New Release! (BTW V3.58)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.58)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.58 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Updated to version 1.2.4 of Minecraft.

-Changed Blood Wood logs to craft into reddish planks (same as jungle trees).

-Changed the Saw to output planks of the appropriate color when cutting logs.

-Removed Mojang's new code for saving and loading the sit state of pets, as it was bugged and caused wolves to stand up when they weren't supposed to on chunk load. I've reverted it back to the way it previously was, in which pets would always be sitting on load to fix this.

-Removed all trace of the juicy stuff I'm working on for the April 10th release, so don't bother looking :)

Enjoy! :)
Graphite

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.58)

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:-Removed all trace of the juicy stuff I'm working on for the April 10th release, so don't bother looking :)
Now why do I have Herobrine flashbacks here? ;)

Anyhow, cheers for the update. I'll be installing it right after work today. Also, thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this mod. It really makes a huge difference over vanilla minecraft.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Really didn't expect this ^.^

Good job :) Though this would have been a perfect opportunity to 'accidentally' leave something in to completely mislead people as to the direction of 4.0.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Really didn't expect this ^.^
Eh, I woke up this morning and thought "may as well update...should be a quick one".

8 hours later...

If it wasn't for that silly vanilla wolf-bug I wasted all that time on, I would have been done much sooner, but still...this definitely reminded me of why I don't bother with "frivolous" updates ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:-Removed all trace of the juicy stuff I'm working on for the April 10th release, so don't bother looking :)
The juiciness is gone, but the desire for a taste remains. Ahh, I can almost smell it!

And here is the obligatory squee-let for the little release.

*le squee*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Thank you for the update good sir. But you do realize I will probably be up til 3 am because of this right? (Passing out is usually the only way I can stop playing MC.)
:)
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Thanks so much, just when I wanted to start playing minecraft again and accidently upgraded to 1.2.4 I realized that your mod was not ready for it yet. Your timing is as awsome as always :).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys! I just wound up feeling like I had completely wasted a day of my life, so the gratitude is appreciated :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, for the first time I've been anxiously waiting for an update to BtW since I've been wanting for quite a while now to get back on it, but did not want to start before a vMC version had stabilized. At last!

At least I hope 1.2.4 is the last one for 1.2 :P

Thanks for the update man, I've been update pestering on the inside for some days now :P

Also thanks for the fix on siting states, it's HUGELY annoying when they sit up when you don't want them to.

It's been a while since I've been in my old BtW world, I'm feeling very nostalgic towards that place. And motivated. I might even manage to fix my pre 1.8 dung farm to have a wolf feeder despite the space restrictions, I got a good idea..in my sleep. I'm not kidding. :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: At least I hope 1.2.4 is the last one for 1.2 :P
Oh gawd, I hope so too. If a 1.2.5 comes out this week, I'm seriously going to lose my shit.

So far, I think I've devoted around 24 hours of solid work *just* to 1.2 updates. Total waste of time that hasn't moved the mod forward an inch.

<sobs>
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, it's disappointing having to do such grunt work. This particular time around, things got extra screwed by the break jeb had to take too.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Thanks for taking the time to do this, man. :) I really wasn't expecting any more updates before the 10th. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Flowerchild, thank you! I can't keep up with your updates.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Excellent! :D
hmmm... does the bloodwood planks have it's own texture?
*goes to check*

edit: nope.avi
hmmm... so it's a choice between mildly disturbing jungle trees, or less disturbing blood wood...

*notices he is now in possession of an oak planked house in the middle of a jungle*

*OCD raeg occurs*

welp, better get to work making my brain not want to strangle me with my spine
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Thanks for the update FC. I know that we all appreciate the time you put it to updating each time. :)
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Wow, epic job FC! This has to be your quickest update yet! I was afraid I'd have to stay off of my main world for a week due to being "professionally" obligated to stay on the latest version of MC at all times. I tip my hat to you!
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Didn't expect this update. Damnit, I was planning on building my water storage and distribution system tonight and finish automating sawmill and various farms...instead I'll probably update and work on arsthetics with the new planks.
Thanks FlowerChild! I always apperciate the work you do on the mod and the work you do to fix Mojangs mistakes.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote: At least I hope 1.2.4 is the last one for 1.2 :P
Oh gawd, I hope so too. If a 1.2.5 comes out this week, I'm seriously going to lose my shit.

So far, I think I've devoted around 24 hours of solid work *just* to 1.2 updates. Total waste of time that hasn't moved the mod forward an inch.

<sobs>
There, there dear. Like someine else above, I upgraded without thinking about it (mainly for multiplayer.) While I am personally very glad and appreciative you did this, don't waste your time on version updates again til BTW 4.x is stabilized. Which, knowing you, will be no later than April 11th. <3
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Your releasing updates faster than I cant test them! It's great to see that the updates aren't getting you down. I can see why you take your time.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh wow, I really didn't expect this one. You're too good.
Even if almost nobody cares about 1.2.4, because who gives a shit about 3 new planks and 2 sandstone blocks, you still did it.
I'm in awe.

Thanks bro :)
FlowerChild wrote:Oh gawd, I hope so too. If a 1.2.5 comes out this week, I'm seriously going to lose my shit.
From Bebopvox :
Jeb wants this one to be the last 1.2 update, and wants to have the server-side of the mod API ready for 1.3
( http://youtu.be/aTjA8PvnjQE?t=4m5s )
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Well to say the least Flowerchild we really appreciate all the updates and I think you have everyone everyone nerve running up and down in my spine grinding in anticipation for the April 10th release.

I'm actually pretty excited about the different colored planks so it's great to be able to install 1.2.4 and have the saw working on the planks as well.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm very torn here.

On the one hand, I'm with everyone else here in thanking your for your hard work. I'm filled with respect for your ability to update quickly, identify bugs, code well, and the like. I too squee when you do an update, because even if you aren't adding features yourself, it allows me to use the added features of whatever the latest vMC build is.

On the other hand, I'm greatly saddened by 1.2.4 itself. This has (almost) nothing to do with your update. I simply feel that the different color woods is a horribly implimented feature. It makes me angry, because it's a good idea I want to like, but the execution is terrible and It makes my life harder rather than easier. The fact that only the basic wood block has these colors means that I can't, practically, make use of anything but the standard color wood for all but the most basic of builds. So the end result is not that I have a new freedom of design, but that 3 of the 4 types of trees have become useless to me. This has all the stink of a feature thrown in to appease the crowd, with little thought put into it. New features shouldn't be included in bug-fix releases. They need to be in dev snapshots first.

The "almost" is because Bloodwood giving off-color wood now makes bloodwood far less appealing, for the reasons described. I know it's an aesthetic issue and you don't typically care about those. But If I have an automated bloodwood farm, I'm not going to be able to match the wood that comes out of it with all the other wood-type blocks such as stairs, half-slabs and the various cut mouldings from the saw. Thankfully, I can cut them in half with a saw then glue them back together to get a normal wood block. So thumbs up for providing a way to "de-color" wood. I still think it's less than optimal to embrace this so called feature until it's more mature.

Also, demand for variant colored wood half-slabs and stairs is pretty high, and will almost certainly be pushing a new release soon. The only good that can come out of this is if it also pushes up the block id increase.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Thank you for the update, FC. While the 1.2.4 update doesn't add much in singleplayer (cats getting in the way and variants of sandstone, plus various exploit fixes), it's nice to see. I'm personally impatient for Mojang to release the extended block IDs, since that impedes the modding scene more than anything else.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Aradanwen II

Post by Aradanwen II »

TheAnarchitect wrote: le snip
you realize you can saw planks of all colors? and recraft the sidings into normal wood planks?
so your blood wood is still just use able as normal wood planks (havent tested but think it will work (im on a phone))

hope i helped a little bit.
Steve learns the same way he learns everything else: via maddeningly painful bursts of possibly psychic, definitely psychotic inspiration.
Imskel

Post by Imskel »

thank you so much FW was missing BTW since the 1.2.4 update and i am such a newbie i did not know how to go back to 1.2.3.

thank you so much again.

can't wait to see what you have planned