New Release! (BTW V4.57)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.57)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.57 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Packed Earth as a new block type. It is created by placing two dirt blocks one on top of the other in the crafting grid (they may be converted back to regular dirt in the crafting grid as well, allowing them to be used for bulk storage), and provides a means of creating dirt paths to be used in conjunction with Hardcore Movement. This block provides the same movement bonuses as other "man made" blocks, and vegetation will not grow onto it, thus providing additional aesthetic options for road design.

-Added Packed Earth slabs that may be created by placing two Packed Earth blocks side by side in the crafting grid, to provide further refinement in creating dirt paths.

-Added sources for all the remaining Arcane Scrolls that were missing from the mod. Happy hunting :)

-Added a new common drop to witches: "Witch Wart". This item replaces redstone in potion brewing recipes in order to extend the duration of various potions, which gives specific value to finding and farming witches without the balance destroying effects of their previous vanilla drops. This also serves to make potion brewing more challenging and rewarding.

-Added a new common drop to silverfish to make farming them much more worthwhile.

-Added the ability to use hoes on the block that shall not be named.

-Changed snow so that it can accumulate on any block with a solid top surface, such as upside down slabs and Tables, since snow is now a more significant factor in the construction of roads with the addition of Hardcore Movement to the mod.

-Changed skeletons so that if they're carrying a magical bow, it will drop on death with a much greater frequency than regular bows. Thus, if you see one holding a magic bow, it's much more worthwhile to kill them to try and get it.

-Changed skeletons in the nether so that they fire infinite arrows, and will not drop Rotted Arrows upon death.

-Changed the Arcane Scrolls drop on Ghasts, and removed the drop from iron golems and villagers.

-Changed (reduced) the rate of spread of silverfish.

-Changed compasses and clocks on the stats page so that they can't be used as a means to get a compass heading or time without actually making the items in question.

-Changed Bloodwood Saplings to apply the movement penalty associated with other vegetation under Hardcore Movement.

-Changed librarian villagers to buy book shelves rather than sell them.

-Fixed problem with fire not rendering properly on top of some mod sub-blocks, like Tables.

-Fixed problem with Night Vision Beacon effect displaying "Night Vision II", even though there's no second level to that effect.

-Fixed problem with Composite Bows producing 2 string when broken down in a Cauldron, even though they are made with just 1.

-Fixed problem with Mouldings sometimes auto-connecting to aesthetic blocks of the same material type (e.g. Columns).

-Fixed problem with wood fences made out of anything other than oak not cutting into Corners with the Saw.

-Fixed problem with not being able to place pressure plates on mod fences.

-Fixed problem with some Arcane Scrolls dropping in creative mode (they aren't supposed to).

-Removed sound associated with entities moving through vine traps as it was resulting in excessive bandwidth consumption in SMP.

-Removed enchanted books from villager trades since they aren't used in the mod.

-Removed particle effects originating from beacon powers as they provided little in the way of information, and got really annoying in bases with beacons in place. Particles from actual potions will still be displayed.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

BlackCat

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.57)

Post by BlackCat »

I think my brain just exploded from the amazingness.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Sweet release!
I guess i'll go hide all the incoherent responses on mcf then ;)
Also - Installing nao!
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Packed Earth as a new block type.

-Changed snow so that it can accumulate on any block with a solid top surface, such as upside down slabs and Tables, since snow is now a more significant factor in the construction of roads with the addition of Hardcore Movement to the mod.
I've been wanting these two features from a mod for so long, man. Seriously. Awesome.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

You say this is "nothing super exciting", all of this is exciting! anyway great job as always :)
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

Thanks for this FC! It took awhile to read through that giant change log. The Packed Earth looks really cool as a type of pathway.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Beautiful. The packed earth block is a nice way to have a dirt path through a garden, as it can give the impression of a path that's been worn down by people walking along it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

YAY!!!! I like the packed dirt idea, very simple yet very creative, I'm very curious about the slight change to "that block" what might a hoe do to it exactly? or am i thinking to much into it? Another great mod release FC :) cant wait to see what this is all about!
Edit:
FlowerChild wrote:-Added sources for all the remaining Arcane Scrolls that were missing from the mod. Happy hunting :)
My GOD!!! almost missed this!!! Good job FlowerChild! :)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
wirer

Post by wirer »

wargh*insert frustration sounds here*

the new update sounds awesome, but i can't install yet.

laptop died. using family computer. BTW is too-awesome-expansive to play for such a short new world, while i get my lappy fixed.

woohoo dirt paths! and witches! now i actually have to find witches!

great to see a new update since HC silverfish. still havent figured out that one.

edit: woo scrolls for all! ENCHANT ALL THE STEEL TOOLS!
Last edited by wirer on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

So many new things to do as a result of this update! *violently explodes*
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

BlackCat wrote:think my brain just exploded from the amazingness.
Mine is already all over the wall. Yeesh. FC, I come from the shadows of lurking to say it once again: You're the man.
TheGatesofLogic wrote:I'm very curious about the slight change to "that block" what might a hoe do to it exactly? or am i thinking to much into it?
I think it might be:
Spoiler
Show
Blight. Haven't played much with it, but it would make sense. Maybe we can plant Witch Wart on it? Damnit, I'm going nuts already!
FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed problem with some Arcane Scrolls dropping in creative mode (they aren't supposed to).
This kind of thing makes me sad. You have to spend development time on a mode that isn't supported, simply because people would "exploit" it and spoil stuff that they could be finding out the legit way. If there was no Creative mode at all, you wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing. Oh, well.

Anyways, awesome update again, FC. Thanks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:This kind of thing makes me sad. You have to spend development time on a mode that isn't supported, simply because people would "exploit" it and spoil stuff that they could be finding out the legit way. If there was no Creative mode at all, you wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing. Oh, well.
True enough, but it was a very small thing this time.

You can be certain I shall correct that oversight on RTH though. I recently went on a twitter rant about optional modes and options in general, but yeah...that's definitely not the route I'll be going with my own project.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Thanks for the update FC, It looks great and I will download it tomorrow.

Code: Select all

-Added Packed Earth as a new block type.  It is created by placing two dirt blocks one on top of the other in the crafting grid (they may be converted back to regular dirt in the crafting grid as well, allowing them to be used for bulk storage), and provides a means of creating dirt paths to be used in conjunction with Hardcore Movement.  This block provides the same movement bonuses as other "man made" blocks, and vegetation will not grow onto it, thus providing additional aesthetic options for road design.  
This looks really cool can't wait to try this out.

-Added a new common drop to witches: "Witch Wart".  This item replaces redstone in potion brewing recipes in order to extend the duration of various potions, which gives specific value to finding and farming witches without the balance destroying effects of their previous vanilla drops.  This also serves to make potion brewing more challenging and rewarding.
I think this is awesome now I can focus using my redstone for redstone and I can farm witches which was something I wanted to do untill to took the drops from them. Now that they have drops I will be searching for a swamp biome!

-Added a new common drop to silverfish to make farming them much more worthwhile.
Too bad i'm no where near a farm for this I'll be paying close attention to the spoiler thread.

-Changed librarian villagers to buy book shelves rather than sell them.
Will there be more changes to villagers? I'm excited for some more.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Will there be more changes to villagers? I'm excited for some more.
Yup, there definitely will be. I was tempted to release a bunch of changes this time, but decided to hold off for the full revamp which should be coming next release.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Cheers, mate. Looking forward to checking this stuff out.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

There is so much awesome in this update I'm not sure where to begin. Apparently I actually have to go find a witch hut location now. The packed earth is a simple, elegant and inspired idea. Thanks as always FC!
Haikoo

Post by Haikoo »

great job, many change to expreriment for holiday :)

thx for giving us your time just for our pleasure
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Flowerchild wrote:-Changed snow so that it can accumulate on any block with a solid top surface, such as upside down slabs and Tables, since snow is now a more significant factor in the construction of roads with the addition of Hardcore Movement to the mod.
Oooh, you devil! I have been exploiting the crap out of this and was about to come clean and muddy the waters of the suggestion subforum!

EDIT:

Good bye, lovely exploity clear roads, miss you!
Spoiler
Show
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you for this update!
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

I was just thinking yesterday how cool it would be to have dirt roads in BTW, and sure enough here it is xD Thanks for another well thought and amazing update FC :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Great release, FC! Unfortunately I'm still unable to play MC due to computer issues - I need to find money to build a PC ...

You realise you have, quite literally, sent players on a witch hunt with this release, right? ;)

Great job, man. Cannot wait to play BTW again. I tried it briefly after HC Movement came out, but my temporary system doesn't allow for framerates greater than 10 fps with MC, so ...
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

These changes will definitely make the mod feel more rounded out and finished! I have some questions and other thoughts, but I'll keep them to myself until I actually play with them.

Looks like lots of fun and I'm very excited to have the ability to get all the arcane scrolls.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

-Changed skeletons so that if they're carrying a magical bow, it will drop on death with a much greater frequency than regular bows. Thus, if you see one holding a magic bow, it's much more worthwhile to kill them to try and get it.
this one felt a little OP, as the little time my very slow Mob Trap was working, it got lot's of enchanted bows.
aside from that, great release.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Thank you so much for this! Can't wait to go and find the stronghold now and find out what silverfish drop! And Packed Dirt? Genius! Love dirt roads!
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

RalphKastro wrote:
this one felt a little OP, as the little time my very slow Mob Trap was working, it got lot's of enchanted bows.
aside from that, great release.
This.
I spent about an hour around my relatively slow mob farm, and got about 13 enchanted bows.
Love the silverfish drop btw. Absolutely makes sense :).
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.