New Release! (BTW V4.31)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.31)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.31 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Updated the mod to version 1.4.2 of Minecraft.

-Added ability for skeletons, zombies, and creepers to drop heads of the corresponding type upon death.

-Added *significant* bonus for collecting heads from mobs if they are killed with a Battle Axe.

-Added in internal mechanism for several mod blocks to help prevent them "jamming" if an update is missed for whatever reason. This affects Stoked Fire, Buddy Block, the Hibachi, Bellows, Block Dispenser, Detector Block, Gear Box, Hand Crank, Light Block, Mill Stone, Pulley, the Saw, and Screw Pump.

-Changed mobs so that they'll drop any carried equipment regardless of whether they are killed by the player or another source.

-Changed Fuses, Elements, & Filaments to be created in the Cauldron before silk is converted to wool.

-Changed (increased) the durability of Tanned Leather Armor to relate better that of regular leather.

-Changed the Hand Crank to not activate on left click, so that it behaves in accordance with the changes made to similar blocks (like the lever) in 1.4.

-Changed the name of the vanilla Anvil, removed all GUI functionality, removed the damage it takes from falling, changed its bounding box to better reflect its shape, added the ability to rotate it on the Turntable, and changed the recipe for it to only require 7 iron ingots (no blocks).

-Changed the name of the "Stewing Pot" back to the "Cauldron", and renamed the vanilla one to the "Cistern". I just couldn't take it anymore, and if I'm going to be renaming vanilla blocks anyways for things like the Anvil, I may as well go whole hog on it :)

-Changed the mod's reliable block update code to be off by default due to it apparently causing memory leaks on SMP servers. However, with the above changes to block updates, the impact of this should be relatively minimal, and players can re-enable it in the config file for their single-player games if it causes too many problems. I'll be working to resolve the memory leak in the near future, but for the time being it was causing too many problems to leave on by default.

-Changed the sounds on several mod blocks to make use of the new ones in vanilla.

-Fixed problem with tame wolves displaying the angry wolf texture.

-Removed the ability of mobs (skeletons & zombies) to spawn carrying leather, gold and diamond armor (only iron, and chain). This was done to prevent the devaluing of gold, diamonds, and Glue.

-Removed ability of zombies to drop carrots, potatoes, and iron ingots. In the case of iron ingots, this was done because they now drop large amounts of iron just due to their armor and weapons.

-Removed ability of zombie pigmen to drop gold ingots and nuggets. This was done because they drop a large amount now with their carried swords.

-Removed glowstone dust, redstone, and gunpowder from the items that witches drop to prevent the devaluing of those resources.

-Removed a bunch of stuff that villagers used to sell, including anything made out of diamond. I'll be tweaking villagers further in the future, but for now, this was too unbalanced to leave as is.

-Fixed vanilla bug with the extinguish sound not playing when you put out a fire.

-Fixed problem with Stewing Pots and Crucibles not exploding when Blasting Oil is overheated.

Known Issues with this release (will be resolved shortly):

-Soul Urns and Dynamite can not currently be dispensed from the vanilla dispenser.

-Maps mounted in frames will not display properly when you load a saved game if they are not exposed to the sky.

-The Block Dispenser can not currently "throw" splash potions.

-The Detector Block may currently miss updates on chunk load that may cause Gear Box breakage due to Wind Mills spinning out of control.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

HavokSCOUT

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.31)

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Cool, Viking beheadings :D
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.31 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

[...]

-Changed the name of the "Stewing Pot" back to the "Cauldron", and renamed the vanilla one to the "Cistern". I just couldn't take it anymore, and if I'm going to be renaming vanilla blocks anyways for things like the Anvil, I may as well go whole hog on it :)

My old friend... It's good to have you back! :D

Great job, FC. Really looking forward (with some trepidation, mind you) to hearing the new sounds!
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Scarrboros

Post by Scarrboros »

So many sweet things in this release. Thank you very much for the fantastic update. Will be good to play BTW in 1.4 as well.

:)
gazelutza

Post by gazelutza »

finaly thx FC u rullz :X

Finally, a reason to ban you. Didn't took you that long though.
-Batto
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Awesome :)
You know what it means ;)
Thanks bro for the double gift : a new release, and a newb to ban :
gazelutza wrote:finaly thx FC u rullz :X
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Flowerchild, I can never say this enough. Thank you for all your hard work, all the updates and goodies. :) *wiggles*
Last edited by destineternel on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Arandia

Post by Arandia »

-Changed the name of the vanilla Anvil, removed all GUI functionality, removed the damage it takes from falling, changed its bounding box to better reflect its shape, added the ability to rotate it on the Turntable, and changed the recipe for it to only require 7 iron ingots (no blocks).
lol.

This is great. Thanks for fixing my minecraft FC, it was in need of a tune-up (and the guys working on it seem to be using an oil can as a wrench).

Better Than Wolves indeed.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys! Sorry it took longer than I anticipated. Once 1.4.3 was announced, it kinda took the wind out of my sails and I decided to take my time on this one. There didn't seem to be much point rushing given I'm just going to have to do this again within the week :)
Arandia wrote:
lol.

This is great. Thanks for fixing my minecraft FC, it was in need of a tune-up (and the guys working on it seem to be using an oil can as a wrench).

Better Than Wolves indeed.
Hehe...yeah, the vanilla anvil was really super sloppy man. Everything from the bounding box just not at all resembling the object itself, to it not properly displaying its orientation while falling (which I haven't fixed yet, but which I likely will). I disabled most of its functionality, and there was still significant work to do to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the game :\
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yay Yay Yay hugs!
Thank you very much for the time that you put into each and every release, it makes me feel proud to play 'your' minecraft. : )
Never say no to Panda.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:to it not properly displaying its orientation while falling (which I haven't fixed yet, but which I likely will).
Don't bother too much with that, it's in 1.4.3 pre-release if I remember right ;)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Holy Fuck!
Amazing!
I hope the donation for that well deserved beer found you!
foreman

Post by foreman »

A reason worth making a trip into town for internet speedy enough to download the latest version of minecraft.

Thank-you for all your hard work FC, minecraft is the only game I'm playing lately and it's not minecraft w/out BTW, you rock!
Arandia

Post by Arandia »

FlowerChild wrote:[T]here was still significant work to do to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the game :\
Ya... of course, that is a different thing altogether from saying "bringing it up to the standard of the rest of BTW". I hope you go for the latter, because the former... is frankly starting to smell.

Thanks again for the hard work on an excellent mod.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Oh wow, I did not expect such an early christmas present =D and it'll probably not even be the last one!
Great job as always, I'll update my server straight away. Thank you for your hard work =)
Can't wait to see what you've decided to call the anvil.
Western-Knight

Post by Western-Knight »

I shall now use heads for every single one of my turntable timers.
A knight without armor in a savage land.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Western-Knight wrote:I shall now use heads for every single one of my turntable timers.
Doh! You just made me realize I forgot to rotate heads on the Turntable.

<adds to todo list>
Western-Knight

Post by Western-Knight »

I guess I'll have to do that when I return from basic training then. Either way, making machinations grislier is always fun.
A knight without armor in a savage land.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

LOVE the new name for the vAnvil. Braught a chuckle.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Wooo!
1.4.2!

I can't download it and update my server yet, but as soon as I get home, that will be the first thing I do.
Looking forward to seeing the new name for the vanilla anvil, hope it fits with the game but sticks it to the man at the same time.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

Thank you once again now off to play with all the goodies xD
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

thank you FC for another amazing release! one thing that made me chuckle a little tho was
Followed by
-Fixed problem with Stewing Pots and Crucibles not exploding when Blasting Oil is overheated.
guess its going take us all a couple of days to get used to the fixed names again :p

Keep rockin FC, BTW is the only reason i still play MC. (as most of us here do)

Edit: one little question and forgive me ignorance as iv gotten a little confused with the happenings of the week. Does this version require mod loader (as normal) to be installed?

Edit 2: answered my own question. for anyone else wondering, yes, mod loader (1.4.2) is required for this version to be installed (just as always)
Last edited by odranoel on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Sweet, thanks for all the hard work FC. As always your hard work is appreciated!

Best part is, I've finally convinced enough of my friends to allow it on our group server! This is going to be a blast!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Sweet! This is becoming a very good day indeed. :)

A really big thanks to you for this one FC, balancing what Mojang comes out with cannot be an easy task.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: A really big thanks to you for this one FC, balancing what Mojang comes out with cannot be an easy task.
Well, I'm probably not done with the vanilla 1.4 additions either. I've yet to spawn a Wither and build a beacon (need to build a Nether-fortress mob trap first), and I suspect I'll want to make a number of changes to the beacons at the very least :)