New Release! (BTW V4.54)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.54)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.54 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Changed the looting beacon effect to apply to *all* deaths within the area of influence, not just ones caused by players. This means that it will act as a bonus to the output of mob traps and automated animal farms, which makes the related beacon much more desirable overall.

-Changed (loosened) the spawn restrictions for mobs within nether strongholds, which increases the number of wither skeletons, blazes, and magma cubes which will spawn within them significantly. They can now spawn anywhere within the volume of a nether stronghold, not just around "cross roads", which should be much more intuitive when creating mob traps, and also makes exploring them much more interesting. This change is the primary reason for this small release, as I know a lot of folks are currently working on their wither skeleton farms to build the various beacons in the mod, and with this change their spawn conditions are much more evident.

-Fixed problem with the True Sight beacon effect only applying if you were wearing a helmet.

-Fixed problem with "ghost items" being created when shift-clicking to the Infernal Enchanter.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Padfoote

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.54)

Post by Padfoote »

The looting beacon change will be quite awesome to try out; time to go try Wither hunting...

Thanks again for all your hard work FC!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Excited! I've been working on my over world mob farm, until this change was made. To the nether I go! Thanks for the update FC, beacons have given me motivation to make my in game time more productive than it has been in a long while.
Chibiterase

Post by Chibiterase »

Great! Looks like it was a good choice to build that mobtrap in the middle of the base :D thanks FC! :D

..now to gather emeralds from those priests..
Have you thought about what you've done recently? Where you've been and from? Who you met? Take time to think about your life once a while.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Yes sir, looting beacon here I come!

Guess I need to build a village then, eh?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DNoved1 wrote:Guess I need to build a village then, eh?
Yeah, and unfortunately the more I interact with villagers to work on my emerald beacons (one for my main base, one for my wither skeleton farm), the more how much they suck is bothering me.

I'm taking a close look at them right now to see if I can come up with a compromise with regards to the rather extensive plans I previously had for them and then triaged. They're just horrible at present.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed (loosened) the spawn restrictions for mobs within nether strongholds, which increases the number of wither skeletons, blazes, and magma cubes which will spawn within them significantly. They can now spawn anywhere within the volume of a nether stronghold, not just around "cross roads", which should be much more intuitive when creating mob traps, and also makes exploring them much more interesting. This change is the primary reason for this small release, as I know a lot of folks are currently working on their wither skeleton farms to build the various beacons in the mod, and with this change their spawn conditions are much more evident.
don't magma cubes arealdy spawn anywhere in the nether?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RalphKastro wrote:don't magma cubes arealdy spawn anywhere in the nether?
Yes, but the odds of them spawning in a nether stronghold is significantly higher. That's a vanilla thing, but it just wasn't particularly noticeable given the area the strongholds were considered to cover was so small.
ion

Post by ion »

just got my first 2 villagers from my mob trap. and now this. those buggers need to start breeding right now, for more emeralds.thanks FC!
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

FlowerChild wrote:Changed (loosened) the spawn restrictions for mobs within nether strongholds, which increases the number of wither skeletons, blazes, and magma cubes which will spawn within them significantly. They can now spawn anywhere within the volume of a nether stronghold, not just around "cross roads", which should be much more intuitive when creating mob traps, and also makes exploring them much more interesting. This change is the primary reason for this small release, as I know a lot of folks are currently working on their wither skeleton farms to build the various beacons in the mod, and with this change their spawn conditions are much more evident.
Eeeep!!! My nice safe Nether fortress just became very dangerous in the extreme! These last few updates are providing hundreds of hours of gameplay and now I've got another weeks worth :D
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shengji wrote:Eeeep!!! My nice safe Nether fortress just became very dangerous in the extreme! These last few updates are providing hundreds of hours of gameplay and now I've got another weeks worth :D
Woot! That's what I like to hear man :)

Long-term content is what I'm all about at the moment.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

So looting is going to stick with the emerald beacon then? I know you had mentioned before the possibility of changing the material...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:So looting is going to stick with the emerald beacon then? I know you had mentioned before the possibility of changing the material...
Yeah, it's going to stick with emerald. The means of acquiring emeralds is more what I'm looking at now ;)

I'm really torn on this villager thing. On one hand, it's hard for me to call BTW "complete" with such a glaring piece of junk in the game. On the other hand, I'm pretty sick of fixing Mojang's mistakes.

Am mulling it over.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Coolio. Just wondering if my efforts at trading would continue to be worthwhile.

I think it's time to get started on my mob trap now. :)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Fuckin' Sweet.

Have I ever told you how much I love you FC?
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Ok, now I need more emeralds than I've ever seen. That looting beacon is now fully in line with BTW design philosophy and I love it! Thanks for the adjustment to the spawning in Nether Fortresses as well! Thanks as always for your hard work!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:Fuckin' Sweet.

Have I ever told you how much I love you FC?
It's always nice to hear :)
johnt

Post by johnt »

Yeah, it's going to stick with emerald. The means of acquiring emeralds is more what I'm looking at now ;)
Villager 'farms' incoming.

And by farms, I mean death camps.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote: Villager 'farms' incoming.

And by farms, I mean death camps.
Actually...no. Villager farms are what I'm thinking of avoiding entirely.

The trading mechanic is potentially interesting. Villager farms are just an exploity mess due to the whacked breeding mechanics.

Anyways, as always...you'll see ;)
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

Villager rework (even a small one) excites me every bit as much as the beacon changes have! Crossing my fingers that my apartment block and office building become viable again, one way or another, too >.<

Loving the long term theme on recent features, they are really reinvigorating my MC motivation so thank you for the ongoing hard work, it is greatly appreciated.
sin6il

Post by sin6il »

I just tried this new release, and it makes the nether fortresses a lot more fun! The increased amount of blazes, wither skeletons, and magma cubes really make the fortresses harder and more fun to explore. Before, I would be running through a virtually empty fortress, but now it is filled with various enemies everywhere! I have almost died a few times already from the mobs. I also got the 3 skulls needed for my first Wither. So hopefully I will be getting my first beacon soon. Thanks for the great update!
userzero

Post by userzero »

Awesome, thanks so much for this. Cant wait to start building those beacons.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I'm pretty sure that I'll like the wither skellie and magma cube spawning alterations, but I can't help to think that the blazes shouldn't be included with them. Having to build a separate chamber and/or farm for them around there spawners gave a new challenge to overcome. Having a "one stop shop" mobtrab for nether fortress mobs doesn't quite sit right, but then again I haven't played with it yet.

Now to re-purpose a fortress...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote:I'm pretty sure that I'll like the wither skellie and magma cube spawning alterations, but I can't help to think that the blazes shouldn't be included with them. Having to build a separate chamber and/or farm for them around there spawners gave a new challenge to overcome. Having a "one stop shop" mobtrab for nether fortress mobs doesn't quite sit right, but then again I haven't played with it yet.

Now to re-purpose a fortress...
I'd agree except the previous method for farming blazes involved spawners...which suck as a mob trap mechanic due to the 16 block range the player must remain within.
xCrazyboy

Post by xCrazyboy »

-Changed (loosened) the spawn restrictions for mobs within nether strongholds, which increases the number of wither skeletons, blazes, and magma cubes which will spawn within them significantly. They can now spawn anywhere within the volume of a nether stronghold, not just around "cross roads", which should be much more intuitive when creating mob traps, and also makes exploring them much more interesting. This change is the primary reason for this small release, as I know a lot of folks are currently working on their wither skeleton farms to build the various beacons in the mod, and with this change their spawn conditions are much more evident.
Spoiler
Show
Such an amazing change :'D

There was one more wither skeleton..but he had to die.

Thank you Flowerchild <3 A small update, is an amazing update.