New Release (BTW V4.56)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release (BTW V4.56)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.56 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download:

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Changed squid so that they won't stop moving when the player is far away.

-Fixed problem where silverfish could rampage out of control and level entire buildings. My apologies for this one guys. I sincerely hope they didn't cause too much damage to anyone's world, and this bug fix is the reason for this emergency release.
Yhetti

Re: New Release (BTW V4.56)

Post by Yhetti »

Awesome, I was too busy with my whole blight thing to get the 5.55 version. So I missed out on having silverfish destroy my world. Thanks though :D
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Your attention to detail and speedy bugfix updates are professionalism at its finest.

And you do this for free.

Thanks a bunch, man.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

My pleasure man. That was the absolute worst kind of bug and demonstrates the hazards of working on "viral" features. I managed to get through Bloodwood, Groth, and <censored> without having anything like this happen, as I knew it would suck major ass if I messed something up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nobody lost anything significant with this. To be clear, the fix I made above will stop any such destruction in its tracks, even if it had already begun.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well I hadn't run into anything of the sort but I suppose I better download this fix anyway just in case since I have no idea what this bug is talking about. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Well I hadn't run into anything of the sort but I suppose I better download this fix anyway just in case since I have no idea what this bug is talking about. :)
The problem was this: if you had blocks containing silverfish in loaded chunks in your worlds, those blocks would break and spawn additional silverfish that would then proceed to infest nearby blocks, then awhile later, hatch into more silverfish.

As such, they could devour any structure or cave made out of stone (cobble, smooth, or brick).

So yes, downloading this version is *extremely* wise, as you may not have even been aware you had silverfish blocks loaded, and they may have been devouring some part of the world without your knowledge.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I'd ask what had happened but I'll probably be able to work it out for myself once I find me some silverfish. Sounds scary, though :P good to see Pest Control is on the case ;)

I'd like to thank you for your work on the mod, which has eaten up my time so this last year-and-a-bit. You forever find new and ingenious ways to increase our Fun xD

*Ninja'd by our Eldritch Lord himself!
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

They should be called Langoliers instead of Silverfish XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

This version feels great! Hardcore movement really added a great kinetic quality to the game that I didn't even know was missing before. But now that it's in, I can't believe the difference it makes! Fucking brilliant!
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Regarding <Censored>... Had seen <censored> but couldn't figure it out until I tried to <Censored>

FUCK!!!! That's truly insidious!

You monster! (in the nicest possible way) The more I think about it, the more your genius with <Censored> is apparent... Very very clever! You tell us we can't have this but then seem to offer it to us albeit at a one off massive cost. We take it gleefully, thoughtlessly.... Then it seems <censored>....

:D

Oh and thanks for the super speedy fix with the silverfish!

EDIT: It appears from the other thread, I was massively ninja'd. I would advise anyone not to read it but discover it for themselves, it is a work of genius and reading that thread is like reading the last page of a great book.
Last edited by Shengji on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Roablin

Post by Roablin »

Thanks for the release! Hardcore movement really is a stroke of genius. Even apart from your mod's fantastic main features, I'm constantly amazed by how you improve vanilla so much with simple changes that no one else thought of.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It occurs to me that the bug I fixed is probably what I should keep in my back pocket in case BTW is ever compatible with Technic again, and I detect its install ;)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:It occurs to me that the bug I fixed is probably what I should keep in my back pocket in case BTW is ever compatible with Technic again, and I detect its install ;)
No THAT would be hilarious! Thanks for the quick bug fix, though. As always, you never let things like that get through. Keep up the great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I would agree but there is the potential for beneficial exploit with something that powerful. Silverfish don't eat ores, after all.

...yet
Better is the enemy of Good
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Hmm, I seem to have a bug problem...
Spoiler
Show
Thanks for the fix. I the bright side, I did find lots of Ores, and I was thinking about clearing, and remodeling.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Uhhh... What are those blocks?
nmarshall23 wrote:Hmm, I seem to have a bug problem...
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Six

Post by Six »

nmarshall23 wrote:Hmm, I seem to have a bug problem...
Spoiler
Show
Thanks for the fix. I the bright side, I did find lots of Ores, and I was thinking about clearing, and remodeling.
It's amazing how many bugs can be produced by one bug.
magicjani

Post by magicjani »

Well, now I actually got a nice reason to start over since my base got om nom nommed.
I went mining for about 4 MC days not too far from the base, so I guess the silverfish could still spawn and do their thing. :)
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote:It occurs to me that the bug I fixed is probably what I should keep in my back pocket in case BTW is ever compatible with Technic again, and I detect its install ;)
I can see it now...

"-Added surprise for tekkit users :)"

*Loads up tekkit and BTW to see the whole map getting destroyed by silverfish*

They will sing the song that ends the world, leaving nothing but placenta.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

If your world is pretty badly infested, it could be an option to hitup McEdit and select the affected area, replace all the silverfish infected blocks with regular stone. Also really excited to play with that new HcMovement FC, my speed potions shall no longer clog my inventory!! :D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

I must say I was afraid to log into my world and have a repaving project ahead of me (still on vanilla village paths), semi delighted to see gravel was included on the speed boost list. I say semi because I was also looking forward to a benefit to my future road upgrade.

Can't wait to see how this plays out in the caves and the sand dunes outside of my town are going to be hell!

oh god.. this is going to make the edges of my skyblock treacherous.. May be time for fences..

Thanks for another great update and a quick bug-fix as well; it's great to see you inspired again!
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Unfortunately I recently started a fully automated compact SFS factory on top of an enormous sand dune... Time to build a road... And an elevator...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Hey FC, I know you're beating yourself up about letting the bug slide through, but you fixed it and damn fast too. My main base is in an extensive extreme hills biome and had you not fixed this quickly I could have easily lost a good portion of my base. But you did fix it quickly before I even had a chance to get .55. Although some damage has occurred to a few players worlds, much much more has been avoided man. You responded to this much faster than any other modder I've seen! So thanks for that and don't give yourself too hard of a time, you did what was needed and avoided disaster. Keep on pushing forward and I'm looking forward to what's next! As well as playing with all the new stuff!

Edit: I finally got some time to play with hc movement and it definitely feels natural. I love it and it has spawned a whole different way of thinking and playing than before. Other than obvious roadways to frequently used parts of my world, I find myself considering how to use paths to my advantage in mob combat. Its also changed exploration for me and I find myself using boats more often. Its a blast! Unrelated, I'm getting closer to beacons :-)