New Release! (BTW V4.40)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.40)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.40 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a new block type: the Bench, for all block types with sub-blocks. It is crafted with 3 Siding on top of a Moulding (same as a Table, with a shorter "leg").

-Added fences for all block types with sub-blocks. These may be crafted either with 3 Moulding of the type in a horizontal row, or the vanilla recipe of 6 full blocks in two horizontal rows for stone-based blocks (i.e. non-wood).

-Added brick Siding, Moulding, Corners, Pedestals, Columns, and Tables.

-Added sandstone Siding, Moulding, Corners, Pedestals, Columns, and Tables.

-Added stone brick Pedestals, Columns, and Tables.

-Added wood Pedestals, Columns, and Tables, for all wood colors.

-Added smooth stone Tables.

-Added Boiled Potatoes as a new item.

-Added a small amount of damage to falling Hardcore Melons, along with custom death messages for them.

-Added sound to falling Hardcore Melons when they don't explode.

-Added general purpose internal hooks for when an arrow initially impacts with a block, and when it is in a state of collision with a block, that may be useful for add-on authors.

-Added an internal hook for when blocks finish falling, that may be useful to add-on authors.

-Added high efficiency recipe for nether-brick fences (3 Moulding).

-Changed the dimensions and texture of wood Table Legs so that they match the top of fences. This was done because it opens up many aesthetic possibilities like building shelving, trestle bridges, and cool looking stairways out of a combination of Tables, Benches & fences.

-Changed the way Hand Cranks work so that the "use" animation (the extended arm) is only played when the crank is actually moved so that its usage is more intuitive, and also changed it so that it can not be operated if your hunger level is below a certain point.

-Changed ALL Pedestal recipes to consist of six blocks of the type, topped by a single Siding. This is for consistency because Pedestals can now be made out of materials that can be obtained pre-Anvil (namely wood).

-Changed ALL Column recipes to consist of three Moulding of the type in a vertical line, for the same reasons as above.

-Changed chickens so that they can be fed by hand again, as while it made sense that they couldn't, it was causing too much confusion due to lack of consistency with the other animal types.

-Changed the hardness on nether brick Siding, Moulding, Corners, Pedestals, Columns, and Tables to match that of nether brick blocks.

-Changed the way Hardcore Melons work so that melons require arrows to have a certain minimum velocity to cause them to explode when hit.

-Changed Hardcore Melons so that they won't explode when falling into water.

-Changed (reduced) the number of mobs that spawn wearing armor to further balance the iron output of mob-traps.

-Changed the way a bunch of sub-blocks work internally to facilitate the inclusion of new aesthetic block types. Because of this, old versions of these blocks already placed in your world may not auto-connect properly, and will no longer function in recipes. My apologies for this, but having to support recipes for both the old and new versions was making the mod's recipe code get completely out of control, and was likely also hell for people using mods that display recipes, as both the old and new versions would be listed. To help with this, I've added "old" to the name of each of the blocks that may be problematic (e.g. "Old Corner"), so that they can be easily identified, and I've included conversion recipes for all these old blocks, so you can just drop them into the crafting grid and they will be converted into the new. In the case of old blocks in the world no longer auto-connecting properly, just harvest the old blocks, replace them, and any problems should be resolved.

-Changed smooth stone Pedestals, Columns, Siding, and Corners so that axes aren't efficient on newly placed ones.

-Changed all wood based sub-blocks to have appropriate burn times in the furnace.

-Changed the collision volume around Tables (of all types) and of vanilla fences so that it precisely reflects their shape. This means that you can "click around" their various parts to the blocks behind them, and that things like arrows will pass through the empty space surrounding them.

-Fixed problem with Lightning Rods not being able to rest on top of others.

-Fixed problem with pumpkins dropping way too many seeds when they explode.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ulfengaard

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.40)

Post by Ulfengaard »

Thank youuuuuuuu!!!!! :)
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Hot damn.
I think I'm gunna need to start playing again.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

Wow. My jaw just dropped at the sight of this changelog. This is going to be awesome!

Thanks FC for another amazing release. Aesthetic blocks are always a nice addition.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Love the aesthetic update for this one FC. :)

Can I ask how many block ID's it took to do all this?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Wow, lots of awesome goodies here! This kind of thing is great, I have so many new things to try out. As usual, it seems that you have planned for this, and I know that I will not have a lack of things to do over the break for RTH. There are just so many aesthetic possibilities with these new mini-blocks. Thank you for all the things in this release.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

whoa, holy aesthetic changelong, Thank you FC! *wiggles* I just feel like tearing down all my buildings and redesigning them.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Can I ask how many block ID's it took to do all this?
Ummmm...6 I believe.

2 each for brick and sandstone sub-blocks.

Then I unfortunately needed another 2 to update the old oak wood and smooth stone sidings and corners to adapt to the new system, because they were still the old "combine wood and smooth stone into the same block ID format" which just would have made things insanely complicated if I didn't decide to cut my losses and get rid of them.

All the new sub-blocks fit into the old siding and moulding blocks though. So, in terms of add-on mods, or should I ever decide to add new sub-blocks myself (say if Mojang adds in new blocks or whatever), they take 2 blockIDs per material, and maybe ten minutes of work each, to get the full range of sub-blocks.

Like I said in my dev diary, if someone wants to make a sub-block add-on to extend the range, it'll be super easy to do. I don't want to add any more myself, as I don't want to occupy any more blockIDs so I don't wind up screwing over add-ons :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yey! Thanks, FC! Perfect timing too. I just finished and passed all my exams today. So now I can fully enjoy this release :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Giving worlds a final polish before we leave them for home. I love the how the table legs match fences, incredibly helpful!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Big changelog, I like em big.
Thank you for the pretty stuff :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Locke

Post by Locke »

FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with Lightning Rods not being able to rest on top of others.

-Fixed problem with pumpkins dropping way too many seeds when they explode.
Yay the two most annoying bugs fixed!!!
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Delicious delicious eyecandy. Great update :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Fantastic new features Flowerchild! Thanks as always!
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

The list of BTW's hooks is evergrowing. I like it! Kudos for going the extra mile for future add-ons.
And look at all those sub-blocks! I'm not the creative/aesthetic type when I build stuff in Minecraft, but even I'm tempted to play around with all these available.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Nice job on all these additions! I will definitely have some fun trying out all the new possibilities! I especially love the fence+table/bench combos. Can't wait to try them out.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Amazing.

That is all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sweet... I can feel RTH getting closer. Are you still planning on doing the three phases?
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i do belive this is the first time so many blocks have been included in one update befor! pure epicness! only 6 I.D's used and you gave us how many blocks? iv lost count :p another spectacular (and as always speedy) update!

alas, i shed a single tear as i see BTW comeing ever closer to a close, but i keep reminding my self that this is just a new begining for the droves :)

Edit: spelling
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

I guess I can say I'm *hooked* on BTW> :P
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:I guess I can say I'm *hooked* on BTW> :P
Couldn't have said it better myself. Been playing this for the longest of any of my games/mods.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I think I'm going to have to build an entire building just to place a few of each aesthetic block in so that I can remember what my design options are! I already forget about some of the ones we already have!

This is amazing, and i do like that hand cranks no longer work at low hunger. It just makes sense that way.

Thanks for all the changes!
Onarr

Post by Onarr »

So much new possibilities... cant decide what to do first...my head gonna explode! this is SO sweet
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you Flowerchild! So much new blocks to play with!!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks a lot FC !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.