Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep7!]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Thalarctia

Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep7!]

Post by Thalarctia »

As some of you know, I'm working on a tutorial series for Better Than Wolves on YouTube. The series has been split into two seperate playlists, with the first focusing on changes from vanilla, and the other portraying an actual ingame experience in the shape of a Let's Play.

You can watch the most recent episode here (although I recommend clicking the YouTube button for 720p goodness):

Road to Soulforged Steel playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jmB5iNjx-M

Changes From Vanilla playlist here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all
Last edited by Thalarctia on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Six

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial]

Post by Six »

Awesome work so far, looking forward to the coming episodes. Few things I thought I'd note:

Don't forget to mention that beacons can also have less obvious.. sometimes detrimental effects.

Bonemeal will still spawn flowers and tall grass on grass blocks.

Also HC melons doesn't seem to be on your list. You may want to mention in passing how it, along with things like the baby animal jumping and animals eating off the floor, is a change with thought for adding interesting automation to the game.

In mobs, don't forget the delicious HC endermen - their block grabbing has been modified to make them far less of 'random griefers' and they get agro'd in groups similar to pigmen, making them much more dangerous.

The rare mob drops are a bit different from what you've got there too, in that the range of stuff has been severely limited (zombies only get iron tools and armor, skeletons enchanted bows) but if you see a mob with a special item, it is 100% that they will drop it. This also extends to pigmen with reduced gold nugget drop, but increased gold sword drops.
ion

Post by ion »

actually mobs still drop armor but the percentage is very low.
OT:
filtering system and how it works, maybe with a trap.
bellows and how they work some filtering system here also, not spoilers
portal linking this is the hardest part in BTW to do with removal of coordinates, i guess it needs more talk on IRC about it
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 2]

Post by Thalarctia »

I expect to be filming "part 3 - animals" within the next 2 days, so if nobody can see anything I might have forgotten on the feature list in the opening post, those will be the bullet points that I will be featuring.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:actually mobs still drop armor but the percentage is very low.
Not *entirely* true. I've changed it to more of a WYSIG (what you see is what you get) model.

Mobs spawn with armor far less frequently, but when they do spawn with armor it is almost automatic that they will actually drop it on death, unlike vanilla where they only drop it a small fraction of the time.

I'd have to check the numbers to be sure as I tweaked them several times, but I believe the end result is that mobs drop armor only slightly less frequently than in vanilla.
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Thalarctia wrote:I expect to be filming "part 3 - animals" within the next 2 days, so if nobody can see anything I might have forgotten on the feature list in the opening post, those will be the bullet points that I will be featuring.
I'm not exactly sure but didn't FC do something with squids that made them not get stuck in your mob traps water flows? I haven't been on the forums lately but i think FC did something. Anyone confirm?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

XboxAddict77 wrote:
Thalarctia wrote:I expect to be filming "part 3 - animals" within the next 2 days, so if nobody can see anything I might have forgotten on the feature list in the opening post, those will be the bullet points that I will be featuring.
I'm not exactly sure but didn't FC do something with squids that made them not get stuck in your mob traps water flows? I haven't been on the forums lately but i think FC did something. Anyone confirm?
You're right, I had actually thought about that, but forgot when I was updating the list. I'll add it now, thanks!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Breeding harnesses and the use of fishing poles to move harnessed animals, maybe
Better is the enemy of Good
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

DaveYanakov wrote:Breeding harnesses and the use of fishing poles to move harnessed animals, maybe
That's moving from the realm of "changes to vanilla" and onto actual mod features - Expect it to come in a later episode.
XboxAddict77

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 3]

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Since your Op says your next episode is mobs i came up with 2 more ideas for the episode.
1. FC removed most of the drops from Witches to keep things like redstone and glowstone valuable.
2. Might be a little early but what about HC silverfish?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Since your Op says your next episode is mobs i came up with 2 more ideas for the episode.
1. FC removed most of the drops from Witches to keep things like redstone and glowstone valuable.
2. Might be a little early but what about HC silverfish?
Yeah, need to add the witch thing.

As far as I know, hardcore silverfish should only apply while in The End dimension?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thalarctia wrote: Yeah, need to add the witch thing.

As far as I know, hardcore silverfish should only apply while in The End dimension?
I've got a few more changes coming to witches, so you might want to hold off on that one.

Correct on the 2nd point, and again, more changes coming to their behavior.
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 4]

Post by Thalarctia »

Part 4 was just released, detailing changes to hostile mobs. Please note that this episode does spoiler a couple of the latest changes to the mod, so it almost doubles as an update vid :)
ion

Post by ion »

there are still some changes needed for villagers so you may just wait a bit until FC finishes those before making the 5th episode. or you can move them to a 6th episode
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Just wanted to give you guys a brief update on what has been happening with this series, and what is to happen in the coming future.

As you all know, the series has not been updated in a while. There are a number of reasons behind this, including (but not limited to):
  • FC adding sweeping changes to the game, touching upon almost all features. This not only makes it quite a handful to cover, it also makes it nearly impossible for me to make a series that will still be relevant a month from now.

FC actually warning me about doing much more in terms of changes from vanilla, because of the above :)

Me being slightly burned out on Minecraft in general - Keeping my LP series going more or less satisfies my lust for Minecraft at the moment, much more than that and I might actually burn out.

My real life starting to demand a bit more attention - This is only a good thing, and feeling obliged to do even more stuff like this (the series takes a lot longer to do than you might imagine) doesn't do me any good.
I really do appreciate the support I have recieved so far, and I do want to do more of the series. But if I am to both do it properly (so it remains relevant and useful), and do a good job of making it interesting, then my heart needs to be in it. And while I love BTW, I'm trying to prevent a burnout here, so thats why I decided to shelf this for a bit.

I did actually try to record some stuff about HCH the other day, but I ended up running into what I believe to be a bug, but havent had time to confirm. Was trying to demonstrate how fat only burns after the normal food blops are gone, so I ate cake until I became plump and went on the handcranks. However, after 5 mins of cranking 4 handcranks, my food bar had not moved an inch, and it wasnt shaking. So that kinda ruined my recording...
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 5!]

Post by Thalarctia »

It finally happened! I updated the series with a new video, showing off the wonderful world of hardcore hunger. Please note that there is still a lot of ground for me to cover with these last releases (covered 2 out of 10 pages of notes with this video), so there is still plenty of stuff to come.

Also, yay for me finally having a new mic! Hope you can hear the difference.
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 9!]

Post by Thalarctia »

Okay, episode 9 has been released, and with it the last of the "big, game changing" changes. The rest of the stuff is in my opinion smaller changes, like the burntimes on wood, torch recipe, that sort of thing, as well as the old stuff like stackable potions.
You can catch episode 9 here:
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Part 10!]

Post by Thalarctia »

The opening post has been updated with episode 10 of my guide! I've tried to tie up the major loose ends that I still had in my notes, so unless I've been absolutely blind, these 10 episodes should cover the basics of what players might stumble upon and think are bugs, while leaving most of the mod features in unexplored terrain.

Future episodes of this series will be focusing more on the actual mod additions, as well as tips on how to survive and flourish in the horrifying world of Better Than Wolves.
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep3

Post by Thalarctia »

Just released Road to SFS episode 3, and updated the opening post to include links to both "series" in my guide. Enjoy!
jwideman

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep3

Post by jwideman »

Your guide has been incredibly helpful. I realize now why I have been so frustrated with the mod and what I have to do to change that. Thanks!
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep4

Post by Thalarctia »

Just released part 4 of my Road to SFS series, hope you all enjoy!
Thalarctia

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep7

Post by Thalarctia »

Just updated the OP with the latest episode in my educational Lets Play!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Jerry's Guide to BTW [YouTube Tutorial] [Road to SFS Ep7

Post by FlowerChild »

Closing this down, temp banning OP due to a discussion we've had over youtube about his attitude towards spoilers in his tutorial vids, and the attitude with which he responded to that.

I have no desire to promote this series any further or allow the forums to be used to do the same.