New Release! (BTW V4.53)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.53)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.53 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the last (for now anyways) of the new beacon types: obsidian.

-Changed the way Hardcore Chests works to completely rework the behavior of ender chests in the mod, and removed the option for disabling it from the config file. Don't worry...all your previously stored items are safe (whether you had Hardcore Chests enabled or not), but how to access them is left for you to discover ;)

-Changed the means of obtaining Nether Groth Spores without mycelium slightly, but I don't think anyone has figured out how to do it yet anyways :)

-Changed the way the Block Dispenser "silk touch harvests" blocks it's swallowing to simplify the related code and so that it universally applies to any new blocks that may be added to the game without further changes. Please let me know if any problems arise as a result.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Detritus

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.93)

Post by Detritus »

Umm. Is the 4.93 name deliberate to throw us off? Or was that a simple typo? I notice that you refer to it as 4.53 in the body of the text, and so I was curious :/
Last edited by Detritus on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Umm. Is the 4.93 name deliberate to throw us off? Or was that a simple typo? I notice that you refer to it as 4.53 in the body of the text, and so I was curious :/
Typo. Fixed. Thanks for stopping by and letting us know your only thoughts on this new release...
darahalian

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.53)

Post by darahalian »

Oh man, this sounds really exciting. I can only assume that it is not a coincidence that obsidian beacons are added at the same time enderchests are reworked. I can't wait to play around with this!

Thanks for all the awesome, FC!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Must get spores...FOR SCIENCE!

Thanks for the update FC :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Detritus wrote:Umm. Is the 4.93 name deliberate to throw us off? Or was that a simple typo? I notice that you refer to it as 4.53 in the body of the text, and so I was curious :/
Typo. Fixed. Thanks for stopping by and letting us know your only thoughts on this new release...
It was the first thing I saw, because in the past you've jokingly talked about releasing versions that don't fit in with the number scheme, and so I wondered if you had in fact done such a thing. If you hadn't, and it was just a typo, well, I thought you ought to know.

Sorry :/

Anyway, super excited that the next beacon type is released, now I really don't know which one to build first :)

EDIT: Clarity
Last edited by Detritus on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a note here: I do believe the obsidian beacon is my favorite of the bunch. It's not as powerful as some of them (a given seeing as how easy it is to build), and I had planned this all out awhile ago, but once I got it working, it actually surprised me with how cool it was to play around with.

Anyways, it's always nice when you wind up surprising yourself like that :)
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Oo, obsidian! Didn't expect that. That'll be fun to play with. I just figured out what SFS does, and here's something new to play with.

With the frenetic pace of your updates the test server for BWR is seeing a lot of action. :) I might have to put some nice little creature comforts in there instead of all the regression tests...because I'm going to be camped out there for a while.

Good work!
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

People with worlds that have been played on for a long time will pick up the new ender chest mechanics quick enough.
This is a really slick idea by you. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:People with worlds that have been played on for a long time will pick up the new ender chest mechanics quick enough.
This is a really slick idea by you. :D
Thanks man :)

Feel free to take your discoveries over to the spoiler thread, as I'm always interested in how people progress through the discovery process. In this case, I have my doubts that you've figured it all out this quickly, old world or no ;)
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

HOLY CRAP!!! like I just downloaded 4.52 like yesterday! now I gotta start stockpiling obsidian too! can't wait to see what it does :)...

You are the best! I used to mod minecraft myself until I found your mod cause it did exactly what I was wanting to do and more! and I know how hard modding can be so to see you consistently pushing out updates is Godlike!
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Well, I had an obsidian pyramid already built and a reason to want to test my new fully automated wither suffocation room... :D

Can't figure it out yet, but I have three activated on the overworld and two in the nether...

Thanks FC, glad you're having fun with the new stuff you're making and with us trying to figure it all out!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Well, was going to comment on the last release but this one will work too. :)

Really loving the new beacons. Even incomplete and 1 layer versions make for good tools to slap down when working on a large, single-building project. Also like some of the

Much more useful than the old way things worked. (Stupid Haste II waste of my time...)

Anyways, I like the sound of Obsidian beacons and look forwards to working out what it is they do. As well as how to get my stuff back.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
wirer

Post by wirer »

FlowerChild, you are the the man i love and hate the most on the minecraft modding community. Moving mass building materials was hard enough already. I can't wait to find out how obsidian beacons and new enderchests work. I need to. Badly.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I'd intended to tackle a wither yesterday but there's so much to do in a fairly new world! I'm looking forward to getting beacons. I'm finding myself taking into consideration the resource expense of how I usually automate things. Its making me design cheaper systems just to save a few resources for beacons, especially when it comes to how many pumps I use.
Thanks for the new release! Looks fun!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the last (for now anyways) of the new beacon types: obsidian.
Speculation abounded, but I hadn't really considered this material. Still difficult, but I look forward to finding out what I can do with this beacon a bit sooner than SFS. I really don't have many ideas left, but I'm sure it will be an interesting mechanic.
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the way Hardcore Chests works to completely rework the behavior of ender chests in the mod, and removed the option for disabling it from the config file. Don't worry...all your previously stored items are safe (whether you had Hardcore Chests enabled or not), but how to access them is left for you to discover ;)
Interesting. I haven't used enderchests much, but this should be fun to experiment with.
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the means of obtaining Nether Groth Spores without mycelium slightly, but I don't think anyone has figured out how to do it yet anyways :)
No, but I search in earnest. I'm sure it will be much appreciated when I finally figure it out :)
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the way the Block Dispenser "silk touch harvests" blocks it's swallowing to simplify the related code and so that it universally applies to any new blocks that may be added to the game without further changes. Please let me know if any problems arise as a result.
Stabilization relating to later releases of vMC is always good, more time for RTH I guess.
FlowerChild wrote: Enjoy! :)
I'm sure I will very much, for a long time. There's so much to do, I don't know if I'll even do everything I want to do before RTH comes out (which is an amazing thing)! I'm off to kill more Withers!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Locke

Post by Locke »

I'm not sure how you find the time to do all these updates, looking forward to figuring all this out!
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
xou816

Post by xou816 »

As always... thank you for your dedication and for your work!
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Man FC you really have me stumped on that alternate way of getting nether growth spores... and i can almost hear your evil laugh as we try and figure it out... I have tried almost everything and still have not figured it out... but I will not give up! I will conquer this new way... lol... and in the end i bet i will discover it by accident... lol like putting hellfire dust into my crucible... lol
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Xaedblade wrote:Man FC you really have me stumped on that alternate way of getting nether growth spores... and i can almost hear your evil laugh as we try and figure it out... I have tried almost everything and still have not figured it out... but I will not give up! I will conquer this new way... lol... and in the end i bet i will discover it by accident... lol like putting hellfire dust into my crucible... lol
I just hope this new discovery to be made is not as "explosive"...^^
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

xou816 wrote:
Xaedblade wrote:Man FC you really have me stumped on that alternate way of getting nether growth spores... and i can almost hear your evil laugh as we try and figure it out... I have tried almost everything and still have not figured it out... but I will not give up! I will conquer this new way... lol... and in the end i bet i will discover it by accident... lol like putting hellfire dust into my crucible... lol
I just hope this new discovery to be made is not as "explosive"...^^
well the last try ended in my crucible blowing up... lol