New Release! (BTW V4.20)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.20)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.20 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added the Stake as a new block type. It is crafted with a string on top of a wood Moulding.

-Added Hardcore Bedding as a new mod feature. This effectively disables beds as a means to set spawn position and to skip the night. This was done to encourage construction (especially of rail networks), restore the balance between day and night activities within the game, restore the impact of weather on gameplay, and to give player death more consequence. Beds are just a bad feature, mkay?

-Added Hardcore Info as a new mod feature. This removes any information in the debug menu that can be used to gain an in-game advantage, while leaving in place any info that would be used for tweaking performance and such. It also adds a new display for how close the player is to a chunk boundary, since this can be used to workaround bugs in redstone circuits due to how block updates work in vanilla, while not providing cheaty info about which direction the player is facing. Long story short: no more in-game GPS :)

-Added ability to cut wood stairs with the Saw.

-Added recipes to melt the Ocular of Ender, and Ender Spectacles in the Crucible.

-Added Hardcore Chests to the options that are displayed when a player joins a multiplayer server.

-Added a new aspect to Hardcore Chickens.

-Changed Pedestal placement so that it works more like vanilla slabs.

-Changed (refined) the tests that the Ender Spectacles use to determine if mobs can spawn somewhere to provide more accurate results. This will resolve problems like them not indicating snow as a valid spawn location.

-Changed the Crucible so that gold items are melted before iron.

-Removed vanilla recipes for turning red & yellow flowers into dyes as part of Hardcore Grinding. This may be done in the Millstone.

-Fixed problem with arrows bouncing off of mobs.

-Fixed problem with mooshrooms wearing breeding harnesses having mushrooms poke through them. Mooshrooms now convert to regular cows when you put a harness on them.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

HavokSCOUT

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.20)

Post by HavokSCOUT »

You sneaky bastard+ trying to release an update while I'm asleep. Good job as always
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added recipes to melt the Ocular of Ender, and Ender Spectacles in the Crucible.
Ah Mah Gawd YES! *squee!* I was really dreading having to go out and find endermen when my spectacles broke as it looked like they were about to do soon. Crucible here I come! :D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Just barely got a chicken farm of a sort up and running on the server so I look forward to being able to experiment on this one. This actually seems like it will be a more useful F3 in the long run since I tended to always end up off by a meter or two when trying to use the straight coordinates to find chunk boundaries without ice blocks being available.
Better is the enemy of Good
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added ability to cut wood stairs with the Saw.
Thank you
FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Stake as a new block type. It is crafted with a string on top of a wood Moulding.
Really liking this feature.
Spoiler
Show
At first I was looking for a gauge or something, but the low tech way of counting what's leftover was really interesting.
Great job as always
Last edited by TheGuy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

*squee*
Spoiler
Show
I am assuming the stakes are used for measuring distances when building? if yes, do we use them with string like the tripwires?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
TheLordOfDerp

Post by TheLordOfDerp »

No more beds?
Oh noes...
But what are beds for now, hmmm??
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Oh noes! No more breeding harnesses for my Mooshrooms! Great update man!
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheLordOfDerp wrote:No more beds?
Oh noes...
But what are beds for now, hmmm??
Silly rabbit! Didn't you know? Beds are for banning.

Oh...and you can also fling them and wave them about.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

love the new stake block!
+1 for Hardcore Bedding.

Thanks for the update Flowerchild. :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Hardcore + Beds

I think there's some videos about this.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Mr Scratch

Post by Mr Scratch »

While I like the hardcore bedding feature, I wouldn't go as far as to say they are a bad feature. It can be viewed as a cheat to some, and I would have understood if it were a nerf to them resetting spawn. However was it really necessary to disable their ability to turn night to day? Its one of those features which are so easy to ignore and play normally, yet people blow the issue out of proportion. However I AM glad that you seem to be keeping the ability to use these as a high power explosive in the end, as that was my main use for beds anyways.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mr Scratch wrote:While I like the hardcore bedding feature, I wouldn't go as far as to say they are a bad feature. It can be viewed as a cheat to some, and I would have understood if it were a nerf to them resetting spawn. However was it really necessary to disable their ability to turn night to day? Its one of those features which are so easy to ignore and play normally, yet people blow the issue out of proportion. However I AM glad that you seem to be keeping the ability to use these as a high power explosive in the end, as that was my main use for beds anyways.
Thanks for stopping by.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Thank you SSOOOO much for fixing those bouncing arrows! :D

Now I gotta figure out what happened to my precious chickens.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Oh dear! I was not expecting a new update so soon, let alone such a huge number jump(from 4.16 to 4.20) Would this be due to the fact that you have included 2 hardcore features at once?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

CycloneSP wrote:Oh dear! I was not expecting a new update so soon, let alone such a huge number jump(from 4.16 to 4.20) Would this be due to the fact that you have included 2 hardcore features at once?
I think it goes up by 0.1 when a new block is introduced and by 1 when a major feature or system is added.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I just discovered the new hardcore chickens feature.

My thoughts: ... OMFG!! O.O ... LMAO
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Ooo, you found out already? Think it would be okay to start a new thread discussing it? I am quite intrigued as to what it may be.(can't play atm, game only works on library comps :( )
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Longlay

Post by Longlay »

I was skeptical about hardcore beds, but now I'm curious as to what affects this will have on my gameplay. I've never really had to make a railway, so I'll see what comes out of this.

And as for the stairs, I was just thinking how useful it would be to be able to cut them, and I look and now I can.

So all in all thanks Flower!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: My thoughts: ... OMFG!! O.O ... LMAO
You have no idea how much I laughed while testing and fine-tuning that feature today ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It's good to see hardcore beds and info. I suppose I can remove my mod thread since now everything is in BTW lol. :)

Funny I thought the bouncing arrows was a vanilla 'feature' so you could recover your arrows... :P
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

My roommate saw the thread title, and the only thing he remembered about this mod is hemp, so he's gone for a while to celebrate...*sigh*
Anyways, I can't wait to get on tomorrow and discover this new hardcore chickens feature and if there's anything more to hardcore bedding than meets the eye(at least that I can find).

Keep up the great work FC! :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Coexist

Post by Coexist »

-Added the Stake as a new block type. It is crafted with a string on top of a wood Moulding.

Awesome.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Funny I thought the bouncing arrows was a vanilla 'feature' so you could recover your arrows... :P
I actually thought it was a vanilla bug for the longest time, finally decided to fix it, and pulled a face-palm when I realized it was due to an if statement I had accidentally copy-pasted twice :\
Indras

Post by Indras »

FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed problem with arrows bouncing off of mobs.
Woot! Hopefully I won't have to worry about catching myself on fire with my flame aspect bow anymore. Also, makes feathers valuable again, since arrows will be consumed properly!

Excellent release!