Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - v. 0.2 Improved Nether Patch!

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.

Which Textures Should I Use For Dirt and Dung (Choose one for each)

Old Dirt for Dirt
4%
New Dirt for Dirt
12%
Old Dung for Dirt
4%
New Dung for Dirt
31%
Old Dirt for Dung
8%
New Dirt for Dung
31%
Old Dung for Dung
No votes
New Dung for Dung
12%

Total votes: 26
Eriottosan

Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack - v. 0.2 Improved Nether Patch!

Post by Eriottosan »

Apologies - this project is currently on pause. I promise that I will return to it, and I will finish it, though I cannot give an honest estimation of when I will return to it - it may be weeks or months before I am able to work on this again. But it will be finished, one day.

Hey all.

QUICK UPDATE: Extra, Extra!
Thanks to the latest version of MCPatcher and its CTM support, I am able to do something to the Nether that I wanted to do for a while. I will withhold the details, but you should notice the difference ;). Unfortunately, this means a bit of legwork on your end as I can't rationalise uploading the entire pack just for this quick fix, so download the patch zip, extract it and drag the contents into the main zip for my pack.
Needless to say, you need to use the new MCPatcher and enable its CTM support for this to work.
It is worth it, trust me :D. Here is the patch download: http://www.mediafire.com/?o9vk7z1wb7x9zfw
(I'm a bit excited about this as you can tell ...)

Version 0.2 is now out!
This release includes some tweaks to the last version, plus terrain textures for BTW and Kaos' add-on, as well as a few bits and bobs (signs, enchanting table's book, minecarts, boats, &c).

Here is the image for the poll:
Spoiler
Show
This is my first texture pack, so I am using 128x to give myself some breathing room - apologies if it means you can't run my pack :'(.
As such, you need MCPatcher to run it properly. Due to the fact that the animations includes mod textures, Optifine HD Textures WILL NOT DO, but by deleting the aaw.class from the Optifine.zip as outlined on their forum page, you can then install the MCPatcher HD Textures and everything runs swell, and you can have Connected Textures, which this pack does support.

Stone, cobblestone, gravel and all blocks dependent on these have different colours depending on biome. Generally, it is very subtle - desert looks more yellow, frozen biomes are grey and cold, and the rest are all blueish. The only extreme one is mushroom biomes, which are, well, I'm sure you can guess.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?k3zj9a4b20525an
Download link for textures for Kaos' Deco Add-on: http://www.mediafire.com/?24w6l4dbzo3ug3h

To install the textures for Kaos' Add-on, extract the .zip and drag and drop the contents into the main .zip for the Texture Pack.

Some screenshots:
If you have any screenshots using my pack in-game, feel free to share them and I might well put them here :) (with your permission, of course!).
Spoiler
Show
Two screenshots of a town, courtesy of Starshifterxen.
Spoiler
Show
Plank textures and wood textures in 2x2 squares (4 blocks of each).
Left to right, top to bottom: normal planks, pine planks, birch planks, jungle planks, normal wood, pine wood, birch wood, jungle wood.

Spoiler
Show
In 2x2 blocks, left to right, top to bottom: sand, smooth sandstone, hieroglyph sandstone, natural sandstone, snow and ice (2x1 snow, 2x1 ice), cobblestone, mossy cobblestone, gravel, stone, dirt, circle stone brick, mossy stone brick, stone brick, cracked stone brick, brick.

Spoiler
Show
Stone wall with the ores in it. Redstone, diamond and gold are animated.

Spoiler
Show
Wool Tower!

Spoiler
Show
Crafting grid, sticky piston, piston, noteblock, jukebox. Jukebox is animated.

Spoiler
Show
Two Nether shots. Netherrack, Glowstone and Soulsand are all animated.
Spoiler
Show
A selection of BTW things.
Spoiler
Show
A showcase of Kaos' add-on.

Hope you guys like what I've got so far!

What do you all think? Constrictive criticism encouraged. Also, any tips would be very happily received!

Thanks all!
Eriotto
xx
Last edited by Eriottosan on Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 am, edited 16 times in total.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Battosay

Re: Eriotto's 128x Texture Pack

Post by Battosay »

Oh wow !
THat's something I've been wanting to see for a while now :)
Impressive, that's really good !
I love pretty much everything, beside the Netherrack, which seems ... blurry, and not enough detailed, compared to the glowstone for instance.

Nice job man :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Dang! Thats awesome! Sorry you won't be getting a download from me, I can barely run 32 x 32. But man, does that look awesome!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That's really impressive and I may end up having to give high res texture packs another try just for the 'rackeyes.

I'm curious about why different colour planks have different divot designs though.
Battosay wrote: I love pretty much everything, beside the Netherrack, which seems ... blurry, and not enough detailed, compared to the glowstone for instance.
I really like the netherrack. It makes it seem like you're carving out lumps of the dimensions very organs instead of red stone. It all flows together into one pulsating mass of flesh which you burrow through like a parasitic wasp.
Better is the enemy of Good
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Absolutely gorgeous so far. I love it. <3

Let us know when you have a download you want to share :D
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

I am very excited for this texture pack.
I have been patiently waiting for Hi-Res TP to be created (and up to date)
Animated TP to boot!
Cant wait to see the finished product!
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Brilliant. Abso-friggan-lutely brilliant. =D

Just today I mentioned using McPatcher to animate BTW textures in another thread. You sir, have made me happy.

However, I'm with Batto on the Netherrack. Don't get me wrong though, the concept is awesome, stay with that (especially the eyes, though Netherrack is the primary material in the nether and millions of animated blocks may tax some systems.) To me personally, Netherrack has always seemed like some wild mixture between organic tissue and inanimate rock.

To give it a more "Racky" feel, maybe just find a suitable High Res(750x750p or higher) Public Domain stone texture. Completely de-saturate the image and add it to a layer above the Netherrack. Then Resize and change Opacity as necessary. Just a thought.

I'd give more praise on your other textures(You deserve it,) but I need to go cook dinner.

Keep it up man, I'm definitely going to use this once you release. ;D

[Edit]:
Just to clarify on the Netherrack, a "cracked stone" texture might work better. /afterthought
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
shoegun56

Post by shoegun56 »

This is how minecraft shall look in vanilla! Great job! Can't wait to see what this turns into.

(Could you tweak the Bloodstone abit? Something I don't like about it. Other than that, keep it up!)
Cheese. A green one. Yum.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks for the warm reception, guys!

Yeah, I know it's a big pack and that as such it limits who can run it, especially with animations - but it is first and foremost for my use, being my first texture pack (hence the size to give me room to breath).

A finished product is a long way off. By the end of the week I will hopefully have finished the terrain.png and will release that when it is done. Does anyone know what people generally do with regard to protecting such creations?

I can't believe that you posted first and so encouragingly, Battosay - your mix pack was my staple pack for textures until I decided to make this!
TheHoboHunted wrote:To me personally, Netherrack has always seemed like some wild mixture between organic tissue and inanimate rock.
My thoughts exactly. I agree with you and Battosay, the background for it was one of the first things I did. I might well do as you suggest, but as I am using free editors, that means doing it for every frame (unless I get round someone's house with Photoshop and use 'batch') ...

The other thing about the Netherrack is the animation. I may post a video later today showing how it actually works in game. But I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way (possibly a small mod file) to make it so that the animations run staggered, so that not every block gets an eye at once? Like maybe, have a code that says "is the player standing on the block? If true, use eye animation, if not, use default" ... In my mind its simple, but these things rarely are - I (unfortunately) know practically nothing about coding ... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks all! xx
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Oh, and as far as the different styles of wood go, why not? If vMC finally gets round to coding it properly so that different coloured planks make different coloured items, they will have to change as the three non-oak ones don't tile properly on fences &c ... But for now, I think a bit of variation is fair enough, after all:
Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory wrote: What's life without whimsy?
Eriotto
x
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'm not sure that you could tweak the mod to allow staggered animations, but you could always add more eyes to each block, some open, some closed, and others somewhere in between.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks for the suggestion, Katalliaan, but it isn't that I want staggered animation per-se, rather it is a little overloaded with an eye simultaneously on every netherrack in the nether!

Eriotto
x
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Ok, I know nothing about Java, at all (I have decided the little bit I knew is entirely wrong).

Does anyone with modding experience here know if my Netherrack plan is possible?

In my mind, it is simple, but I know that simple ideas are often hard to code and vice versa.

Basically, as I said, the ideal thing would be that any netherrack block that is stood on switches the animation it plays.

I would assume this would mean having a code similar to the pressure plate, which says "use this custom_terrain file when not stood on, and this one when it is", but as it is modifying an existing block, this is probably a base class mod ... But what do the modders think?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Eriottosan wrote:Ok, I know nothing about Java, at all (I have decided the little bit I knew is entirely wrong).

Does anyone with modding experience here know if my Netherrack plan is possible?

In my mind, it is simple, but I know that simple ideas are often hard to code and vice versa.

Basically, as I said, the ideal thing would be that any netherrack block that is stood on switches the animation it plays.

I would assume this would mean having a code similar to the pressure plate, which says "use this custom_terrain file when not stood on, and this one when it is", but as it is modifying an existing block, this is probably a base class mod ... But what do the modders think?
Redstone block more like, you should be able to strip most of the code from there without much extra work.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

So it might be possible, Poppycocks?

In the end of the day, it's not much of an issue if all the blocks stare at once, but would be nice to have it a bit less overwhelming :)

I mean, if it means editing anything which FC edits/wants to edit, then I'd steer clear, as this is supposed to be a TP for Better Than Wolves, so obstructing the BTW code is not a good idea!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

An alternative Netherrack ... What do you guys think? I'm going to stick with one of them for now, not sure which though. Once I've made everything I may revisit it.

New Netherrack:
Spoiler
Show
It still pulses, not that these images really show that. But that is the possible new texture.

Thoughts?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I like it. I think you have the fleshy stone thing down.
And HOW!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

This is absolutely stunning man, keep up the awesome work. The animated textures fit in very nicely!! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

This is amazing. Stunning work! I love the variation you added to the planks. It helps give players more of a reason to use different ones. I'm absolutely sold on this and will use it when/if a download is available. I can't wait!
Smooth stone is a bit...too smooth in my opinion. I'd prefer stone to have a bit more rough hewn texture. But that's just me and I'm particulatly critical of stone in tps for some reason.
That nether is amazing. I've never seen a tp with a better one. The 'new' netherrack is the better of the two imo.

Beautiful work. You really have an eye for textures.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, SterlingRed, I agree - the stone is a bit too much like clay, but of about 30 stone textures I attempted, it was the best of the bunch. Once I've done everything and everything and everything, it is one of the ones I plan to improve first :).

I'm having real trouble with these leaf textures at the minute ...
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Unlike most 128x texture packs, it has a defined style and character. The photo realism ones are all the same and feel dreary, I'll be sure to check this out if my computer can handle it!
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

As far as staggering the animation goes, I think there may be a config file you could create for that thanks to McPatcher. Not too sure that it'll do what you want, but it might do something... In the OP of the McPatcher thread on the MCF, under Advanced Users I think. It should say something more on it than I can tell you.

Hope it helps. =D
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Thanks, Husbag! I suppose it's because I'm making the majority of the textures completely from scratch rather than using images etc.
TheHoboHunted wrote:As far as staggering the animation goes, I think there may be a config file you could create for that thanks to McPatcher. Not too sure that it'll do what you want, but it might do something... In the OP of the McPatcher thread on the MCF, under Advanced Users I think. It should say something more on it than I can tell you.

Hope it helps. =D
All that I can seem to find on the whole thread is changing the speed of each frame &c ... Whereas what I was wanting was to change it so that the animations for 'rack are not all simultaneous (the eyes appear everywhere at once, a little more unnerving than I wanted!)
But for the time being, I won't worry about it :). Thanks anyway, though!

Looking good for a release of the vanilla terrain.png and its respective animations by the end of the week :). But only if I can work out how to make leaf textures that don't look like a monkey made them ...

Then again, enough monkeys with a computer each and enough time, they could eventually produce good leaf textures ...
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Does I'd love to see that! It might make the nether seem like a thinking, seeing entity in which creatures live.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
TTKRickJames

Post by TTKRickJames »

This texture pack looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to your release.

"the eyes appear everywhere at once, a little more unnerving than I wanted!"

As long as they don't move to follow you when you are moving around. That would be unnerving, but also pretty cool.