New Release! (BTW V4.11)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.11)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.11 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Grinding. This removes the vanilla recipes for bone meal, sugar, bread and cake, requiring the player to use the Mill Stone to grind each of these (wheat may be ground into Flour, then baked into bread or crafted into cake). Thanks to Sarudak for originally proposing this idea, and for going so far as to create a BTW add-on mod that convinced me of what a great idea it is :)

-Added Rotted Arrows as a new item.

-Added ability to fill water bottles from non-source water blocks, as this is rather useful in Hardcore Bucket mode.

-Added some of the newer mod blocks to the creative inventory.

-Added internal functionality for removing vanilla crafting recipes, as this was needed for Hardcore Grinding, and should prove useful for add-on mods.

-Added recipe for breaking down arrows in a stoked Stewing Pot. It's not lossless though.

-Changed (reduced) the amount of Bone Meal required to make Kibble, to help balance its overall usage in relation to fertilizing crops.

-Changed the amount that villagers buy books and paper for, as their relative value didn't make a whole lot of sense given that it was more productive to sell unfinished vs. finished and more resource intensive goods. This effectively decreases the value of paper slightly, while increasing the value of books significantly.

-Changed the Column recipe to be two vertical strips of stone in the crafting grid instead of 1, and to produce twice as much. This is because it fits the recipe for the Pedestal much better, and just looks better overall.

-Changed the Arcane Scroll drop types on pigmen and magma cubes to adjust for the removal of the blaze drop below.

-Fixed problem with weird artifact water being left behind when placing a water bucket with Hardcore Buckets enabled.

-Fixed problem with buckets not showing up in the creative inventory with Hardcore Buckets enabled.

-Fixed problem with the Block Dispenser being able to pickup end portals.

-Fixed problem with villagers selling Hemp and writable books in SMP, rather than buying them.

-Fixed problem where librarian villagers were buying Hemp instead of Priests. This simply would not do.

-Fixed red particles when living entities come into contact with a powered Saw.

-Fixed Placenta! Woot! :)

-Removed the Arcane Scroll drop from blazes, as the only way to effectively farm them is through spawners.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Anbaric

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.11)

Post by Anbaric »

Placenta is back! Yay!

And more use for villagers? Sounds like a great update!
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*waits for Sarudak's reaction*

I'm glad Hardcore Grinding is included in the mod proper. I want to keep my LP just pure BTW, but I was also very interested in this mechanic :D

And, YAYAAYAYAYAYAYAYA PLAAAACENTA! So glad you're back, darling friend!

*squee!*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

PLACENTA HAS RETURNED!!!!! ALL HAIL FC!

Oh yeah. And the other stuff is neat too ;) I'm really happy to see the Hardcore Grinding making its way into the vanilla BTW (yes I called BTW vanilla), as I have been thoroughly enjoying the additional challenges it provides.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these Rotted Arrows are... And I am very glad to see that librarians have returned to their spot as pillars of society, and the Blazes being returned to their spot as a guarded source of blaze rods and not a headache for scroll acquisition.

As always, thanks FC. Looking forward to trying out all the new changes.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:*waits for Sarudak's reaction*
I consulted with Sarudak before adding it in (which is why he was being a smart-ass in the dev diary thread about the upcoming hardcore mode ;) ), so it's all good :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote:*waits for Sarudak's reaction*
I consulted with Sarudak before adding it in (which is why he was being a smart-ass in the dev diary thread about the upcoming hardcore mode ;) ), so it's all good :)
Oh, I figured. I was just hoping for a man-squee. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: Oh, I figured. I was just hoping for a man-squee. ;)
Hehe...yeah, I feel like a bit of an ass for not taking his suggestion for this more seriously when he first proposed it. Especially with some of the recent additions to the mod like Hardcore Bone, and Kibble, I've been thinking more and more about it and it just works so well, and does some very interesting things to the early tech-tree for the mod (like using the Mill Stone more actively while first growing Hemp to both grind the fibers and grind the bone to fertilize the crops).

Anyways, I was both reluctant to start modifying vanilla recipes (to which I finally said "fuck it" with this release), and overloaded with "Hardcore Everything" suggestions as the time he initially suggested it, so it took me awhile to come around and see the light ;)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Another release full of win. And the glorious return of placenta! *wiggles*

Flowerchild once again.....thank you for all your hard work and thank you for the best damn mod out there.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I was both reluctant to start modifying vanilla recipes (to which I finally said "fuck it" with this release), and overloaded with "Hardcore Everything" suggestions as the time he initially suggested it, so it took me awhile to come around and see the light ;)

Ok, enough Off-topic from me, but I couldn't resist.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

:)

Glad to see hardcore grinding will be reaching such a wide audience.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...one thing I've learned from this though: massive numbers of bad suggestions can blind me to good ones.

From now on though, Sarudak's get priority consideration in terms of me turning my "all ideas are crap" filters down when reading his suggestions ;)
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Great work as always, ever since smp compatibility I've convinced my sister to test the mod (we have a friend who has the mod on his server) and it is awesome to be able to see irl how everybody builds differently.

Even though you have imo probably among the highest ethical standards in vMC modding community (which in itself is pretty much a godsend), I personally believe it is more okay for you (only because it is you ;)) to do more of the gameplay- precedent overwrites when it comes to stuff like hcb and vanilla recipes.
You alone are working to make this game into the dream game I had visions and the expectations that I had of vMC when I first saw it!
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CreeperCommando wrote:You alone are working to make this game into the dream game I had visions and the expectations that I had of vMC when I first saw it!
Awww...thanks man. That's mighty kind :)

I'm really glad that people here seem to be appreciating a lot of these changes I'm making to vanilla functionality. They're not the kind of "big ticket" features that people in general take notice of, and I know there are actually a fair number that will be put-off by these things, but at the same time, I do put a lot of effort into thinking them through and then implementing them, so it's good to hear from the people that like what I'm doing with them.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:From now on though, Sarudak's get priority consideration in terms of me turning my "all ideas are crap" filters down when reading his suggestions ;)
I appreciate that. I do try to think twice and three times before making a suggestion. My new question for myself before making a suggestion is "would I be willing to implement this?"
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Man, to heck with the haters. Hardcore grinding is a 100% improvement in my book, if only because of the huge improvement to my suspension of disbelief; grinding bone into bone dust with your bare hands - not to mention magically transforming wheat into bread - has always been among the least believable crafting recipes for me.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

FlowerChild wrote:
CreeperCommando wrote:You alone are working to make this game into the dream game I had visions and the expectations that I had of vMC when I first saw it!

I'm really glad that people here seem to be appreciating a lot of these changes I'm making to vanilla functionality. They're not the kind of "big ticket" features that people in general take notice of, and I know there are actually a fair number that will be put-off by these things, but at the same time, I do put a lot of effort into thinking them through and then implementing them, so it's good to hear from the people that like what I'm doing with them.
Remember, We're here because we agree with, and appreciate your view of the way Vanilla should be. Don't listen to those simian masses in the MCF, (Not that you do) and do what you feel needs to be done. If we didn't like the mod and the whole idea behind it, none of us would have ever made an account.
We love you, you spiky thing!
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

It would have been a brilliant release with only for the ability to finally clear out those amassed double-chests of arrows. Added to that the hardcore grinding (yay for baking bread) and the scroll drop being removed from blazes and....whoooo.

Of course I'm finally going to find a fortress with a blaze spawner now I've said that, but still.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
shifty

Post by shifty »

Anbaric wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:

Remember, We're here because we agree with, and appreciate your view of the way Vanilla should be. Don't listen to those simian masses in the MCF, (Not that you do) and do what you feel needs to be done. If we didn't like the mod and the whole idea behind it, none of us would have ever made an account.
We love you, you spiky thing!
Thanks for the update! Couldn't have said it better myself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:It would have been a brilliant release with only for the ability to finally clear out those amassed double-chests of arrows.
Fuck man...I know that's going to take a very long while for me, so yeah, cheers to that :)
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Is there a wiki page for the placenta? (I did look by the way) I want to find out whether it's a useful item or just odd and amusing (like the gimp suit). Or even if it's an item at all...
Anyway, thanks for the update and the tweaks, interested in rotted arrows!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Placenta is just a particle effect, not an item. A much beloved particle effect.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

>_< My server admin still hasn't updated to 4.10 Must get him to update to 4.11 asap. Double update ftw!
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Okay thanks :D I thought that was it, and that was why I added the bit about it not being an item at all. I left the item bit in there too, because I could have been wrong :)
So what does the effect look like? It's animal birthing, yeah, but what does it look like?
Thanks!
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

FlowerChild wrote: Awww...thanks man. That's mighty kind :)

Ok, I took a glance at MCF, and oh my tentacled eldritch god (officially abbreviated as OMTEG)......... If you need manly friend- hugs I'm here for you man.
I know that they at MCF as individuals don't mean any harm, but the collective self entitlement that they radiate is bloody depressing, at least it isn't 100% redundant.
Big props for staying there and caring for such a community, even though it is your special flavour of love ;)
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Detritus wrote: So what does the effect look like? It's animal birthing, yeah, but what does it look like?
Thanks!
Really. I don't have the words to describe the awesomeness. Go make two cows/pigs breed. Make sure you have your sound turned up all the way. Experience the full impact, young disciple!