New Release! ( BTW V4.37)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! ( BTW V4.37)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.37 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the Lightning Rod as a new block. It is created with 3 iron ingots in a vertical line. With the addition of vertical Wind Mills, lightning has become a much bigger problem, so this simple block was added as a way to address it. They also makes awesome mounts for skulls ;)

-Added the ability to pickup Vases without breaking them using the silk touch enchantment.

-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.

-Changed the collision volume around the Vase, Planter, and Hopper so that it precisely reflects their shape. This means that you can "click around" their various parts to the blocks behind them, and that things like arrows will pass through the empty space surrounding them.

-Changed the Hopper to always deposit into the top chest in the inventory GUI, when depositing into double chests, as it was a minor annoyance that it didn't do so.

-Changed Hardcore Chests so that ender chests access the same inventory regardless of what dimension they are in. This was done because it was originally intended this way, and it turns out that chests in other dimensions weren't saving their contents when servers were restarted anyways.

-Changed Zombies and Skeletons so that they drop any armor they are wearing or any non-standard equipment they are carrying on death at a greatly increased rate (sometimes the equipment breaks, but most of the time you get it), because chasing after a rare armored mob to only have it drop nothing is hela-lame. Also, this boosts iron output on mob-traps back up after it was reduced in a previous release.

-Changed mobs to spawn with equipment with equal probability on all difficulty levels. This was done so that mob-trap output is not difficulty level dependent, as that just leads to gamey nonsense.

-Changed zombie pigmen so that they only spawn with gold swords rarely, but they almost always drop them on death. The overall drop rate is unaffected by this change (mob trap output will not be affected), it just makes it much more tempting to go after pigmen you see holding swords, and creates a more direct connection between what mobs are holding and what they drop.

-Changed zombie pigmen to restore their gold nugget drop, as with the above change it gives the impression they're slowly trying to forge their own weapons. They do so at a reduced rate to what they used to mind you.

-Changed the way the damage on dropped items is computed to provide a better range of values on items with low maximum damage (like gold swords).

-Fixed vanilla dispenser not being able to fire Dynamite.

-Fixed the Companion Cube not properly showing its appreciation for being consumed by fire.

-Fixed problem with fire rendering on the side of blocks if it had infinite burn ones (like netherrack) below it.

-Fixed problem with not being able to feed wolves Wolf Chops.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Detritus

Re: New Release! ( BTW V4.37)

Post by Detritus »

Nnnnn...
My "F5" button can finally have some peace.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Aeslynn Winterfell

Post by Aeslynn Winterfell »

Yay! More awesomeness!
FlowerChild wrote:
Glace1221 wrote:How does a screw play a role in role-playing on SMP servers when combined with tanned leather armor? I don't see any recipe where a screw can be combined with tanned leather armor.
<face palm>
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the Hopper to always deposit into the top chest in the inventory GUI, when depositing into double chests, as it was a minor annoyance that it didn't do so.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one annoyed by this :).

As always, thanks for the release FC!

*scurries away to update the wiki*
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lightning rods ... if feel like we'll need them again later :)
I'm gonna love the new Vase and Blasting oil combo !
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Thanks for the update FC. :) Lightning rods eh? *wiggles*
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Anyone remember the crack of thunder from the old video involving the machine?

Lighting rods.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I thought you were being rather free with the hints. Ilook forward to playing with these when I get home tomorrow night.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The Lightning Rod really isn't that big a deal. Really easy to code, and it doesn't even take a blockID. However, it's really handy, especially with the vertical wind mills.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to come back to their base to find their Wind Mill had been destroyed by lightning. I'll be scattering them all over my base soon as I get a chance :)
DaveYanakov wrote:I thought you were being rather free with the hints. Ilook forward to playing with these when I get home tomorrow night.
That was only because I was so close to release, and happened to think the test I had running for them was so cool that I wanted other people to see it ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed the Companion Cube not properly showing its appreciation for being consumed by fire.
I knew there was something vital missing from the mod, but I wasn't sure what it was until now.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Shinxy

Post by Shinxy »

Hehehe, awesome job on the lightning rod. Can't wait to fix my VWindMill with it (and to see how it may be 'used' in the future).

Oh, and THANK YOU for fixing the mob-armour thing. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out of the way and risked harm to fight an armed zombie or skellie, only to have them drop squat.
:V
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: I knew there was something vital missing from the mod, but I wasn't sure what it was until now.
Hehe...I know right? A LOT of particle effects and such got lost in the port to 1.3 with the client/server stuff. Particles and sounds have to be properly communicated to the client, as if they only occur on the server, you can't see them.

I've taken care of most of those issues, but there are still a few I come across now and again as I go through the code ;)
Panda

Post by Panda »

I can make a supercharged creeper farm now!!!! for no reason what so ever!!! SQuee!

awesome update man :D
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow already? You're a beast man!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow already? You're a beast man!
Thanks man! As I mentioned previously though, recent events had a negative impact on my creativity, so most of this release is technical in nature. When I can't design...I can still program :)

The Lightning Rod was the last thing I did though, so I'm coming back ;)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:The Lightning Rod was the last thing I did though, so I'm coming back ;)
Its always good when you get into a creative mood. :)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

ooooh, pleasantly surprised about how lightning rods stack :)

My entrance to my mob spawner:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:ooooh, pleasantly surprised about how lightning rods stack :)
Hehe...I rarely put in purely aesthetic features man, but I always do try to give alternative aesthetic uses to functional blocks ;)

P.S. They also look really cool on top of fences.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Glad to hear you're greeting back in the groove. :)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Can't wait! Nice.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Lightning rod's hell yes I can remove some ugly looking cobble roofs and replace them with some nice spruce.

Another great update.
Joshua37w

Post by Joshua37w »

This all looks sweet. Thank you for another timely update!
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Thank you for the chock full of awesome... it feels like the holidays already! -- a sort of black morally ambiguous holiday (wouldn't have it any other way)!

Excellent!
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

As one who builds primarily with wood, the lightning rod should come in handy for me. I'm curious though. I assume it 'attracts' any lightning strikes within a certain area from the rod. Any hint on how big this area is? Also, does it need to be the highest block in the vicinity? (not sure how realistic you made them)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't like discussing numbers, but yes, height matters.