New Release! (Version 2.82)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (Version 2.82)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 2.82 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This version contains the following changes:

-Added alternate fence recipe using Moulding.

-Added alternate wood stairs recipe using Moulding.

-Added alternate sign recipe using wood Panels.

-Added alternate door recipe using wood Panels.

-Added alternate trap door recipe using wood Panels.

-Added alternate recipe for the Wood Blade using wood Panels instead of wood blocks.

-Removed some trailing spaces after the fcGrateID line in the mod's config file to fix a problem with all settings after that line not being read by the game. ****WARNING****: This change may invalidate some save-files IF you had previously reassigned the values that were not being read properly. In order to get around this, you'll need to use the default values for item ID's for lines after the one mentioned above, since this is what your save was previously using.

-Added code to ignore spaces in the config file to prevent the above kind of problems ever occurring again.

-Fixed problem with mod blocks with inventories ejecting their contents in such a way when they are destroyed, that the resulting items sometimes become stuck in neighboring blocks. This still occurs with vanilla blocks however (like the chest).

-Block Dispensers now destroy the inventory contents of any other Block Dispensers they swallow to prevent exploits involving this behavior.

-Fixed problem with Bellows not expanding if the Axle powering it was destroyed.

-Fixed problem with player falling down through the block below if minecart he was riding was swallowed by a Block Dispenser.

-Fixed problem with scaling of textures on the switch for the Turntable.

-Made a number of changes to the mod's code structure to make it *less* dependant on the world.class (fd.class in 1.7.3). This should reduce (not eliminate) the number of problems that people experience with the mod if they overwrite this class with one from another mod (like ShockAhPI, the Aether or MC Extended).

-Fixed problem with the Saw occasionally breaking when trying to cut blocks pushed by pistons.

-Fixed problem with regular torches sometimes rotating improperly on the Turntable.

-Fixed bug with Block Dispenser being able to pick up ice blocks.

-Changed Companion Cube to eject red dye when ground in Mill Stone as opposed to red wool.

-------------------

I didn't get the new texture system in there yet as I'm pretty damn sick of working on fixes and compatibility issues at the moment and would much rather get back to some fun feature coding for a little while before tackling that ;)

Enjoy! :)
grimper12341

Re: New Release! (Version 2.82)

Post by grimper12341 »

Yay ^^
FlowerChild wrote: -Fixed problem with the Saw occasionally breaking when trying to cut blocks pushed by pistons.
Hmms I thought my saw breaking was from my windmill being affected by weather when I wasn't looking even tho it's in a desert biome lol...seems it was to do with the pistons then o.O

Thanks for all the fixes ^^
Last edited by grimper12341 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gumbyscout

Post by gumbyscout »

FlowerChild wrote: ...
I didn't get the new texture system in there yet as I'm pretty damn sick of working on fixes and compatibility issues at the moment and would much rather get back to some fun feature coding for a little while before tackling that ;)
Did you happen to already mock up what the btw's terrain.png will look like so people can start converting their textures?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gumbyscout wrote: Did you happen to already mock up what the btw's terrain.png will look like so people can start converting their textures?
No. That's actually the most tedious part and what I am currently avoiding ;)
gumbyscout

Post by gumbyscout »

FlowerChild wrote:
gumbyscout wrote: Did you happen to already mock up what the btw's terrain.png will look like so people can start converting their textures?
No. That's actually the most tedious part and what I am currently avoiding ;)
I would throw all of them into a .png file for yah, but I bet you would want to order them in a logical fashion to easily make sense of the indexes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gumbyscout wrote: I would throw all of them into a .png file for yah, but I bet you would want to order them in a logical fashion to easily make sense of the indexes.
Yeah, thanks for the offer, but I'm probably going to take the opportunity to restructure the way a bunch of the blocks are textured too, so it unfortunately wouldn't help me much.

I'm just fairly sick of dealing with this kind of fiddly stuff at the moment. I'm at my best (and happiest) when I'm implementing new stuff, and I start to drag my heals after I've been dealing with the kind of small issues in this most recent release if I keep at it for too long. Doing the texture thing at the moment would just make my productivity drag if I forced it any more.

I appreciate the thought though :)
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

New stuff! I love new stuff! But in all seriousness, do what makes you happy! Keep up the great work dude!
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

FlowerChild wrote: I didn't get the new texture system in there yet as I'm pretty damn sick of working on fixes and compatibility issues at the moment and would much rather get back to some fun feature coding for a little while before tackling that ;)
Thank you for taking your time to do monotonous work. And I'm sure everyone can wait on the textures, because everyone is waiting to see where you take the mod next =D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Agreed. I want to know what Glue, Tallow and Hafts are for! Even if I don't have it yet to play with, I just want to know. hehe

You wonderfully evil man, Flower. You tantalize us. I don't even get all that much time to play these days (still haven't managed to grow hemp yet!!) and just thinking about it all keeps me happy.

Have fun. Put something new in. Then fiddle for a while. It works.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: Have fun. Put something new in. Then fiddle for a while. It works.
Hehe...yeah, that is generally the way I work. I pour out a few new features, then stabilize everything again before moving on to the next leap forward :)

If you just leave all this stuff for some ambiguous future date...well, you wind up with Minecraft ;)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah ^^
Fixes : Good job !
New recipe : Awesome, I love that kind of stuff ! Using the Saw is becoming always more usefull !
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote: If you just leave all this stuff for some ambiguous future date...well, you wind up with Minecraft ;)

And we all know what happens when you get Minecraft! *stern PSA voice*

Oh, wait. That means we get BTW eventually. And the cycle repeats. *Circle of Life music in background*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

morvelaira wrote: Oh, wait. That means we get BTW eventually. And the cycle repeats. *Circle of Life music in background*
Win.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Yay! Nice job. And now instead of blood-stained wool, we get a slightly congealed bloody paste to dye things with when we grind up our faithful companions. Awesomeness. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
darknessLPs

Post by darknessLPs »

With how popular FC and BTW is I'd like to make a suggestion to make FC's life a bit easier.

If you have friends who know how to code in java then perhaps you could request their help when dealing with minor problems that slow down the implementations of new parts of the mod. This could alleviate the 'grunt' work on you and make your life a little easier.

Alternatively, I'm sure there are several people who enjoy the mod that are on this forum who can code in java. It would likely be possible to release the parts of the source code that you want fixed directly to a few of them and then choose a version which you prefer.

I know as a coder(non-java) myself I always like to work on my own product by myself and only get suggestion from other people on how to go about doing something if I'm stuck but if you're willing to do either of the two suggestions above then perhaps you won't get frustrated about it. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote: And we all know what happens when you get Minecraft! *stern PSA voice*

Oh, wait. That means we get BTW eventually. And the cycle repeats. *Circle of Life music in background*
Lol! Well, I meant more along the lines of you get a whole ton of bugs that you are stuck resolving in one huge mind-numbing batch, kinda like Minecraft is now, but what you said works too :)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote: And we all know what happens when you get Minecraft! *stern PSA voice*

Lol! Well, I meant more along the lines of you get a whole ton of bugs that you are stuck resolving in one huge mind-numbing batch, kinda like Minecraft is now, but what you said works too :)
Yes, but you also get a pretty neat musical with dancing animals out of the deal.

Which, frankly, is a pretty good deal really. Start a circus with them, retire on the funds! Or something.

That said, whee, new release - I'm liking the addition of extra "efficent" wood recipes. It'll be nice if only for reducing the monotony of running a manual wood farm, and the resulting issues involving Mutant Super Trees and Tree-Creepers. (Seriously, fuck tree-creepers). Now to see if i can get my wood-processing machine really working.

(I have some basic proof of concept versions that use Block Dispensers, hoppers and saws in combination to process wood, but they get bogged down due to the "multiplication" effect sawing wood has, so I've got to design some way that lets the system shunt wood down multiple pipelines. Hmm. If i do it right, theoretically i should be able to make a system that takes in a single block of wood, and then out puts a wood plank, panel, moulding, corner, gear - which would actually be pretty handy)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

making some of the simple stuff cheaper to make at a higher tech level I like :) .
And thanks for fixing ( as best you could the Aether compatibility ) I know you didn't have to do that so thanks .

And just a side note : but you have have not updated the Official Announcements section yet. (Or if there is a moderator here you could fix it for fC ) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61

thanks Again
Big Shiny Toys
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

darknessLPs wrote:If you have friends who know how to code in java then perhaps you could request their help when dealing with minor problems
Well, I don't think FC will be up for that, but if he is at any point, I'd be glad to help out with minor tweaks and stuff of that nature.

I think the best course of action would rather be that I start on the BTW add-on I mentioned and, just like Notch, FC can just grab anything out of it that he'd like. In the course of doing that, I might stumble upon minor bugs, which I can then just directly notify him off.

That is, if I can actually get started on it, because I'm preparing for an Oracle database exam
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Yeh flower already said he doesn't want help because he doesn't want the hassle of having to order people around and wait for them to do stuff.

But flower also said that working on bug fixes is tedious and he'd much rather be coding in new things...so might be able to make something work there.

...But flower might also be one of those types who thinks if you want it done right you do it yourself (which is probably right in his case)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys, but yeah, as I've said before, I work alone.

I really have no problems with fixing bugs (I think I'm actually pretty good about taking care of them in a timely manner). I just get fidgety when that's all I've been doing for awhile, and I get the strong urge to go back to making features. It's just a question of balance, not a complete distaste for the activity.

Ultimately though, coding features is more fun. The other stuff is as a necessary part of that. I just didn't feel like getting a double dose of it by tackling the conversion to a new texture system right away.
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

I love seeing new uses for the saw. Especially now that I'm actually putting together a finished home base and have a workroom all laid out. I might have to expand it and add chests designed to hold moulding and panel pieces separately now!

Great work as always, Flower!
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

Thanks for the release, I always look forward to them to give me ideas to play around with in my world :)

If I was you, I'd do one release with all fun stuff, then next do bug fixes, after that do fun stuff again....and so on etc :)

Emma
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emmasteadman wrote:Thanks for the release, I always look forward to them to give me ideas to play around with in my world :)

If I was you, I'd do one release with all fun stuff, then next do bug fixes, after that do fun stuff again....and so on etc :)

Emma
That's often how I wind up doing things. Full releases tend to have the version number incremented by .10 (like 2.70) while the bug-fix/tweak releases in-between are incremented by .01 (like 2.71).

I usually do at least one of the smaller releases between each of the larger.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:
-SNIP-

I usually do at least one of the smaller releases between each of the larger.
Unlesss... You happen to find some turbo charged coffee and you just so happen to take a large slurp, thus resulting in brain activity increase of 7x usual. and then you hit the computer and do some mad programming (soo much that the keyboard turns to a melted mass of plastic) and there are several new addations all spaced about 1 hour apart each adding a new and complex system to the game! :)

annd just to keep on topic, i am grateful that you were/ are able to pump out updates at such a high rate! Glad that i can keep making and discovering new things!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO