Fracture's Build

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Fracture

Fracture's Build

Post by Fracture »

This thread is basically just a discussion, be it me asking for help, or getting suggestions, or just plain showing off, about a world I'm making. Pictures are all in posts below, and the download links will be in the spoiler below this paragraph. Feel free, in my world, to do what you wish with what I've created. Post pictures/download links here, if you want, the more people in on this world, the merrier. Enjoy~
Spoiler
Show
--------------------------------
This thread is sort of a perma-WIP. I'm just going to be posting pics of whatever I'm working on in my latest world, made with the seed... "Roarsauce" I think? Something silly like that. Warning-- LOTS of pictures until my laptop decides to stop fucking up on me long enough for me to record videos. For some reason, my much more powerful desktop cannot handle the recording software that my little Acer laptop can, but whatever. Such is life.

So to begin, an image dump of a my first couple projects!

Started out when I found a huge ocean, made a gigantic quarry near spawn and used the mats to fill in this large rectangular area, then built up 5-thick walls, and prepared to make a bridge. But it was ugly, so I abandoned it. I'll make more aesthetically pleasing plans for that location later.
Spoiler
Show

I then moved on to making a much smaller, but prettier (imho) fort that is nowhere near done.
The obligatory scenic distance view...
The slots are for the water wheels, when BTW goes 1.7.x, and the gate mechanism will be housed above.
Up next is going to be my underground base, but no idea where that is. Possible location to expand on for it:
Last edited by Fracture on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
FaceFoiled

Re: Fracture's Build

Post by FaceFoiled »

Looks lik a cool project! :) It must be difficult to plan stuff ahead like that, without using the MOD. Kudo's to you! :)
FALL3N_ANG3LS

Post by FALL3N_ANG3LS »

I'm curious to see what you come up with. Best of luck to you in all of your projects.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Take off 4 layers of the inner walls and make a mobtrap? seems like a good location as well :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

This may be the texture pack talking, but thats a damn sexy castle :D
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

@Bino It is a damn nice texture for cobblestone. I hate all the ones that make it look all natural and crap. I don't want my castle to look like I dug it out, I want it to look built dammit!

@Flesh Considering it heavily. It's an ideal location, I perused the depths beneath the ocean and there's no caves, so... maybe.

@Fallen Thanks.

@Face Thanks, and it can be. I just sorta play it by ear, and step back now and again to see if it's looking good. If it isn't, I tear down what looks wrong and rebuild it ntil it looks right. I make generic plans, but mostly just go with what works :)

Also, update! (Now with spoilers!)

What's this? A walkway? Splendid! No more dirt-access to a fortress, that simply isn't right.
Spoiler
Show
And inside, a lava pool! But what's this...? A fountain? But where could all that water be coming from-- and the same goes for that water at the gate. Water's not infinite, you know...
Spoiler
Show
Of course, an aqueduct! But-- that just goes into a cave... Where could this torrent possibly be coming from?
Spoiler
Show
Upon venturing further, into the depths of the cave, we find a relic from a time long past, of legend and myth-- the Fountain of Souls! Perhaps drinking this water may not be the best idea...
Spoiler
Show
Not sure what to do next. Any ideas, y'all?
a bear

Post by a bear »

already a big minus for only using cobble and for being a big square. The square is rather invisible now, so thats good! I would try to use other materials
The towers are really nice, though, and I cant wait to see what youre doing inside of it.

edit: i just read this again and realized i sounded like a douchebag here, sorry!
Last edited by a bear on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

a bear wrote:already a big minus for only using cobble and for being a big square. The square is rather invisible now, so thats good! I would try to use other materials
The towers are really nice, though, and I cant wait to see what youre doing inside of it.
Don't worry haha, the cobblestone is just the basic structure of the castle. A lot more will go into that won't be stone at all, and I'll probably replace some things. Battlements will get revamped later, as will the pools, and maybe the pillars of the aqueduct. As for square-- yeah, I'm not making this fort too elaborate, just getting myself back into minecraft on a quaint project that doubles as a base of operations. I'll likely use the huge space shown earlier to do something a bit more complex (right now I'm thinking three circular areas interlocking) for a castle.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fracture wrote:It is a damn nice texture for cobblestone. I hate all the ones that make it look all natural and crap. I don't want my castle to look like I dug it out, I want it to look built dammit!
-snip-
Not sure what to do next. Any ideas, y'all?
You've seen the screenshots from 1.8? It seems like vanilla MC will be getting brick finally! :)

As to what next:
  • A secret underground ritual chamber with a nether portal
  • Treasure chamber/Storage room
  • A library
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
JWA

Post by JWA »

Not sure if I read it right that the gate on your fort will lift up, but i think that might detract from the look somewhat...What about having it raise from the ground? Or would that look less authentic?

As to whats next, I agree with Urian that a treasure room is needed. I mean otherwise whats all that protecting? I love the aquaducts though. I could see you getting very elaborate with those.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

JWA wrote:Not sure if I read it right that the gate on your fort will lift up, but i think that might detract from the look somewhat...What about having it raise from the ground? Or would that look less authentic?

As to whats next, I agree with Urian that a treasure room is needed. I mean otherwise whats all that protecting? I love the aquaducts though. I could see you getting very elaborate with those.
That was actually my first approach, I had a 3x5 gate sunk into the entrance chamber that would raise up, but it just didn't feel right to me. Instead, I'm going to overhaul my battlements later to accomodate the pulleys and gear boxes, while most of the gearboxes/axles for moving power from those two waterwheels to the two pulleys in such a way to make them in sync is housed within the SW and SE towers.

If you have any creative aqueduct ideas, feel free to let me know. Aside from minor renovations to make the flow smoother, I haven't had any brilliant ideas for 'em yet.

Also, for reference-- the castle faces south, with the aqueduct jutting up to the north.

@Urian The sceenshots I've seen (admittedly shaky sources) just show the new cobble/brick textures to be faded out. Not sure yet if interested. As per your ideas, I was actually starting work on the first one haha, I love making my nether portal rooms elaborate. Hadn't thought of the second or third though, I'll get on those shortly :P

Right now just polishing off the redstone for the gate. When I finish up my underground T-flop I'll post pictures and start work on the Treasury~

Also, after this fort is finished, I'mma start uploading this save to my mediafire account, so people can check out what I've been up to firsthand if they so wish.
Quick question, too, as a few ways I've tried this have failed-- Image are the two Qs inputs, or what? I understand that T is my toggling output, but for some reason with those two inputs it insists on screwing up...
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fracture wrote: -snip-

@Urian The sceenshots I've seen (admittedly shaky sources) just show the new cobble/brick textures to be faded out. Not sure yet if interested. As per your ideas, I was actually starting work on the first one haha, I love making my nether portal rooms elaborate. Hadn't thought of the second or third though, I'll get on those shortly :P

Right now just polishing off the redstone for the gate. When I finish up my underground T-flop I'll post pictures and start work on the Treasury~

Also, after this fort is finished, I'mma start uploading this save to my mediafire account, so people can check out what I've been up to firsthand if they so wish.
Quick question, too, as a few ways I've tried this have failed--
-picture-
are the two Qs inputs, or what? I understand that T is my toggling output, but for some reason with those two inputs it insists on screwing up...
I'm talking about these bricks:
Spoiler
Show
That screenshot was posted by Notch (or Jeb, they posted one screenshot each on Google+, the other one was the one with a village and two mushroom trees) so I'd say it's a pretty reliable source :p

Regarding the flip-flops. I didn't get the H-design to work (probably because it 2:15 am so I might have made some mistakes) but the J-design works fine. T stands for Toggle and the Qs are the outputs. Ie. put a button at T and when you push it, it will toggle which of the Qs is powered.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Urian wrote: I'm talking about these bricks:
Spoiler
Show
That screenshot was posted by Notch (or Jeb, they posted one screenshot each on Google+, the other one was the one with a village and two mushroom trees) so I'd say it's a pretty reliable source :p

Regarding the flip-flops. I didn't get the H-design to work (probably because it 2:15 am so I might have made some mistakes) but the J-design works fine. T stands for Toggle and the Qs are the outputs. Ie. put a button at T and when you push it, it will toggle which of the Qs is powered.
For the bricks-- ah, I get it. Thought you meant the retxtures brick and cobble were getting haha. Those do indeed look pretty neat-- a nice uniform stone bricklay. Fracture likes.

As per the second, that makes a lot more sense haha. I gave up on it, and tried to make the "A" design too, but for some reason my "input" was staying on. Only now do I understand the terminology in the T-Flop patterns, so I'll tear down what I have and go back to the nice compact J. I was actually just about to upload my world and ask if anyone could spot my problem when I refreshed and saw that tidbit ;P
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

The second castle is nice man! Kudos for the design, it looks well :)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

@Supernaut Thanks, I'm liking how it's turning out.

@Anyone good with redstone wiring: -snip- Can someone figure out what in hell's name I'm doing wrong? Trying to re-create the "H" t-flop design from wiki (pic posted earlier), but I've also failed to make A and J work. All I get are burn outs and locked up inputs. Can someone figure out what's going wrong here and get back to me? For now, I'll move on to another project.
Last edited by Fracture on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fracture wrote: @Anyone good with redstone wiring: http://www.mediafire.com/?6c78rnpzpxu9q40 Can someone figure out what in hell's name I'm doing wrong? Trying to re-create the "H" t-flop design from wiki (pic posted earlier), but I've also failed to make A and J work. All I get are burn outs and locked up inputs. Can someone figure out what's going wrong here and get back to me? For now, I'll move on to another project.
Have you got a J-version somewhere? As I said, it might be that the H-version is faulty or has been broken in an update.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Urian wrote:
Fracture wrote: @Anyone good with redstone wiring: -snip- Can someone figure out what in hell's name I'm doing wrong? Trying to re-create the "H" t-flop design from wiki (pic posted earlier), but I've also failed to make A and J work. All I get are burn outs and locked up inputs. Can someone figure out what's going wrong here and get back to me? For now, I'll move on to another project.
Have you got a J-version somewhere? As I said, it might be that the H-version is faulty or has been broken in an update.
I tried and tore down the J version I had in that same space, I couldn't get it to work either. If you want to try your hand at it, feel free to change it to J (or any t-flop you can make work for that matter xD).
Last edited by Fracture on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fracture wrote:
I tried and tore down the J version I had in that same space, I couldn't get it to work either. If you want to try your hand at it, feel free to change it to J (or any t-flop you can make work for that matter xD).
Ok, I replaced the H-version with a J-version. It's working now. I'm using (almost, got TMI and zombe) vanilla 1.7.2 so hopefully you didn't have anything that was despawned :p I recommend keeping your back up of your own save just in case.

Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1de6wu0q20zydkj
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Urian wrote: Ok, I replaced the H-version with a J-version. It's working now. I'm using (almost, got TMI and zombe) vanilla 1.7.2 so hopefully you didn't have anything that was despawned :p I recommend keeping your back up of your own save just in case.

Here you go:
-snip-
A'ight, thanks. It'll despawn a fair amount (finally downgraded to 1.6.6 for BTW), so I'll open that in a separate window and copy it over directly. Thank you kindly! Is there anything that must be built in a certain order, or can I just slap it all down and expect it to function the same?
Last edited by Fracture on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Fracture wrote:
Urian wrote: Ok, I replaced the H-version with a J-version. It's working now. I'm using (almost, got TMI and zombe) vanilla 1.7.2 so hopefully you didn't have anything that was despawned :p I recommend keeping your back up of your own save just in case.

Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1de6wu0q20zydkj
A'ight, thanks. It'll despawn a fair amount (finally downgraded to 1.6.6 for BTW), so I'll open that in a separate window and copy it over directly. Thank you kindly! Is there anything that must be built in a certain order, or can I just slap it all down and expect it to function the same?
I shouldn't need to be built in a certain order. I built the lowest row first (lowest when looking at the schematic) but the two rows and then the two rows above it from left to right.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Update on how this is gonna be going-- rather than record/upload, which'll take fking forever (despite an extremely fast connection...) I think I'm going to livestream while I'm building if anyone has nothing better to do and wants to watch me at work. So what I ask is-- would anyone actually be interested in watching it? Also new pictures still "coming soon", having some issues with redstone. Still.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

I think pics will work fine.
If you made a livestream, I can't say I'd sit there watching for hours, but I would definately drop by, mabye try to give a hand with redstone should you need it.

Edit: Also, what texture pack is that with the sexy cobble?
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

As per the livestream-- yeah, considering different time zones, and how often I stand around doing nothing at all-- bad idea. I'll livestream things like requests and whatnot, but otherwise just pics or vids if need be.

With the help of the amazing Urian, I've finally overcome my redstone handicap. Now for pics (most yet, this time!)

First of all-- the pathway got a bit of a make-over. From the general look to the extent of it, I think it's a bit prettier now. Still not totally set on leaving it as cobblestone (sexy as it is, with this texture pack), but I think I've finished with the general design. Main reason I don't want to change it from cobble is the mossy cobble. Can't get mossy smooth-stone half-blocks, can we?
Spoiler
Show
Also, gate is fully implemented now-- if a bit messed up. Despite the fact axle lengths and redstone on/off timing are perfectly the same, the gate still splits a tiny bit. It's k though, doesn't bother me too much. There's a button inside to raise/drop, and a button hidden in the right-hand drainage pool outside the castle for access when you lack cohorts on the inside to allow you access.
Spoiler
Show
I also made a sort of "locking" mechanism for the gates-- putting a redstone torch under the two BD's in the pools from whence the water for the gate wheels comes blocks off that flow. This is just a temporary measure, going to do a better one later when I connect the gate wheels to the aqueduct, and when I have access to pistons. Lack of flow = no power to the pulleys to raise the gate.
Spoiler
Show
I also changed up the entrance to the cave where there's the Fountain of Souls, just for kicks. Better? Worse? Gimme your thoughts.
Spoiler
Show
Now, I begin work on the subterranean Nether-Temple, and of course the castle's treasury. I'm also gonna write up a bit of backstory for this place, just for kicks.

@diego It's the "Coterie Craft" pack. Pretty nice, though the planks could use some work.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Just a quick update, made some minor changes to the castle...
Spoiler
Show
I also made a trap that took way too damn long, built inside the hallway to the FoS. Anyone game to look for it/test it? Also, feel free to see first hand the progressing mess that is my fortress.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d9nonba36xgt3m0

Edit: Bad Fracture! Treasury. Portal. No more getting sidetracked.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I think your trap might be broken. I think I see what you want it to do but something about the sequence for the pistons might be off.