New Release! (BTW V4.21)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.21)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.21 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added "Hardcore Spawn" as new optional game mode (off by default). This mode is largely intended for anarchy servers where it prevents such problems as spawn-camping, players immediately returning to cause problems after they are killed, and idiocy like intentional suicides to get back to original spawn. It thus makes traps and general base defense much more effective. Despite being primarily intended for anarchy play, it can also make for an interesting single-player experience for the more hardcore amongst us as it gives much more impact to player death and encourages player construction and exploration over a wider area. Note that with Hardcore Spawn enabled, spawn build protection is automatically disabled, as it becomes irrelevant.

-Added "Hardcore Player Names" as a new SMP server option. This is largely intended for anarchy servers, where player names act as a rather unfair way of detecting a player's location without line of sight, and of immediately identifying friend or foe (which eliminates a lot of potential tension in encountering another player). It totally disables player names appearing above a player's avatar, but may be disabled in the mod's config file.

-Added new cheat/server-op command "/loc" that will display current co-ordinates within the world.

-Added new usage case for the "/time" cheat/server-op command. Entering it without parameters will return the current overworld time.

-Changed endermen from being lame and annoying, to being cool and sinister.

-Changed maps so that they won't display your location, or draw in new terrain, while you are underground or inside (you have to have open sky above you).

-Changed the Stake so that it is treated as a block when filtered by a Hopper.

-Changed Rotted Arrows so that only 4 are required to break them down in a stoked Stewing Pot, rather than 8.

-Changed the way Planters display to hopefully resolve some performance issues on lower end systems.

-Changed the way Unfired Pottery displays internally to avoid code duplication with the display of the various cooked pottery types.

-Removed option for reverse Gear Box placement as it had become redundant due to the ability to rotate Gear Boxes after placement. Also, it was no longer working properly with SMP and thus was becoming more trouble than it was worth.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ulfengaard

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.21)

Post by Ulfengaard »

Just a note to say thanks, FC. Very excited, as always.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Woohoo... you're amazing.. this will be great.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added "Hardcore Player Names" as a new SMP server option. This is largely intended for anarchy servers, where player names act as a rather unfair way of detecting a player's location without line of sight, and of immediately identifying friend or foe (which eliminates a lot of potential tension in encountering another player). It totally disables player names appearing above a player's avatar, but may be disabled in the mod's config file.
So, if we DO encounter someone, how do we communicate with them if we don't know their name other than using world chat? I do however welcome the removal of the horribly cheaty "seeing a person move through 3 Metres of solid rock" mechanic.
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed endermen from being lame and annoying, to being cool and sinister.

-Changed maps so that they won't display your location, or draw in new terrain, while you are underground or inside (you have to have open sky above you).
Hell yes! that's gonna be fun.

Love your work as always!
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

So this is the enderman change update, sweet!
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Hardcore Player Names makes me really really fucking happy. In combination with the Hardcore Spawn, I won't feel as much of a need to go into 'stealth mode' with my pinky on the shift key near "original" spawn.

Looking forward to playing with the endermen. Thanks FC :)
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

No more random holes/pips in terrain! Woohoo! Thanks you FlowerChild! Also small fixes and tweaks are always neat.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added "Hardcore Player Names" as a new SMP server option. This is largely intended for anarchy servers, where player names act as a rather unfair way of detecting a player's location without line of sight, and of immediately identifying friend or foe (which eliminates a lot of potential tension in encountering another player). It totally disables player names appearing above a player's avatar, but may be disabled in the mod's config file.
Ooh, This one looks promising. I think you'd talked about/been suggested getting names set to display only when you can actually see the player but with it changed to working this way makes me excited to see how or whether we'll see players adapting to having their skins as the only method of recognition.

New disadvantage to SFS?
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Wow, I'm glad I did what I needed today. Not being able to use a map.below ground would have been frustrating. I love the name change though. Didn't feel.right raiding someone when their name gave them away.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

... or draw in new terrain, while you are underground or inside (you have to have open sky above you).
This bit is good!
-Changed maps so that they won't display your location... while you are underground or inside
But this is sheer brilliance!!

Loving the implications of these changes latley - I love playing hardcore, especially when exploring but it so often feels like a waste of time if I'm doing the hard way 'just because'. Now I have reasons to track general direction in caves, where entrances come out etc... love it!! :D

Thanks for this update FC!
Six

Post by Six »

Ribky wrote:Hardcore Player Names makes me really really fucking happy. In combination with the Hardcore Spawn, I won't feel as much of a need to go into 'stealth mode' with my pinky on the shift key near "original" spawn.
Out of sheer paranoia I found myself hammering shift whenever I saw a player join and looked around me (especially if I was in someone else's base at the time...). This also lets me use a simple silent base-in-a-hill and feel a lot more safe too, which is nice.

Really looking forward to finding out these new Enderman changes too.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I am so freaking excited to try these changes out! See you guys later, I'm playing me some BTW!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Wow, I'm glad I did what I needed today. Not being able to use a map.below ground would have been frustrating. I love the name change though. Didn't feel.right raiding someone when their name gave them away.
And having an underground GPS did? Grow a pair man.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Unsure whether to turn hardcore spawn on on my server or not... If I had more info...
Spoiler thread, to the rescue!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*squee!*

Just throwing that in before bed, will read patch notes closer with caffeine in the morning.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Exciting! Can't wait to see what the endermen are like now. With the hardcore player names how are we supposed to identify people at all?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Dudes, try thinking about ways around this before you say "OH noes." I've only been thinking about it for a minute and already I've come up with:

Plopping a sign in front of you with your IGN on it for the other player to read. They can then /tell to that IGN with a code phrase, and you have to write it on your next sign. Then they do the the same. Hell, only one of you needs a sign. Of course, you have to not kill each other long enough to do this.

Trade signed books. Make the books on the spot so you know the other guy's nick from the book. For other reasons I'll outline tomorrow, you're gonna want to start keeping signed books around anyway.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Dudes, try thinking about ways around this before you say "OH noes." I've only been thinking about it for a minute and already I've come up with:

Plopping a sign in front of you with your IGN on it for the other player to read. They can then /tell to that IGN with a code phrase, and you have to write it on your next sign. Then they do the the same. Hell, only one of you needs a sign. Of course, you have to not kill each other long enough to do this.

Trade signed books. Make the books on the spot so you know the other guy's nick from the book. For other reasons I'll outline tomorrow, you're gonna want to start keeping signed books around anyway.
This is the first thing that came to mind

Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
shifty

Post by shifty »

Another brilliant update, fixing those little things to improve the game tenfold.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

yay! update time! as always nothing but the best from you, :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I for one will probably give hc spawn a shot in SSP just so that I can get familiar with how it works and as another incentive to stay alive.

I'm very excited to check out the enderman. Thanks for the tweaks and new stuff!
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Woo-hoo, update!

Thanks FC, totally appreciate the work you put in on this.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Sweet updates thanks FC!
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Thanks Flowerchild for the update! :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks a lot for the update FC !
As always, I'm sure to enjoy this.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.