New Release! (BTW V2.96)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V2.96)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 2.96 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the followings changes:

-Added the Urn as an item (a new form of pottery).

-Added the Soul Urn as an item.

-Added Polished Lapis (created with 4 pieces of Lapis and sand within a heated Cauldron).

-Added recipe to convert pumpkins into pumpkin seeds, since it is coming in 1.9 anyways and will allow people to start working on their farms now.

-Added ability to grow pumpkins and melons on Planters.

-Added ability to melt down glass panes into glass blocks in the Crucible at an 8 to 3 ratio.

-Added *temporary* tanning recipes using wood (logs) instead of dung to simulate the creation of tannin out of bark. The darker the wood, the less is required. This is a temporary measure since wolf-spawning seems to be so infrequent to non-existant in 1.8, which I'll leave in place until that gets fixed/changed. If it remains this way, I'll come up with a more permanent solution.

-Changed Detector Block Recipe to use Polished Lapis instead of regular lapis for the eyes.

-Changed Saw to output 6 wooden planks (instead of 4) when processing a wood block. This makes the Saw a MUCH more efficient solution for cutting down trees than an axe.

-Changed Filament recipe to require either a Hemp Fiber or a String.

-Changed stone Panel (Siding) recipe (on the Anvil) to produce 2 Panels instead of 1.

-Changed Obsidian Pressure Plate to only be craftable on an Anvil.

-Changed Block Dispenser recipe to require a Soul Urn in the centre.

-Changed the name of "Coal Dust" to "Carbon Powder" to avoid confusion with similar items from other mods.

-Changed the name of "Panels" to "Siding" to avoid confusion with similar items from other mods.

-Changed the name of "Steel" to "Soulforged Steel" to avoid confusion with similar items from other mods...and because it contributes significantly to Steve's moral degradation to be making his equipment out of tortured souls.

-Changed Hand Crank to cause exhaustion when operated (equivalent to jumping 4 times).

-Changed Planter so that it won't sprout flowers next to a stem, to prevent interfering with melon and pumpkin farming.

-Fixed problem with Nethercoal and Coal Dust not working properly as furnace fuels.

-Fixed problem with Steel recipe only outputting 1 unit instead of 4.

-Fixed problem with damaged items not being able to be melted down in the Crucible.

-Fixed problem where ingredients added one at a time to a Crucible or Cauldron would not always start the cooking process when the correct number were finally added.

-Fixed crash when shift-clicking to a full inventory with various mod-blocks.

-Fixed problem with dropping duplicate ghost-items when closing the Anvil crafting-grid.

Enjoy! :)
Damion Rayne

Re: New Release! (BTW V2.96)

Post by Damion Rayne »

Very very cool stuff!
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Nice! well done. Looking forward to starting the BTW experience all over again in my new 1.8 world (once i finish my castle of course).
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ooooooh, shiny.

Liking the BD/DB tie-ins, and wood tanning + plank efficently sounds great. Panel name change...might take getting used to. No biigie though, siding does kinda make more sense.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

Ooh, urns. Thanks for the update, FC!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Flower. You devious bastard. No more detector blocks before windmills? Oh dear... And it rains all the time in my world too xD
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

morvelaira wrote:Flower. You devious bastard. No more detector blocks before windmills? Oh dear... And it rains all the time in my world too xD
DBs require just a cauldron, lapis and sand, can be built before windmill
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Gilberreke wrote:
morvelaira wrote:Flower. You devious bastard. No more detector blocks before windmills? Oh dear... And it rains all the time in my world too xD
DBs require just a cauldron, lapis and sand, can be built before windmill
Didn't he change it to require a hibatchi to light a caldron a few versions ago though? No more just cooking on netherrack?
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Love the new stuff! This is great.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Thank you for the update.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

The update machine himself is back! Great job, can't wait to play :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys :)
BinoAl wrote:The update machine himself is back! Great job, can't wait to play :)
Eh...I feel like I'm not quite back yet. This stuff is all relatively minor and mostly just consists of 1.8 update issues, and tweaks to the tech tree I've been planning for awhile (at least I finally have Steel's creation-process fully implemented now).

Once I get back to implementing new features instead of just this little fiddly stuff, I'll be a much happier camper ;)

I'm still scratching my head with the compound bow at the moment. I dug into the bow code today, and it looks like I'd have to modify at least a couple of rather heavily used base-classes to bring it up to the level of the regular bows functionalty in 1.8. Not sure if what I need to change would warrant inclusion in the Forge either. Anyways, I figure that one can wait for the next release to give me a little more time to consider my approach.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

morvelaira wrote:Didn't he change it to require a hibachi to light a caldron a few versions ago though? No more just cooking on netherrack?
Nope - Netherack (And i assume wood) works just fine. You're thinking of stoking fires, which indeed only works with a Hibachi (i believe on the logic of it's a device actually PRODUCING a constant flame, rather than simply sustaining a per-created one like netherack does)

Edit: And that was terribly rude of me - Thank you for the update Flowerchild! Doubly so the alternate tanning solution - My current world is based in a gigantic taiga biome, and contray to my 1.7.3 world where i often had wolves spawn inside my mountain doom fortress, here i've seen none.

Lots of sheep though. Prehaps they're trying to send a message about me being a New Zealander.
Last edited by Mrchaim on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

-Changed Saw to output 6 wooden planks (instead of 4) when processing a wood block. This makes the Saw a MUCH more efficient solution for cutting down trees than an axe.
umm more efficient than the axe ? You mean the crafting window/table right ?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Haidaes wrote: umm more efficient than the axe ? You mean the crafting window/table right ?
Yup, given the assumption that an axe is what you're using at your crafting table.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Oh. Well, so the tech tree isn't as re-arraigned as I thought it was.

FlowerChild is still a beautiful bastard, though ;)
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Polished lapis seems to be 4 pieces of lapis and 1 sand in an unheated cauldron.
Let's get the wiki up to speed
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

^^ nice update.

Is there a recipe for crafting the soul urn though? Or is that just one extra turn of the turntable or something (ditto for urn)
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Just one extra turn on the turntable makes the unfired urn
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

And you can create Soul Urns by placing the baked urns into a hopper with a soulsand filter, then dropping ground nettherack on it (you still get the hellfire dust). 4 Ground netherack to one Soul Urn, i believe.
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Wow Flowerchild. Your method for making a soul urn makes so much sense that I figured it out in seconds. Guess someone else did too. It's 8 Ground netherrack btw.(GUESS IT WAS 8)
Last edited by TheGuy on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 2.96 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the followings changes:

-Added the Soul Urn as an item.

-Changed Block Dispenser recipe to require a Soul Urn in the centre.

-Changed the name of "Steel" to "Soulforged Steel" to avoid confusion with similar items from other mods...and because it contributes significantly to Steve's moral degradation to be making his equipment out of tortured souls.

Enjoy! :)
Wow, with being able to horrendously abuse virtual wolves AND selfishly exploit the souls of the damned, BTW has some pretty sadistic understones... and I like it.

Fantastic update Flowerchild! I'm veritably jubilant.
"First immortality... then the bitches."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol! Glad you guys like the "Soul Forging". I've been planning that one for quite awhile, but never got around to getting the whole process in before now, and just had the Concentrated Hellfire associated with the recipe as a stop-gap roughly equivalent measure :)

Just one last step with that one, and I'll be happy...the faces of the damned worked into the Plate armor ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Runesmith wrote:Wow, with being able to horrendously abuse virtual wolves AND selfishly exploit the souls of the damned, BTW has some pretty sadistic understones... and I like it.
Hehe...it actually had that from the very start, its just lost some of its prominence as the mod had more and more features added to it.

Along with the screaming cement, one of the first features in the mod, which I guess a lot of you guys weren't around for were booster rails based on soul sand, where the redstone current would encourage the souls to give your cart a boost.

So yeah, tormenting souls has always been part of BTW. I guess I'm just returning to my roots ;)

ah...memories...

TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Carbon Powder and Siding seem to be renamed to the names from the changelog, but Steel is still called steel.
Also is the recipe for Polished Lapis supposed to be Stoked(changelog) or Un-Stoked (actual game)?