New Release! (BTW V4.01)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.01)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.01 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added ability to use bonemeal on Hemp due to popular demand! Rejoice!

-Added Hardcore Bone.

-Added wood Siding, Moulding, and Corners for each of the different colors of vanilla wood, as it just felt really weird without them since the different colors were added to the game. Note that old wood blocks of these types (which can be identified by shortened names such as "Moulding" instead of "Oak Moulding") will not mix with the new ones in recipes, and will not stack with the new, but placing then removing the old blocks will correct this problem.

-Added Stone Brick Siding, Moulding, and Corners. More varieties of such blocks will be coming in the future once extended blockIDs are made available, but given that stone brick is probably the most popular building material right now, I figured this one was worth it, and I needed a simple test case for the new Siding, Moulding & Corner code.

-Added the ability for Moulding to connect to other Mouldings of the same type. Try it out, you'll see what I mean :)

-Added the ability to use Soul Urns as fertilizer on netherwart & Nether Groth, just like with Bloodwood Saplings. This provides a method of kick-starting netherwart farms, albeit a very expensive one.

-Added the ability for priests to buy Hemp.

-Added recipes to convert Unfired Pottery back into clay balls in the crafting grid to make it a little easier to start over when you mess up while spinning pottery.

-Changed Vine Traps to use a system similar to vanilla slabs to determine whether they should be placed upside down or not.

-Changed the recipes for both Blood Wood Saplings, & Nether Groth Spores to require 8 Soul Urns each. You're creating life here after all :)

-Changed recipes for Dirt and Wool Slabs to require two of the full blocks side by side in the crafting grid. This is so that they conform better to other
vanilla slab recipes, and conflict less with other mods while retaining the ability to make them without a crafting table.

-Changed the order in which the Crucible cooks its contents so that items are melted down before new ones are created for convenience. The overall order now is: combustible items burn, items melt down, then new items (such as Soulforged Steel) are created.

-Changed priests to buy the book & quill, rather than books that are already written. This is to avoid the annoyance of putting a single letter in a book in order to be able to sell it.

-Changed Wool & Dirt slabs to handle light opacity in the same way as vanilla slabs.

-Changed the bounding box on Hemp so that it resizes to reflect its growth state.

-Changed shovels (including the Mattock) to be effective when used on tilled earth.

-Fixed problem with Unfired Pottery sometimes displaying the cooking texture when it is first place in the Kiln, only to change back to the regular texture, then back again to cooking.

-Fixed problem with melon and pumpkin stems not displaying properly when the seeds were first planted in Planters.

-Fixed problem with being able to place blocks like torches and redstone on top of empty Planters.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Ribky

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.01)

Post by Ribky »

That... is... a big sexy changelog.

Time to figure out Hardcore bone... heh.

EDIT: Oh and my standard thank you is most certainly in order :D
Last edited by Ribky on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added ability to use bonemeal on Hemp due to popular demand! Rejoice!
Yesssssssss the slow start to the tech tree always annoyed me. Thankyou very much for this ^^
Hopefully bone going hardcore doesn't offset it too much...guessing it just involves having to grind bonemeal in a millstone rather than magically doing it in a crafting grid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

grimper12341 wrote: Yesssssssss the slow start to the tech tree always annoyed me. Thankyou very much for this ^^
Oh how I love a good hardcore bone. Thank you for being the first sucker to fall for that :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Oh, I'm sure hardcore bone offsets ANY benefit of being able to use it on hemp.

1. Hardcore bone. Oh baby, oh baby! And I'm not just saying that for the description - the implementation of what it is, or even just what it could be at this point is one of the sexiest things added to this mod to my ears.

2. Connected moldings. Seriously awesome!

3. Priests buying hemp. LOL! The satire continues! :)

4. Changed recipes for Bloodwood and Groth. This feels right to me. It also makes it a bit more of an investment for SMP to keep from insta grief. ;)

Overall, I have to give this update a rating of SQUEEEEE!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

mmmm, Hardcore Bone....

That changelog is impressively long for a .01 release, but I can't complain about new content. Thanks man :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:4. Changed recipes for Bloodwood and Groth. This feels right to me. It also makes it a bit more of an investment for SMP to keep from insta grief. ;)
Well, the main reasons made that change were because:

a) Nether Groth is a lot more fun to play with when you build pathways for it to grow over rather than just plant additional spores, so I wanted to up the cost to encourage that behavior.

b) Once you plant a Bloodwood Sapling, you wind up with a surplus of them very rapidly, so I want there to be a higher initial cost since it's really a one time deal.
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

Got excited when I saw the previous thread was unstickied.
Obviously excited about the moulding placement system, and of course hardcore bone. Actually also very happy with the smaller feature of converting unfired pottery to clay - that will make testing an autopottery so much easier.... Thank you as always, FC!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed Vine Traps to use a system similar to vanilla slabs to determine whether they should be placed upside down or not.

-Changed Wool & Dirt slabs to handle light opacity in the same way as vanilla slabs.

-Changed the bounding box on Hemp so that it resizes to reflect its growth state.
Awesome.

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed shovels (including the Mattock) to be effective when used on tilled earth.
I had always assumed that we were more reluctant to dig up earth we had spent time cultivating...
FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with Unfired Pottery sometimes displaying the cooking texture when it is first place in the Kiln, only to change back to the regular texture, then back again to cooking.
That was a thing?! I spent four hours changing and watching my kiln because of a bug?! I feel so stupid...

Going off to try out the bonemeal changes now, but I already know they'll be excellent. Many thanks for the hard work and time you've put in.
Iodinium

Post by Iodinium »

Are we allowed to post our findings on hardcore bone here?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Thanks <3. :)
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Extremely excited for the mouldings bit. Hardcore bones sound quite interesting as well, can't wait to learn what they actually do though. Best guess is either increased growth rate or extra drops when full grown. *Goes off to test*
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Just curious, but is it intended that corners can't be combined into a moulding anymore in the crafting grid? Was testing some stuff for my bug report just now and now figured I'd turn them back into wood blocks afterwards so they didn't clog up my entire inventory, but was unable to.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Fist thing I did was to cover my farm fields with bonemeal, now it looks like the world has a nasty rash. :P
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Awesome update... as always!
I'll test out this version as soon as possible, I'm very curious about this bonemeal stuff... Weren't you saying you didn't like it?...
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Oooh, that was way more interesting changes than I was anticipating. Can't wait to try out hardcore bonemeal and the new mouldings! Thanks so much, FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:Just curious, but is it intended that corners can't be combined into a moulding anymore in the crafting grid? Was testing some stuff for my bug report just now and now figured I'd turn them back into wood blocks afterwards so they didn't clog up my entire inventory, but was unable to.
Doh! You just reminded me that I had intended to rip those recombination recipes out of the mod entirely and note it in the change log, as they're waaaaay too much trouble to maintain with all the varieties in the mod now. The different colors of wood make them a particular pain in the ass.

As it is right now, they just haven't been added for the new block types.
Talarga08

Post by Talarga08 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability to use bonemeal on Hemp due to popular demand! Rejoice!
It's a trap!!! *puts on tin foil hat*
FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Bone.
Something doesn't feel right... *gimp suits up*
Much better now! ;)
Random MCF Derp wrote:(Wolfaboo/Forge/Update rant)
Flowerchild wrote:Fuck off.
TheTrollerOfTrolls

Post by TheTrollerOfTrolls »

Talarga08 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability to use bonemeal on Hemp due to popular demand! Rejoice!
It's a trap!!! *puts on tin foil hat*
TRouble APproaches*

In the form of BTW server noobs with 20 stack of legit padding
Talarga08 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Bone.
Something doesn't feel right... *gimp suits up*
Much better now! ;)
Dat gimp suit must be pretty good considering it dosen't have arms...
A short summary of what to do upon encountering various trolls:
Server troll:Appeal to server admin for banhammer.
Forum troll:Tell the admin then run like hell as the admin rampages around with a banhammer.
Admin troll:Disconnect from server immediately.
Mystiske

Post by Mystiske »

Not sure if it's been noticed or not but in the BTWConfig there's a semi-colon between the IDs: fcBlockWoodBirchMouldingID=199;
fcBlockWoodJungleSidingAndCornerID=200.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Right, having played with the brick mouldings a bit, all I have to say is: damn you, FC, for making me make walls that torches won't stick to! :P
BrainNoMore

Post by BrainNoMore »

I wont lie - when hc sheeps where introduced I was reluctant to update only to slaughter my already colored collection in exchange for new genetically colored farms, I also throw out 5 stacks of eggs when hc chickens where introduced so even though I'm little scared not knowing what hc bone is I'm really excited putting fate in your creative genius :D Thank you FC for another wonderful update :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Next hardcore feature...
Spoiler
Show
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Sorry, DP.
Last edited by The great randomo on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

FlowerChild wrote:Next hardcore feature...
Spoiler
Show
Or as my friend accidentally put it, hardpork!
Awesome release for such a small version number. :)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.