New Release! (BTW 4.36)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.36)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.36 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Updated the mod to version 1.4.5 of Minecraft.

-Added particle effects when Soul Urns shatter.

-Changed how Dirt Slabs render internally to hopefully resolve visual issues with them when used in combination with high-res texture packs, when they have grass growing on them.

-Changed the sound mechanical devices make when they break, to something more appropriate.

-Changed a few more things internally to reduce the number of base class changes the mod requires.

-Fixed problem with Corners not placing properly.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser not firing splash potions.

-Fixed the vanilla dispenser not being able to fire Soul Urns.

-Fixed problem with not being able to use a hoe on grass if it was in front of a Detector Block or in a Lens beam.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Padfoote

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.36)

Post by Padfoote »

Thanks again for giving us another speedy update! It's really quite amazing just how fast you can keep up with all the Minecraft updates these days, as it seems like they never end.
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Fun fact: I inadvertently found that 4.35 was seemed to be compatible with 1.4.5 earlier today. I'm excited to see these new particle effects from soul urns though, you haven't let us down in the particle department yet!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Splee999 wrote:Fun fact: I inadvertently found that 4.35 was seemed to be compatible with 1.4.5 earlier today. I'm excited to see these new particle effects from soul urns though, you haven't let us down in the particle department yet!
It wasn't. There were changes to the code that would have screwed you eventually.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Thank you very much for the update flower, now off to get modloader 1.4.5!
Never say no to Panda.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

So fast! And you manage to add a few slight additions and changes to keep it from being all bugfixes.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FC, thank you for the update! :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Thanks for all your hard work! We appreciate you porting the mod this fast!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Very impressive, thanks for updating so quickly!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys :)
EpicAaron wrote:So fast! And you manage to add a few slight additions and changes to keep it from being all bugfixes.
Well, that's just the stuff I had been working on when the update hit. It left me with a few loose ends to tie up before releasing, but for the most part, that stuff was already done when 1.4.5 came out.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

ermegerd with all the updates, why cant they just get something right enough to let us play the game for a month or so?
anyways, now that im done with my tantrum, thank you fc for keeping up with mojangs derpy updates
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed a few more things internally to reduce the number of base class changes the mod requires.

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Huh, if they don't settle down and stop releasing full updates soon, BTW will soon evolve to exist without programming at all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.36 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

-Changed a few more things internally to reduce the number of base class changes the mod requires.

Yes, noticed that too and think it was in the last update as well.
Makes me wonder if it continues in the future. With Mojang back to it's constant update blurting I thought Flowerchild is trying to get away from the basic code to reduce the workload of new updates.
But I can really just assume. Java coding in general and how Minecraft works internally are really things I don't have a clue about.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

That was fast :)
Let's hope that, if 1.4.6 there is, it'll be in a while !
Thanks bro ;)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

Wow, that was fast! Still laughing about the "particle fix" particle "fix" :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Battosay wrote:That was fast :)
Let's hope that, if 1.4.6 there is, it'll be in a while !
Thanks bro ;)
I suspect it will be a while as all mojang has been tweeting about for the last two days has been mine con.
Thank you for the quick update fc! Hopefully you will now get a few weeks free of mojang shanigans.
esphorem

Post by esphorem »

Wow, you just keep updating this mod over and over...
Now I can finally stop telling mc not to update!
(Still using 1.4.2)
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

Downloading. MC1.4.5 fixed "Open to LAN" bug from 1.4.4 (i play LAN a lot), so now i can update both MC and BTW.

Time to break some mechanical devices to hear the new sound :)

Thanks for the update :)

Edit: It seems MC still has the IP problem in "open to lan".. ??!!
ziyakaz

Post by ziyakaz »

OlbaiD wrote:Edit: It seems MC still has the IP problem in "open to lan".. ??!!
This problem? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/157 ... an-issues/
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

This problem? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/157 ... an-issues/
Yup.

I'm trying to find a way around that problem, because i dont want to downgrade MC and BTW :( :( Already lost a few updates on BTW thanks for those "MC updates" and "MC fixed issues".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, this update cycle has become a serious pain in the ass, and I really hope they leave the game alone for a few weeks so I can get back to the fun part of developing the mod.

With regards to the reduction of base-class modifications I keep mentioning, I've been doing all that to reduce the work involved in doing these updates. It doesn't reduce the total amount of code in the mod (actually...it probably increases it), but what it does is either isolate it to my own files, or isolate it to my own functions within Mojang's files.

This avoids situations where my code is interwoven with theirs, as those are generally the bits that take the most time as I have to review the surrounding code to make sure my bits still fit with the rest of the code's logic whenever a version update occurs. Most of the time, that's easy, as the code hasn't changed much. But when it does, it gets messy, and it can change for a variety of reasons beyond Mojang actually modifying the code. Like one of the primary sources of this happening is MCP renaming variables.

Now, why I suspect this has become a priority for me at this particular time is that in going SMP, I basically have to make all my changes in two places, both for the client and server, which has increased the work in these version updates substantially (like maybe by a factor of 1.5).

So, over the past few updates I've been slowly compartmentalizing my code to ease that process, both in terms of breaking it off from the MC base classes, and in breaking my own code into easily identified client and server portions so I can easily disable the client parts when I port to the server (on that point, I'd like to extend a middle finger to the creators of Java for not including support for conditional compilation...that part would have been a breeze in C++). This is very different from writing modular code in the traditional sense, as it involves a lot of modding specific trickery that I've come up with myself along the way to keep the mod's code separate from the code base which it is effectively part of.

Anyways, the big one I have left to tackle with regards to this process is Entities. I've gone through all my mods to blocks and items now, and isolated them as much as possible, but all the changes I make to entities have become probably the biggest time sink in the update process. I've got a plan of action in mind for how to break off from that, but this kind of refactoring work tends to be rather soul-crushing, so I tend to try to work on it in small chunks over time.

So, that's the story on the base-class changes. Please don't turn this into a general programming discussion, but that's why those kind of points keep appearing in the change logs. I largely put those notes in there for the benefit of add-on authors so that they'll be aware there's been an internal restructuring of the code base that may impact them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, BTW: Can someone try out the Dirt Slabs with grass growing on them with a high-res texture pack?

I took a bit of a shot in the dark with regards to whether the changes I made would fix it, but I suspect it will. If someone can confirm if that was really the case, I'd be much obliged.
Minecraft4455

Post by Minecraft4455 »

Hey i can be back in 1 min :)

it looks good expect for the outline for the side of it is very pixally and dark (im using sphax 128x) but it looks good oh and thanks for the update ^_^ goodnight
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, BTW: Can someone try out the Dirt Slabs with grass growing on them with a high-res texture pack?

I took a bit of a shot in the dark with regards to whether the changes I made would fix it, but I suspect it will. If someone can confirm if that was really the case, I'd be much obliged.

Anyone? Ferris? Anyone? :)
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Anyone? Ferris? Anyone? :)
I'm using a 128x and can confirm that my dirt slabs with grass grown on them work just fine and show the right terrain colour.