New Release! (BTW V4.891)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.891)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.891 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Archery. This makes a few changes to the way bows work. First, it requires players to have arrows in their hot-bar in order to use them, abstracting the idea of a quiver, making bows a little more inconvenient to use to balance their power, and also allowing the choice of precisely what kind of arrows to use at any given time. Arrows are used in left to right order should the player have multiple arrow types in their hot bar, and note that infinity enchanted bows do not require arrows in the hotbar (although they will use them if present) increasing the value of that enchantment. Secondly, it reduces the range of Rotted Arrows when used with a regular bow (they still always break when used with a Composite Bow), reducing their effectiveness to further encourage making your own arrows. Lastly, it reduces the output on the arrow recipes so that you only get 1 arrow instead of 4, making them a much more valuable commodity (the Broadhead recipe has had its output boosted slightly to compensate for the amount of Soulforged Steel it consumes).

-Added Hardcore Enchanting. This rebalances the vanilla enchanting table in various ways to make it a better integrated part of the BTW tech tree, and to make it feel more like a feature and less like an exploit. This feature is comprised of various changes that are listed individually below.

-Added the Redstone Latch as a new item. This device creates a small amount of physical force when a redstone signal is applied, which can then be used to trigger various devices, and is meant to bridge the gap between redstone as a pure signal and various blocks that produce physical results (such as doors), following the in-game logic of powered rails producing similar results. It is created by crafting redstone dust with a horizontal line of three gold nuggets above. This is intended to bring both a bit more consistency to the internal game logic of what redstone does, and is also intended to increase the value of gold throughout the game.

-Added Soulforged Steel Nuggets as a new item for consistency with the other metals, and because the recipes involving ingots were getting overly complex for nothing, especially when the items were being melted down in a Crucible.

-Added high efficiency recipe for Black Stone (nether quartz) Stairs, made out of three Black Stone Moulding.

-Added a slight delay in recovering your air supply upon surfacing to prevent exploits involving placing temporary blocks like torches to create air pockets.

-Added sound effect for when the player is underwater and wearing a Soulforged Steel Helm with a respiration enchantment. Yes, that's extremely special case. I couldn't resist :)

-Changed the recipes for the following blocks to use the Redstone Latch in place of redstone dust: iron door, dispenser, note block, Gear Box, and Pulley. The recipes remain unchanged otherwise.

-Changed gold ore to smelt into nuggets instead of ingots. In the end, I decided that while previously it had been my hope to maintain the value of mining gold throughout the game, that it wasn't winding up being particularly compelling anyways, and that I'd prefer to further incentivize the construction of nether mob traps in the late game given that. Additionally, gold was primarily getting abused as an early game tool substitute for iron given its relative abundance. In the early to mid game, mining gold now has value given the changes with the redstone latch, and in the late, the desire to create additional redstone devices hopefully serves to further promote nether mob trap construction.

-Changed Crafting Tables and Furnaces to drop parts instead of whole blocks when harvested (unless a silk touch enchant or Block Dispenser is used) to fit better with the concept of these being non-portable workstations in contrast to the small crafting grid the player has in their inventory. This is intended to encourage putting a bit more thought and planning into the setting up of more permanent installations for these crafting devices rather than just carrying them around and placing them wherever and whenever they're needed.

-Changed the vanilla enchantment table to not be able to apply some of the more powerful enchantments, which now may only be acquired through finding pre-enchanted tools and weapons, or through using the Infernal Enchanter (or through beacons in some cases). This applies to silk touch, fortune, sharpness, father fall, and protection. Basically enchants that have very specific (and powerful) effects (like silk touch & feather fall), or those that apply general bonuses (such as protection & sharpness) as opposed to specific ones (like blast protection or smite), have been moved higher in the tech tree to create more of a progression to enchanting overall.

-Changed the vanilla enchantment table to no longer be able to enchant bows and wood tools (the latter for consistency, implying that wood is a particularly difficult material to enchant). This is strictly the domain of the infernal enchanter now.

-Changed the vanilla enchantment table to be crafted using Black Stone (nether quartz) blocks instead of obsidian, and an Ancient Manuscript instead of a book, to bump it up *slightly* in the overall tech tree as well as to increase the value of quartz.

-Changed the vanilla enchantment table to only be able to apply enchantments up to level 15 instead of 30.

-Changed the number of book shelves around the vanilla enchantment table required to get the maximum level enchant (level 15) back to 30 instead of 15. In other words, it will require 2 book shelves for ever level of enchanting. Additionally, the enchantment table will only produce level 1 enchants without any bookshelves at all.

-Changed the vanilla enchanter so that the top slot will always provide a level 1 enchantment, the bottom slot will always provide an enchantment of the maximum level allowed by the shelves present, and the middle slot will provide some random value in between the two to minimize annoyance in its usage.

-Changed the Broadhead Arrow recipe to use shafts instead of Moulding. It was confusing for no good reason.

-Changed the Broadhead (arrowhead) recipe to use Soulforged Steel Nuggets instead of ingots.

-Changed the piston recipe to require a Soulforged Steel ingot instead of an iron one, and to *require* wood panels along the top instead of wood blocks (not just the high effeciency version anymore). This was done to better integrate it into BTW's tech tree and to better explain how it functions in-game.

-Changed creepers so that they will not drop records if deoystered. They're just too depressed to appreciate good music anymore.

-Changed trip wires to no longer be able to detect items to prevent exploits involving this behavior.

-Fixed crash when placing a Crucible (and potentially other blocks with associated tile entities) in a location recently occupied by dried cement.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.891)

Post by FlowerChild »

Please note, mediafire is currently having some problems having just gone through some maintenance. Please be patient if you can't access the download immediately.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed creepers so that they will not drop records if deoystered. They're just too depressed to appreciate good music anymore.
*tinfoil engaged*
This seems just a bit too random... It's GOT to mean something :)
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

Woah that is a huge amount of changes for just a .001 version update! I'm a bit scared of what 4.9 will hold. I have not even tried the Enchanting or Archery changes, but just from reading them they look great. That piston change has altered the order of what I want to automate now. Automated SFS sounds like it should be one of my first goals, then all the automation involving large amounts of pistons comes after. This looks like a really nice release man. Thanks!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

BinoAl wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed creepers so that they will not drop records if deoystered. They're just too depressed to appreciate good music anymore.
*tinfoil engaged*
This seems just a bit too random... It's GOT to mean something :)
I think the point is really just to prevent an exploit of getting records too easily...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I think the point is really just to prevent an exploit of getting records too easily...
What? You don't buy the back story narrative of them being too depressed? :)
TheChinchilla

Post by TheChinchilla »

Thanks for another great update! I finally have a strong reason to begin construction on the Infernal Enchanter library that I have been putting off for several months!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:What? You don't buy the back story narrative of them being too depressed? :)
Sure, I believe that :) I just don't think there are any more conspiracy theories behind it
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

HARDCORE!!!

FUCK YEAAAA!!!
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

It seems your changes to make minecraft a game are approaching complete realization. I think the only thing I'll notice at first is the fragile workstations, as I'm still emerging from the early game, but the rest looks fantastic too.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the piston recipe to require a Soulforged Steel ingot instead of an iron one
Not sure if I like this or not....gonna play it safe and build my temp "hibachi putter-outer" before updating. Yes I hijack a water stream to put out my starter hibachis until I setup a good spot for it.

Otherwise I cant stop going "OHHH AAHHH ME LIKE".......going to bed now.....im weirding myself out.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

4.89...1?? This huge update doesnt match the awesomeness of a 4.X increase? Well okay :) an update is an update

I'm glad you brought the vanilla enchanter back :) or was it gone in the first place?... idk i never made it that far to find out.. yeah i know.. haha, noob..
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Six

Post by Six »

Wow, really popping those releases out, packed with content. That changelog is massive, and you don't know how many of those changes make me so happy for writing these research bench descriptions. The enchanter and pistons just made no sense for any of their components to point to their recipe, but those changes are perfect.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This is the final stretch guys, and I'm pushing hard to get us there. The laws of space and time are breaking down, so it only makes sense that the version numbers are getting a little strange too ;)
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Woo! This is awesome. I was just starting to feel bothered by my excessive use of both rotted arrows and the vanilla enchanter in the late game. It seemed like I should have upgraded long ago, but there was no need to do that when I could easily enchant Power IV regular bows, Fortune III iron pickaxes, and other absurdly strong equipment. So thank you so much for this update! It was just the kick in the pants I needed to make me excited to begin several big projects that had long been on my to-do list but never felt worth the trouble.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

thank you flowerchild for another awsome release. things are really coming together now. these changes are really makeing players work hard for everything and gives that much more satisfaction in completing projects. this really allows players to continously progress over a very long time, and can now literally take years to really automate everything to the point where theres nothing left to do but asthetic builds.

iv been playing my world for over a year now and have yet to complete half my check list for farms, grinders and automated structures. and that was with a now huge game early advatage as i had started that base befor most of the HC early game changes were implemented. i plan on starting a new base (via nether travle and mc edit spawn point changing) once the mod is finalized so i can have a fresh start with all the newst challenges, and without the grif of losing my old world. it is going to be epic and i know ill be playing this mod for years to come. so again, thank you :)

slighty off topic
Spoiler
Show
as a side note, more and more this mod really reminds of enders game. specifically the game he used to play on his "tablet" that was continously challenging him and changing its tactics, and where he seemed to have no limitations in his interactions with the games enviroment. that aspect of the book always fancinated me and i always yearned for a game like that, that could be played basicaly indefinetly cuz it was always changeing. that was one of the things that drew me to MC, it was the closest to that enders game style unlimited gameplay iv always wanted.

but it was still somewhat limited in incentive or giveing players something to do... BTW gives players that incentive, something to do, and the means to do them. and it also places them far out of the players reach at first, teasing them, incentivising them to master their world. thank you FC for giveing me Enders Game's game....
xou816

Post by xou816 »

All these changes to redstone these days... And the gold changes...
We're gonna suffer so hard!
But you like it, eh? :p

Thanks for another amazing release that definitely not match its version number!
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.891 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
-snip-
Bloody gods, I was shaking out of excitement while reading the change log. This is amazing. And just as I was getting really into CK2, damnit. Well, priorities first, I suppose.

Thanks for the goodness, FC. It might not seem much coming from just one guy, but you've been providing this guy fun for a long, long time. I appreciate it.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

All i have to say is... Bravo Mr. Child. Bravo. :)
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

FlowerChild wrote:This is the final stretch guys
Good on you. I just hope that you can manage to create a "complete" game in your allotted time, and be satisfied completely with it. Then you'll truly be free to pursue your dream (RTH).
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Hey FC this is amazing. Wanna make out?
warmist

Post by warmist »

FlowerChild wrote:This is the final stretch guys, and I'm pushing hard to get us there. The laws of space and time are breaking down, so it only makes sense that the version numbers are getting a little strange too ;)
Waiting for V4.89(1) (in period) ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote:Hey FC this is amazing. Wanna make out?
That would imply there is a time when I don't want to make out.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

This... This is what I've trained for. This epic release will fill my insides with glorious hardness.

Thanks FlowerChild!
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

I just wanted to say that from my last playthrough of your mod, things were very different. With all the new additions I really feel like I'm playing something new and challenging and it just feels so fulfilling to climb the tech levels and figure out ways to automate things. I just really like this mod and I hope that in time I will be able to play it to it's fullest.