New Release! (BTW V3.91)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.91)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.91 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the Mould as a new form of pottery. The Mould is an item that is ignored when crafting. It may be used to turn the Anvil into a crafting grid with a custom shape and size, to aid in general mass-crafting.

-Added the Canvas as a new item (Fabric surrounded by Moulding 4X4).

-Added ability to melt vanilla cauldrons down in the Crucible.

-Added another mysterious property to Soulforged Steel blocks.

-Change the Anvil so that you can leave Moulds in it between uses, to preserve custom crafting grids created as described above.

-Changed Nether Growth so that lava and other fluids will flow through it, destroying it in the process.

-Changed the name of "Nether Growth" to correct a typo.

-Changed how the mod works internally to avoid a conflict in creative mode with the last released version of BTB.

-Changed Hopper to eject items from a random stack in its inventory rather than always the first occupied one, to help prevent exploits.

-Fixed problem with player being able to pick up Netherrack with Nether Growth on it with the Silk Touch enchantment, when you're not supposed to be able to.

-Fixed problem with the Lens being activated by light-sources with way too low a light level (like redstone repeaters and nether portals). Now it will only respond to sources like torches, Light Blocks, jack'o'lanterns, etc., as was originally intended.

-Removed alternate recipes for Rope and paper that were added in version 3.80, as this functionality is now effectively replaced by Mould items.

-Removed the various forms of Unfired Pottery from the creative-mode inventory, since the finished versions are already there, and it was just cluttering the interface for nothing.

-Remove ability to use bricks as "filler" in the Block Dispenser and Hopper. Sorry guys, but it was way too open to exploits.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

The great randomo

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.91)

Post by The great randomo »

:O
Moulds!
Awesome update!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Cool. Like this one. Lots of stuff for such a small number.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Talltree

Post by Talltree »

Awesome, thanks FlowerChild
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Joeyjoebob wrote:Cool. Like this one. Lots of stuff for such a small number.
Well, it's just odds and ends really. I had a bit of a rough week, so didn't have as much time to spend on the mod as I would have liked.

Wanted to get these features out though, before moving onto bigger things :)
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Ohhh, new release! :D
And new things to play with...
Quality comes before quantity.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

=o I like the sound of the canvas, and the steel just keeps getting more mysterious.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

You mean that I won't waste so much time crafting my stone bricks now ?
Yeehaa :)
Thanks bro =)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:You mean that I won't waste so much time crafting my stone bricks now ?
Yeehaa :)
Thanks bro =)
Hehe...yup, that's pretty much what it amounts to :)

2X4 crafting grid with shift-click is one of the most useful things ever ;)
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Ok, so I haven't done this yet, but...
FlowerChild wrote:-Added the Mould as a new form of pottery. The Mould is an item that is ignored when crafting. It may be used to turn the Anvil into a crafting grid with a custom shape and size, to aid in general mass-crafting.
This will definitely make mass-crafting much faster for me. Thanks.
FlowerChild wrote:-Added the Canvas as a new item (Fabric surrounded by Moulding 4X4).
Is there any specific purpose for this, or is it just aesthetic?
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability to melt vanilla cauldrons down in the Crucible.
<3
FlowerChild wrote:-Added another mysterious property to Soulforged Steel blocks.
Oh, you cheeky bastard.. Now I'll be up all night looking for this "new property".
FlowerChild wrote:-Change the Anvil so that you can leave Moulds in it between uses, to preserve custom crafting grids created as described above.
Ok, good, I was thinking to myself that moulds wouldn't be very useful unless they actually somehow stayed in the anvil, so thanks.
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed Nether Growth so that lava and other fluids will flow through it, destroying it in the process.
Good change, didn't really make sense that that didn't happen before.
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the name of "Nether Growth" to correct a typo.
Huh... I always thought they were meant to be named "Nether Growth Spores", to be honest.
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed how the mod works internally to avoid a conflict in creative mode with the last released version of BTB.
BTB related feature? Wat? :P
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed Hopper to eject items from a random stack in its inventory rather than always the first occupied one, to help prevent exploits.
I don't really understand this one, but if it's to prevent exploits, then it's good :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Fixed problem with player being able to pick up Netherrack with Nether Growth on it with the Silk Touch enchantment, when you're not supposed to be able to

-Fixed problem with the Lens being activated by light-sources with way too low a light level (like redstone repeaters and nether portals). Now it will only respond to sources like torches, Light Blocks, jack'o'lanterns, etc., as was originally intended.
Bug fixes are always good.
FlowerChild wrote:-Removed alternate recipes for Rope and paper that were added in version 3.80, as this functionality is now effectively replaced by Mould items.
Makes sense.
FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the various forms of Unfired Pottery from the creative-mode inventory, since the finished versions are already there, and it was just cluttering the interface for nothing.
This'll make it a bit harder to test auto kilns in Creative, but then again, you don't even support Creative, anyway, so this is a welcome change.
FlowerChild wrote:-Remove ability to use bricks as "filler" in the Block Dispenser and Hopper. Sorry guys, but it was way too open to exploits.
It was a good concept to begin with, but I guess it had to go.
FlowerChild wrote:Enjoy! :)
Oh, I will :)
Quality comes before quantity.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Sweet! Excellent update FC!

The BTB thing confuses me though. I thought you didn't care about creative mode and were abandoning BTB, so I'm just scratching my head a bit as to why a conflict with BTB in creative mode would be a problem.

Keep up the great work!
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: The BTB thing confuses me though. I thought you didn't care about creative mode and were abandoning BTB, so I'm just scratching my head a bit as to why a conflict with BTB in creative mode would be a problem.
It was a quick change for me to correct a small oversight I had made in a previous release that caused this crash-bug with the last version of BTB.

Since the last version people will have of BTB will be for 1.2.5, I just wanted to make sure that the last release of BTW for 1.2.5 (whatever one that is) still works with it.

I don't want to get into the habit of doing this kind of stuff, but it was easy enough to do in this case that I thought it worthwhile.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ThatOneDude wrote:I don't really understand this one, but if it's to prevent exploits, then it's good :)
It's related to exploits that wound up setting up the Hopper as a universal-filter because of the ways in which it handles its inventory, which was obviously not the intention with the block (otherwise, I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble to create the filtration system that I did).

Ejecting from random stacks destablizes such setups, causing them to fail with time, while it shouldn't have any impact on legitimate builds.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FC, another update, oh my! Thank you. gah! can't keep up with the new stuff. Need more caffeine, must not sleep....
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.91 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added the Mould as a new form of pottery. The Mould is an item that is ignored when crafting. It may be used to turn the Anvil into a crafting grid with a custom shape and size, to aid in general mass-crafting.

-Change the Anvil so that you can leave Moulds in it between uses, to preserve custom crafting grids created as described above.
This is why I appreciate this mod. There are simple solutions, done in other mods, and even the ones you did changing the recipes, but you went the extra length to create a cool design/mechanic. I now have another neat thing to build, an array of anvils for various purposes. It's totally unique, and fits so perfectly well with everything already in the mod and turns a slightly annoying vanilla task (crafting vertical items) and not only resolves it, but makes it actually interesting.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Thanks for the update FlowerChild !
Your way of making mass-crafting easier is very interesting.
And Canvas ? Hum... I guess we will see more with this in later releases :-)

Anyway, thanks a lot !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote: This is why I appreciate this mod. There are simple solutions, done in other mods, and even the ones you did changing the recipes, but you went the extra length to create a cool design/mechanic. I now have another neat thing to build, an array of anvils for various purposes. It's totally unique, and fits so perfectly well with everything already in the mod and turns a slightly annoying vanilla task (crafting vertical items) and not only resolves it, but makes it actually interesting.
Thanks man! I'm quite pleased with it too. After I put out the alt-recipes a couple of releases ago, I realized I was on a slippery-slope where I'd have to keep adding and supporting them for other recipes ad nauseum, and thought there really had to be a better way. Originally, I was going to give the Anvil a persistent inventory for all kinds of objects, but I really didn't like that idea as it clashes with the rest of the storage blocks in the game having some kind of empty space within them to justify that. When I realized I could make an item-specific inventory that would only apply to Moulds though, it sold me on the idea.

Anyways, hopefully this will allow people to customize their crafting experience to a sufficient degree that it will never be an issue again. Whatever bulk-crafting jobs any particular player tends to do frequently enough to become annoying, they now have the ability to make their own life easier by creating their own solution.

And yeah, it does add an interesting aspect of setting up properly configured anvils in various parts of your base to handle the mass-crafting jobs that you may be performing there :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

New release? *squeee!*

I see how it is - I go to the grocery store and come back to new stuff! I guess this means I need to get away from the computer and go shopping more often ;)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Canvas... hmmm... I like where this is going, and I'm really looking forward to see where this one goes. I'm looking forward to going Bob Ross on that shit.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:Canvas... hmmm... I like where this is going, and I'm really looking forward to see where this one goes. I'm looking forward to going Bob Ross on that shit.
And I'm sitting here looking forward to the massive conspiracy theories that are about to erupt ;)

EDIT: And it looks like the fun has commenced on MCF :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BTW in three words: Molds, Moulds, Mouldings.

Great update!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:BTW in three words: Molds, Moulds, Mouldings.
Lol! Indeed. Is it all some colossal Freudian Sleep on my part?

Perhaps I really should have that condition looked into...
simanick

Post by simanick »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added the Mould as a new form of pottery. The Mould is an item that is ignored when crafting. It may be used to turn the Anvil into a crafting grid with a custom shape and size, to aid in general mass-crafting.

amazing, so versatility and eloquent , and now to go make more anvils...
FlowerChild wrote: -Remove ability to use bricks as "filler" in the Block Dispenser and Hopper. Sorry guys, but it was way too open to exploits.
:(
XantyZon

Post by XantyZon »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:Canvas... hmmm... I like where this is going, and I'm really looking forward to see where this one goes. I'm looking forward to going Bob Ross on that shit.
And I'm sitting here looking forward to the massive conspiracy theories that are about to erupt ;)

EDIT: And it looks like the fun has commenced on MCF :)
I just assumed that you were just helping us pitch a tent for BTW.
Is it better to have posted and failed or to have never posted at all?
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

^ I was actually thinking tents similar to that old zipline mod at first >_>;; I miss that mod actually.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.