New Release! (BTW V4.34)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.34)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.34 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the Chopping Block as a new block type. This block has grooves cut in it which means that it can be placed in front of a Saw while neither destroying the block, nor the Saw itself. It is created with 6 smooth stone in a "U" pattern on the Anvil. Note that trapping a player or mob between a Saw and Chopping block will result in a *big* bonus to damage caused by the Saw, and the same bonus to skull-drops as if they were killed by a Battle Axe.

-Added custom death messages for the Saw, Dead Weight, Groth, and for when the player is killed between a Saw and Chopping Block.

-Added high efficiency recipe for the Saw involving wood Siding instead of planks.

-Added Arcane Scroll drop to blazes as they can now reliably be farmed.

-Added the ability to plant carrots and potatoes with the Block Dispenser.

-Changed (reduced) the cost for using the Infernal Enchanter from base 50, to base 30 in order to better match the values used with the vanilla enchanter.

-Changed skeleton Arcane Scroll drop so that they don't drop from wither skeletons.

-Changed the "limit pigman and magma cube" option to the more general "limit nether mob spawns", and applied it to blazes and wither skeletons as well. These mobs can now only spawn on netherrack, and netherbrick.

-Changed the Mining Charge recipe to use slime balls instead of Glue, as it fits the idea of Glue being a permanent adhesive vs slime being a "tacky" substance better.

-Changed the limited slime spawning code so that they can now also spawn on grass, gravel, and sand (as well as the previous dirt and smooth stone), to better fit them being able to spawn above-ground now.

-Changed skeletons and wither skeletons to be able to spawn in the nether regardless of light level, to match the other nether mobs. Without this they couldn't spawn near fire and lava, which obviously doesn't make much sense in the nether.

-Fixed a very small problem in the Water Wheel rendering code that caused a tiny gap to appear between the struts and blades.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser being able to harvest wheat, potato, and carrot crops before they were fully grown.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ribky

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.34)

Post by Ribky »

Awesome! Thanks man. Let the executions commence!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Minecraft4455

Post by Minecraft4455 »

Awsome! thanks for the skeleton update. Now to commence the deaths of death
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

oh wow! FC another amazing update, thank you so much. So much new stuff I can't keep up with it. *wiggles* =)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Chopping Block as a new block type. This block has grooves cut in it which means that it can be placed in front of a Saw while neither destroying the block, nor the Saw itself. It is created with 6 smooth stone in a "U" pattern on the Anvil. Note that trapping a player or mob between a Saw and Chopping block will result in a *big* bonus to damage caused by the Saw, and the same bonus to skull-drops as if they were killed by a Battle Axe.
Hah, mob head factory, here I come ^.^ Was the damage buff intended primarily for player traps?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

=P

I just finally got home and updated the server and you do this!?!?

jk

Nice job on the release. Sounds like the chopping block will be useful in traps...
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

More crazy!
Interesting concept, the chopping block. I wonder if it works with pistons...
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

What is this?! I haven't even gotten to try 4.33 yet o.o;

Damn it FC you update too fast! (Read as: "Thanks FC for actively updating your mod so much!")
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Wow. Keep up the great work. You just mentioned that a lot of the recent content has been laying foundation for what is to come. And I have to say, I'm looking forward.

Now to go get my self killed with this new block...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Sounds like the chopping block will be useful in traps...
Yeah, specifically waterless traps in the nether.

I was working on my Wither Skeleton farm when I brain farted and created a grinder that pushed mobs into a bunch of saws using a row of sticky pistons capped by stone brick blocks. Needless to say, it broke all my Saws the first time it did so.

This lead to me thinking "man, I wish I had a block with grooves cut into it to fit the Saw blades".

This was rapidly followed by my usual recollection of "Hey wait! I'm a modder!" :)

The damage and head collection bonus just followed naturally after I got it working and remarked that it looked a lot like a guillotine in its function. The head bonus also fits nicely with this being ideal for wither skeleton farms in the nether, where you'll be wanting to collect as many heads as possible.

As cool as it was, I also wasn't entirely comfortable with the bonus to the Battle Axe on head collection, as I was worried it might lead to people manually killing mobs from their traps in order to get the extra head drops. This now provides a fully automated alternative to doing the same thing.

As an added bonus, no blockIDs were harmed in the making of this feature, and it makes for a nice decorative block when you're going for that trendy abattoir look for your builds :)
BinoAl wrote:Was the damage buff intended primarily for player traps?
Yup, that's the idea. It's more complicated to setup obviously, but it'll kill an unarmored player in a single hit while you laugh evilly and shout out "off with their heads"!
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

FlowerChild wrote:... it'll kill an unarmored player in a single hit while you laugh evilly and shout out "off with their heads"!
Music... sweet, sweet music...
johnt

Post by johnt »

As cool as it was, I also wasn't entirely comfortable with the bonus to the Battle Axe on head collection, as I was worried it might lead to people manually killing mobs from their traps in order to get the extra head drops
I think it might be fun to have to wade into a mob trap and get your hands bloody every once in a while to generate certain bonus items. The downside is that people would just do it in really boring and safe way, standing behind a bunch of blocks and hacking away, which is just a tedious grind, rather than a challenge.
Last edited by johnt on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote: I think it might be fun to have to wade into a mob trap and get your hands bloody every once in a while to generate certain bonus items. The downside is that people would just do it in really boring and safe way, standing behind a bunch of blocks and hacking away, which is just a tedious grind, rather than a challenge.
That's the thing man and is once a case of "do it right or don't do it at all". You'll remember that one of the reasons I introduced dragon orbs into the mod was because the whole thing about mob-traps devolving into punching glitching masses of spiders was hela-lame.

I'd much rather give players a cool automated solution than a lame manual one any day.
Luciferous Leo

Post by Luciferous Leo »

johnt wrote:I think it might be fun to have to wade into a mob trap and get your hands bloody every once in a while to generate certain bonus items. The downside is that people would just do it in really boring and safe way, standing behind a bunch of blocks and hacking away, which is just a tedious grind, rather than a challenge.
While I do enjoy the odd face to face smash with mobs in minecraft, I don't think it will ever be truly fun until you get monsters which are a bit more tactical.

Anyway, I am looking forward setting up that wither farm and start challenging myself to how many Withers I can face together :D
I'm assuming the chopping block uses smooth stone texture?
Last edited by Luciferous Leo on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Luciferous Leo wrote: While I do enjoy the odd face to face smash with mobs in minecraft, I don't think it will ever be truly fun until you get monsters with an AI a bit more complex than 3 lines of code that all the normal hostile mobs seem to have.
I'm giving you a "Rule #1" warning for the above statement, as:

a) You really don't know what the hell you're talking about.

b) Don't off-topic the release thread.
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

After finally getting my pc back from storage over the weekend, it seems that it's time to update from version 3.91 in my SSP world. Thanks a lot for this man.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
ma-ta

Post by ma-ta »

Thanks FC !!
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Thanks FC! :) I look forward to upgrading. I've missed a few updates, what with going to Prague for my birthday, so I look forward to discovering what 1.4.2 has in store. And more important - what BTW 4.34 has to offer. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Oh, good heavens. This chopping block looks like it will be fun...

Thanks for the update, FC!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

The chopping block will be very useful in anarchy for traps! Thanks FC!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Great update as always FC.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Changed the "limit pigman and magma cube" option to the more general "limit nether mob spawns", and applied it to blazes and wither skeletons as well. These mobs can now only spawn on netherrack, and netherbrick.
Does this include from blaze spawners? If so will be back to the drawing board for my blaze farm.

EDIT: or turn the option off, forgot about the config file.
Last edited by Magick_Miner on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Ooooooh, new toys to kill people with, awesome !
Thanks bro :)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Great release FC. Was looking forward to something like the chopping block, we ahd some serious issues building our blaze farm in the nether because of that!
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Wow. The speed that you put out new tweaks and content is truly amazing.

Thanks for the update.
shifty

Post by shifty »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the "limit pigman and magma cube" option to the more general "limit nether mob spawns", and applied it to blazes and wither skeletons as well. These mobs can now only spawn on netherrack, and netherbrick.
Am I right in thinking that this would allow you to construct your own 'netherfortress' mob farm? By building a structure out of netherbrick over a large lava lake mobs would only be able to spawn there and you can farm the drops.

Also thanks for the new release :)