New Release! (BTW V4.12)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.12)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.12 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a new animated texture for Stoked Fire.

-Added particle effects when mechanical devices explode due to misuse.

-Added high-efficiency recipes to make different colored wood stairs out of the various colors of wood Moulding.

-Added code to communicate whether Hardcore Buckets is on when connecting to a server so that clients don't need to have the option set to the same value in their config file for buckets to behave properly.

-Added code to prevent players from being kicked from servers in SMP for flying while standing on moving Platforms or Wind Mills. I couldn't reproduce this problem myself mind you, so I can't be 100% this will resolve the problem for everyone.

-Changed (optimized) several mod blocks to consume less bandwidth in SMP. This applies to: Bellows, Nether Groth, Blood Wood, powered cake (you know you want to), Cement, Hopper, Soulforged Steel, Bloodwood Saplings, Mining Charge, Block Dispenser, Buddy Block, Detector Block, and the Turntable.

-Changed (increased) the range of Nether Groth spore release due to Steve's freakishly long arms.

-Changed (increased) the distance at which animals and villagers will continue to follow you if you're holding a tempting item. This is to help compensate for it being way more annoying to get them to follow you again in 1.3 if they lose interest, and to make transporting them long distances less annoying overall.

-Changed (increased) the speed at which villagers follow you while you're holding a diamond slightly, to match their normal movement speed.

-Changed Cauldrons & Crucibles to produce white smoke when they have a fire beneath them, instead of black, as this is far more noticeable given that fire produces black smoke.

-Fixed the Bellows not lifting entities on top of it when it expanded.

-Fixed blowing particles on Bellows.

-Fixed items blown by the Bellows appearing to jump from place to place instead of moving smoothly.

-Fixed Nether Groth spore release visual effect.

-Fixed Mining Charge explosion visual effects.

-Fixed Hopper particle effect when it is "dripping" XP.

-Fixed vanilla bug that caused XP Orbs to have an invalid position on the client immediately after spawning, causing them to be initially invisible.

-Fixed problem with the Wind Mill not displaying its warning message when there's not enough room to place it.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

dawnraider

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.12)

Post by dawnraider »

Nice! It's always the little things that make the game better. Keep up the good work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

I want to Man-Squee but morv hasn't yet so i guess i'll have to wait...
:(
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*mini-squee* I think the stairs are probably what I'm happiest about from an initial impact sense, but the rest of it is very good and necessary. :)

Edit: You were slightly too fast. You may man squee now Ender lord.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

There's not much in terms of impact or mass appeal with this release (well, other than the stoked fire bit), it's all just me slogging through the trenches, mostly to optimize SMP.

Several solid days of work did go into it though.
Elflordsam

Post by Elflordsam »

Jeez FC, you're just cranking out these updates. Mad props to your work ethic.
Samwise - Redstone Engineer and host of many BTW videos.
http://www.youtube.com/ChapsGaming
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

woo! new update. thank you Flowerchild. :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The little things make this feel like a finished game, unlike of some of the stuff we see elsewhere :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I think the little things in a game define its feel even more than the big features. This release may not be flashy or have huge new content, but I think it is certainly great.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
orlandu84

Post by orlandu84 »

Thank you again, FC! I have never seen a mod updated so often or so well as BTW has been.
Panda

Post by Panda »

In terms of the release thank you soo much for the tweaking!

but sadface, i cant find the new fire texture...
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote: but sadface, i cant find the new fire texture...
Dude...there is no fire texture.

You misread the dev diary thread.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Panda wrote:In terms of the release thank you soo much for the tweaking!

but sadface, i cant find the new fire texture...
FlowerChild wrote:These are algorithmically generated textures btw, so they don't exist as art files or what have you.
EDIT: Almost forgot to say thank you for the awesome release! It's the small things that really contribute to the overall feel of the game. Most of the things that were bothering me since the update to 1.3 have been fixed (the only things left that still bother me are Steve's lengthened arms and arrow bounceback).
Anyway, it's obvious you care about both the mod and the community with these functional and performance tweaks and fixes. Thanks for that.
Last edited by darahalian on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote: but sadface, i cant find the new fire texture...
Dude...there is no fire texture.

You misread the dev diary thread.
My apologies, haven't been following the dev to closely, doing an essay and had a 'oh hay a release!' moment happened.
Thank you for clearing that up, and thank you as always! :3
Never say no to Panda.
jadedcat

Post by jadedcat »

Ooo yippeeeee...woohoo . Umm cool update.
FlowerChild wrote:
-Fixed fucking annoying door-banging ...... BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

Wow, FC. I've said this before, but the speed at which you deliver updates is astonishing. Every single time I manage to group all of my friends to play on our private server we have to update the game. Thank you for your hard work.
FlowerChild wrote: -Added high-efficiency recipes to make different colored wood stairs out of the various colors of wood Moulding.
I'm not sure if this is a tiny oversight, but aren't Stone Brick Stairs gaining one of those recipes, too? Stone Bricks aren't really that hard to stock up, but I've found it relatively annoying that I always have to go back to my storage when I run out of Stairs and can't craft more out of my Mouldings.

Edited for the "overslight". Derp
Last edited by Ceunon on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ceunon wrote:I'm not sure if this is a tiny overslight, but aren't Stone Brick Stairs gaining one of those recipes, too? Stone Bricks aren't really that hard to stock up, but I've found it relatively annoying that I always have to go back to my storage when I run out of Stairs and can't craft more out of my Mouldings.
Doh. Yeah, that's just an oversight. Noted on the todo list of plenty.
The_Ender_lord

Post by The_Ender_lord »

*Gigantic breath*
*Mini Man-Squee*

:D
All you need is bacon and duct tape.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:There's not much in terms of impact or mass appeal with this release (well, other than the stoked fire bit), it's all just me slogging through the trenches, mostly to optimize SMP.

Several solid days of work did go into it though.
I just wanted to say that you're totally wrong about there not being much of impact here.
FlowerChild wrote: -Changed (increased) the distance at which animals and villagers will continue to follow you if you're holding a tempting item. This is to help compensate for it being way more annoying to get them to follow you again in 1.3 if they lose interest, and to make transporting them long distances less annoying overall.
This alone made my day. ;)
finite8

Post by finite8 »

The version check you added in the previous release is a REALLY useful little feature. I didn't realise i was out of date until the server told me so. Smart thinking with that one.

Nice work as always!
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Added particle effects when mechanical devices explode due to misuse.
I may not always blow myself up, but when I do, I'll know it was my fault now.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Ahh, particle effects, sweet sweet particle effects.
elustran

Post by elustran »

Having just read the bug report forum, I know you blazed through some of those bugs faster than pre-nerfed fire spread... all while making over 10% of the posts here and continuing dev work. You are apparently a machine. A machine powered by accolades, coffee, and the souls of the banned.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Dwarg91

Post by Dwarg91 »

Big content updates, or small bug fixes, I always like to see updates. Though that might be the "mini dev" my dad instilled in me. (He was a dev for several companys before his current one bumped him up to management.)
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Thank you for the release, FC!
Awesome as always :)
You know, I don't care about it being a small update. Those details are important, and Mojang should care about them.