as just getting flint from a harvest becomes more of a penalty than a bonus.

-Changed the probability of mobs spawning with enchanted equipment to be uniform across difficulty levels to further discourage players changing their difficulty to affect mob trap output.

-Changed (reduced) the frequency that skeletons spawn with enchanted bows as they were outputting at too high a rate in mob traps due to my previous changes to them almost always dropping them on death.

-Fixed problem with the Packed Earth texture that was causing visible seams between blocks.

-Fixed problem with Ender Spectacles and True Sight not functioning with minimal particle settings. They'll now work, but with a greatly reduced number of particles being displayed.

-Fixed problem with Ender Spectacles and True Sight creating a buildup of particles while the game is paused.

-Fixed problem with the Lens not projecting onto surfaces anymore. It will now project on *all* solid surfaces neighboring on a beam's end point.

-Removed clay drop from silverfish in the overworld, as it was unfortunately encouraging spawner based traps (which are bad...mkay?). They will now only drop clay in the end dimension under the assumption that no eating equates to no poop.

-Removed numerical debug display of item damage since this could be considered an exploit under Hardcore Info.

-Removed ability to rotate Siding, Moulding, and Corners by right clicking with an empty hand. This feature was making the corresponding blocks feel "less solid", was leading to exploits such as creating cheap doors out of siding, and was also leading to excessively easy griefing in SMP. Since the inclusion of a more refined placement method for these blocks, this feature has also become less significant. Note that they may still be rotated on the Turntable.

-Removed right-click rotation on Axles for the same reasons as above. The only mod block that can be rotated in this manner now are Gear Boxes, as it is more of a configuration setting for them than an actual physical rotation.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

obl1terat1ion

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.58)

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Great job as always man!
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I likey :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Your work rate astounds me, as does its quality. Though your villager changes make me question whether I should start over my village and be forced to either collect or breed villagers. As it stands, I have about 100 villagers from my lame normal village, so it kinda feels like cheating considering villagers now cost a diamond.

In any case, thanks for the update, and good luck on finishing up BTW!
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

ah, update day! the most wonderful day of the week! Great update man, I really am glad to see the bow output lowered as I ended up building an overly fancy trash can out of two BD's to get rid of those bows. Glad to hear about the villager update man looking forward to some testing!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Good changes. Always thought that being able to turn a gear sideways to stop a machine was a bit too gamey for your taste.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
StarsintheSky

Post by StarsintheSky »

Very exciting! I've got my keep fairly stabilized and I'm ready to start expanding into the hinterlands. I've got a breeding pair of villagers just waiting for the first wooden shack and pair o' diamonds.

Thank you!
IGN: Beschaulichkeit
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Thank you sir :)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow diamonds to breed villagers. That changes their value dramatically...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow diamonds to breed villagers. That changes their value dramatically...
They're each unique and individual snowflakes, yes :)

Villagers will be changing in vibe overall pretty substantially over coming releases. The most fun I've had with them personally is in nurturing them individually, with no real in-game motivation for that, and these changes are the beginning of me emphasizing that aspect of gameplay.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:The most fun I've had with them personally is in nurturing them individually, with no real in-game motivation for that
You're going soft on me man...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: You're going soft on me man...
Lol! Breed a few villagers then get back to me :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Hmm, not sure whether I'm completely sold on the changes to sidings and such. I use a lot of siding-outside-walls in my buildings and my trick to building them was to create a wooden frame, fill it up with sidings, then whack them into place (which can all be done from the inside of the building and doesn't take as long as you might think. You just need to hold the right button while looking sideways at the "open" side of the wall).

Doing that same wall now will require me to place dirt on the inside of the building as a "back stop", then make scaffolding on the outside so I can reach the area, place the sidings, then tear down all the scaffolding again.

I agree with the reasoning behind the change as I regularly accidentally whack one of out place, but I will be missing the ability in general. Have you considered creating some kind of tool for the ability? The ubiquitous wrench from other mods might not feel quite right (who rotates blocks with a wrench), but still... it'd allow for the best of both worlds.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:Have you considered creating some kind of tool for the ability? The ubiquitous wrench from other mods might not feel quite right (who rotates blocks with a wrench), but still... it'd allow for the best of both worlds.
Sure I've considered it. Then I sobered up and realized what a terrible idea it was.

No suggestions in release threads please.
wirer

Post by wirer »

wow. no more rearranging of sidings. building with sub-blocks just hit a new difficulty.

Its...game-changing...i guess..

oh well. back to building with normal blocks until i figure out how sub-block placement works.
devak

Post by devak »

wirer wrote:wow. no more rearranging of sidings. building with sub-blocks just hit a new difficulty.

Its...game-changing...i guess..

oh well. back to building with normal blocks until i figure out how sub-block placement works.
TBH i don't care about that. It was kind of 50/50. Half-annoying, half-useful. When placing sidings and mouldings wrong i usually just break it to put it back in place again properly. Much faster than 6 or so clicks. Also, i have had to fix sidings tons of times because i misclicked with an empty hand.

The only reason i do not feel 100% happy about it is this: in my mobtrap i use alternating whitestone/netherbrick sidings. The whitestone is attached to the "outside" and the netherbrick is essentially to the "inside" making it appear like the netherbrick is a full block and not a siding. I placed that netherbrick using the rightclick and it's quite useful.

That's about it: the rightclick is useful for placing it in difficult positions.
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Snow accumulating on things like slabs/stairs may be the best feature ever. Thank you so much for this.
I'm curious though, do you mean it gathers on upside down slabs/stairs, rather than regular slabs and rightside up stairs? It seems like the latter would be harder to code, so I was just wondering.
Also, does this change apply to sidings?
Quality comes before quantity.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

ThatOneDude wrote:Snow accumulating on things like slabs/stairs may be the best feature ever. Thank you so much for this.
I'm curious though, do you mean it gathers on upside down slabs/stairs, rather than regular slabs and rightside up stairs? It seems like the latter would be harder to code, so I was just wondering.
Also, does this change apply to sidings?
Snow now gathers on any half block with the "empty" half facing upwards. this includes all sidings and slabs mod type or otherwise. unfortunately it does not gather on right side up stairs because that would be annoying as hell to code, if even possible.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote: Snow now gathers on any half block with the "empty" half facing upwards. this includes all sidings and slabs mod type or otherwise. unfortunately it does not gather on right side up stairs because that would be annoying as hell to code, if even possible.
It's definitely possible, but given it would have taken me another day or so to code all the different possibilities, I decided that enough was enough :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ooh, I see villager changes :]

Excited to see where this will go :]

Right click rotation on axles wasn't important in the first place, it's easy to place them correctly the first time. Not the same can be said for gearboxes, so I'm very glad you kept that ;]

I'm also glad on the reduction of skeleton bow drop rate, these things are almost useless in the first place :P

As for the snow changes, I like when I see aesthetic changes from you man, because it usually means it's something quite immersive for you to bother with it ;]

(yes I know it's not pure aesthetics with half blocks btw)

Good stuff man. :]

EDIT: Too..many..smilies..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks dude! And yeah, the snow changes were largely motivated by the impact it has on Hardcore Movement, so it is indeed gameplay related, but I consider the aesthetic impact to be a nice bonus.
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

Absolutely loving everything this release has to offer, it actually makes me want to go and visit the village I found. Thanks for everything FC :)
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Very nice release!... as always :) Thank you!
Too bad all the villagers in my village have died (my village is very near the spawn, I guess they got killed by zombies during the first days...)
Bynari

Post by Bynari »

The changes to the way villagers are bred are great- the old way was badly designed and painful to try to make work in the village I built near my base. I did however like the ability to capture and cure zombie villagers.. I found it to be a rather fun mechanic and not particularly OP, as the gunpowder for the splash potions can be hard to come by early on in the game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

With the villagers: keep in mind that isn't a finished feature as stated in the release notes. Hopefully, once you guys see the end result you'll understand why the basic functionality provided now works the way it does.

Or, you might not, but whatever :)