[Solved]Need serious help with a tree farm..

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pentagram

[Solved]Need serious help with a tree farm..

Post by Pentagram »

Hey everyone.
In my HCB world (yes, this means water can't be too much of a large part of the design), I want to set up an automatic tree farm, for logs not planks.

The idea I have in my mind is:
1. Tree grows (no duh!)
2. Sand(/gravel) pushes logs up to pistons, which push the logs to a side
3. More pistons push the logs down
4. A block dispenser collects the logs in its inventory.

I want the logs to come back down so that I can have the block dispenser easily accessible.
I would like them in logs form, so that they take up less chest space, but also so that I have the option to turn them into charcoal if necessary.
Oh, and I don't like having to empty multiple BDs :s lol, hence why I want them all to feed towards 1 BD

I have absolutely no idea how to do the up/down cycle switching thing :P
I'd also like to know the most efficient way to do the down cycle, turn it into items then into a hopper which feeds a BD, or to slowly drop it 1 block at a time.

If someone has a tutorial for something like this (I can probably work out the logs being fed down myself) it would help a tonne.

[I spent 3 days searching for a tutorial for something that could help me do this. BTW Forums, MCF, YouTube, Google!]
Unrelated; my HCB world image.
Show
Texture Pack
Haven't managed to find textures which are up to date in 64x for BTW that fit with the style of this TP though :(
Last edited by Pentagram on Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Williamson

Re: Need serious help with a tree farm..

Post by Williamson »

Hi!
Here are a few threads explaining how to make different tree farm designs, all of which have different considerations.
Here are the links:
My sand based birch tree farm, with connected mass kiln (replace with a BD if you want):
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2501
Chaechew's saw based birch farm (easy and fast to use with bonemeal or otherwise): (no logs here)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2484
Chaechew's block dispenser based bloodwood farm:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2542
Stormweaver's tree farm design: (could be well suited for you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3381&p=51596
Hope those help! Good luck with your design!
Williamson
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Awww... my design didn't get a method :`(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o49Xecaq ... r_embedded

Obviously the water part you don't want, but the pushing up and collection part is still useful.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

Sorry! :( Looking at that video, I remember it from the old tree farm thread!
I think yours was the one that finally made me click on how the up/down cycle could work.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Williamson - I did ask on your video (tonight) if you could make a tutorial. Trying to copy it from the video was confusing haha.
I think look at those, Stormweavers looks good, I'll just need to download the world and take a look.
Thanks a lot :)

Finite, I did watch both your videos, but the wiring is all hidden! D: [From what I remember....] or too confusing for my simple mind ^_^

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Edit: so that's why I couldn't find Storms thread... it was called "So I just won redstone".. not very helpful for tree farm searches :p
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

If you think that it would still be useful, I could try to dig up that old world to do a step by step construction of it.
Tbh though, I explain the main elements of it, which are the key to making it work (detection, up/down cycle). Also check the update to that video.
If you still want more specific stuff, then I'll throw something together.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I'm currently in Storms world, but I can't seem to get the BD to suck up the logs quick enough compared to how fast the pistons are feeding them in... going to have to work out delays somewhere.. if I can

Is there a way to prevent the BD from spitting out items?

I'm trying to use this setup in Storm's world... but the BD keeps spitting out a block, which unpowers the BD (as it is inverted) so the BD takes the item back in.

I don't want the item which has been spat out to interfere with the logs coming in.. which is what is currently happening
PIC
Show
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Pentagram wrote:I'm currently in Storms world, but I can't seem to get the BD to suck up the logs quick enough compared to how fast the pistons are feeding them in... going to have to work out delays somewhere.. if I can
You could also try another approach for this specific problem. Place 2-5 BDs next to the logs and a detector block at the end. That way one DB doesn't have to keep up with the pistons, but you only need to trigger the BDs every 2-5 piston movements.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Whisp wrote:
Pentagram wrote:I'm currently in Storms world, but I can't seem to get the BD to suck up the logs quick enough compared to how fast the pistons are feeding them in... going to have to work out delays somewhere.. if I can
You could also try another approach for this specific problem. Place 2-5 BDs next to the logs and a detector block at the end. That way one DB doesn't have to keep up with the pistons, but you only need to trigger the BDs every 2-5 piston movements.
^ this is a good point. Though you could alternatively slow down the farm itself by increasing the delay on the 'first' piston in the system to the same effect.

For harvesting, you'll either need a monostable to quickly power and unpower the BD, or a saw.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

I'm trying to use this setup in Storm's world... but the BD keeps spitting out a block, which unpowers the BD (as it is inverted) so the BD takes the item back in.

I don't want the item which has been spat out to interfere with the logs coming in.. which is what is currently happening
afaik, if there's an already-powered piston at the other end of the log-chain, it should push them before the BD can replace it.

If not, replace the redstone dust on the right side with a repeater, and set it on 3 or so. Should help.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Stormweaver wrote:
Whisp wrote:
^ this is a good point. Though you could alternatively slow down the farm itself by increasing the delay on the 'first' piston in the system to the same effect.

For harvesting, you'll either need a monostable to quickly power and unpower the BD, or a saw.

I was using a monostable for the BD. I had a permanent source before where the last block would be pushed, infront of the BD. Then a monostable circuit leading to an inverter then the BD. This would send a short pulse, but the BD would power back on and place the block repeatedly between tree growth cycles.

I would much rather use 1 BD than 2-5, but if necessary I may have to do that.

Thanks for the help, Storm and Whisp :)

Edit:
Jay42 wrote:

afaik, if there's an already-powered piston at the other end of the log-chain, it should push them before the BD can replace it.

If not, replace the redstone dust on the right side with a repeater, and set it on 3 or so. Should help.
That worked perfectly, however when there isn't a log there, the BD repeatedly places and removes the block.
I'm worried that when it places one, the pistons will try pushing a log, which will cause the system to jam as it can't be pushed.

Edit: Yup, that happened when I tested :/
I could have it only powered when there are logs in the tree... i'll try that.

Edit #9512...
That worked, but the BD placed 1 last block.

But that's fixed by the next tree that grows ! :D

Storm, did you ever sort out auto-planting saplings?
[DROPBOX] Storms world up to now (my edits)
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

...Is there ANY way to auto-plant birch and have them grow? I'm not sure..
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

To my knowledge and according to the wiki, the birch tree needs an empty space of 5x6x5 for the small or 5x8x5 for big trees. So you can still plant them with a BD next to the sapling. Only difference to apple trees is, that you can't detect growth on the trunk above the BD.
Instead a repeater towards the sapling with redstone on the other side or a lens can be used.

Other than that it shouldn't be any more difficult to build a birch tree farm than with any other type of tree.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I have managed to solve it, I didn't know it needed an air block above the height of the BD.
Got the timing perfect too. If anyone wants to see the world and how I edited it, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmbgjnuu4duxn ... FarmV3.zip
Williamson

Re: [Solved]Need serious help with a tree farm..

Post by Williamson »

Just wanted to post here that I've spent a little while playing around with Stormweaver's design. Wow! It's the most impressive thing I've seen in a while. Made up of several independant parts, buildable in AofV, pretty cheap. Also, very easy to expand upon. Just took a little bit of tinkering to add an autoplanter, and probably the same for collection (I'm aware Pentagram did this, but I think everyone has different needs from collection).
I'll be using this design from now on in my worlds. Thanks!
Pentagram

Re: [Solved]Need serious help with a tree farm..

Post by Pentagram »

Yeah, the collection can be done in so many ways... for example keeping his pistons, but then when they can't push another row of logs, have BDs suck in the last line. This gives more storage space, and works too.

I just personally wanted 1 BD to empty, as I'm lazy.

I doubt I'll collect... 1024 logs before I empty the BD though =P