Secondary bases

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BobSlingblade679

Secondary bases

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

So, I'm mostly just curious what other guys do when it comes to secondary bases.

Where do you guys generally build secondary bases? Village bases seems obvious, but do you guys also build at an overworld fortress, or just the end?

How much infrastructure do you put in these bases? Do you go full-out, making all the things or just food supplies / crucible, or what?

Also, i'd love to see pics of what other people have done in these secondary bases. I'm kinda looking for ideas. I just got all three crops and I'm debating on what to do next.
Gilberreke

Re: Secondary bases

Post by Gilberreke »

Without spoiling anything, finding the fortress requires a bunch of stuff that you don't have yet and they are usually inside of the hardcore spawn range, so a fortress base before you get villagers is just straight out.

Personally, I just start trading with the villagers and if they require anything I don't have automated, I'll automate it first. By the end of trading, the second base is about as high-tech as my spawn base, but I let the villager trading guide the base.

I don't have pictures, but in the stream server of old, we made a prison complex with cells to put the villagers in. It was pretty fun :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Never have secondaries. Not even for hardcore spawns, try to ship everything to the main base. Centralization is key. With the exception of a wither cage and the end portal, they usually just get a fancy room that's a ways away.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote:Never have secondaries. Not even for hardcore spawns, try to ship everything to the main base. Centralization is key. With the exception of a wither cage and the end portal, they usually just get a fancy room that's a ways away.
Please don't spout platitudes as absolute truth (I'm currently getting oversaturated with that in following politics thanks ;) ). The above is an opinion, nothing more, and one that I'm sure other players, including myself, would disagree with.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

magikeh wrote:Never have secondaries. Not even for hardcore spawns, try to ship everything to the main base. Centralization is key. With the exception of a wither cage and the end portal, they usually just get a fancy room that's a ways away.
What he's saying is you should raid abandoned mines for iron and build a 4k railway on a dirt skybridge with substations to ferry those villagers all the way. I think that's nuts :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: What he's saying is you should raid abandoned mines for iron and build a 4k railway on a dirt skybridge with substations to ferry those villagers all the way. I think that's nuts :p
Yup, as would I. He also seems to be suggesting that having small bases / hidey holes scattered here and there to help with HC spawn is somehow a bad idea, which I think is equally nuts, especially early game.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:The above is an opinion, nothing more
This is true, it was an opinion of a method for which I prefer.

Edit: Also didn't say small bases for HC spawning was a bad idea, Just not an idea that I subscribe to.
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: This is true, it was an opinion of a method for which I prefer.
Which is totally cool of course. However, people stating opinion as absolute truth is a personal pet peeve of mine, especially when someone is seeking advice.
magikeh wrote: Edit: Also didn't say small bases for HC spawning was a bad idea, Just not an idea that I subscribe to.
Yeah, you did, when you said "never".
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, you did, when you said "never".
Hrm.. must be a misinterpretation of 'secondary base'. I'll build hidey holes and the like for hcs, but not an actual base with any form of progression. The main reason being that it's reasonably easy to travel the distance of hcs radius back to main base within a day.
Magical Shit
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote: Hrm.. must be a misinterpretation of 'secondary base'. I'll build hidey holes and the like for hcs, but not an actual base with any form of progression. The main reason being that it's reasonably easy to travel the distance of hcs radius back to main base within a day.
Yup, same here. I think you may have just missed an "I" at the beginning of your post BTW, which would have turned it into a statement of opinion rather than a biblical commandment ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

FlowerChild wrote:Yup, same here. I think you may have just missed an "I" at the beginning of your post BTW, which would have turned it into a statement of opinion rather than a biblical commandment ;)
Oh jeez, I should be getting more sleep before I start chiseling these stone tablets with things that the voices are telling me. :P
Magical Shit
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

magikeh wrote:Oh jeez, I should be getting more sleep before I start chiseling these stone tablets with things that the voices are telling me. :P
One day you'll wake up to find 10 messages smeared with poop on padded walls. On the door is an image of a wolf, circled and crossed out with your own blood.
tin

Post by tin »

Personally, I've always moved my main base to a village and completely abandon my spawn base when I have a SFS beacon (I strip it of valuables and move them to the End). So for me it's usually a gradual abandoning of the spawn base as I'm using it less and less, but it also gets a feature freeze after i find a suitable village (a village next/near a swamp as I build my mobtraps in swamps). On my current world I found a large island (love the idea of islands) that's made of a plaines biome with a village, a jungle biome, and a swamp. This is like my dream configuration as you can farm everything there, plus the grass is a really pretty green in jungles.
BobSlingblade679

Yeah, tin. I used to love the jungle till spiders got added. I don't know how to deal with them.

I miss my jungle treehouse bases. :(

Also, I think I'm going to largely abandon my current base and move to the village. It's in a desert so it will be nice to not have to worry about storms anymore. Downside, is trees look sad. :(
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Yeah, tin. I used to love the jungle till spiders got added. I don't know how to deal with them.

I miss my jungle treehouse bases. :(
Burn down the jungle. problem solved.

Serious note, plant a jungle tree elsewhere. plant more. make your own jungle. not in a jungle.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Yeah, tin. I used to love the jungle till spiders got added. I don't know how to deal with them.
I've been successfully living in a jungle for a while now, the key is chickens. Place multiple spider attractors around the area using chickens to thin them out. The added bonus that you can harvest the spiders every so often by going around and killing them. Doing this, you can get enough venom sacs to make as many invisibility potions as you need for moving around safely (when building for example), honestly though, I rarely need them.

The chicken traps do a very good job, I also always make sure to have a good sword with athropods on it when I can. I'm almost at crucible tech and so far haven't died once! (Touch wood). I also have a few cats at strategic locations to avoid creeper accidents too :)
BobSlingblade679

Nice. I might have to try the chicken thing. I do want invis pots.

BTW, I JUST finished your season 2 minecraft for men on youtube. Sad to see it end. I was looking forward to seeing your nether farm. :(
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:BTW, I JUST finished your season 2 minecraft for men on youtube. Sad to see it end. I was looking forward to seeing your nether farm. :(
Ahhh yeah I know, it was a tough decision to start again because we'd built that place up so nicely too. There were just a few key reasons for doing so which I won't go into here, suffice to say it was the right choice, season 3 has started though so you could check that out! It's the world we're currently playing and my Jungle base will feature when those videos are released so you can check it out for yourself
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Personally, I've been wanting to make a mega production center at the central spawn point for a long time now, with all secondary bases linked to it with a railway that can, if desired, ferry items if the player is present to chunkload.

For these secondary bases, though, I actually really love the idea of completely remaking a base from scratch with newer technology, so I like to at least plan to eventually go as all-out as I can. That being said, though, I don't really consider HCS hideyholes to be 'secondary bases', so I'm really just refering to places I have an actual reason to visit fairly often, such as the closest jungle to spawn or the closest nether fortress or whatever.

Now I'm really wishing I had more time to play BTW...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Here's a fun idea I've done in the past. Whenever I hardcore spawn, I will make my HCS base at the intersection of three biomes. I try to make sure these HCS bases are self-sufficient and will stick around a little longer than necessary to make sure of that. When I eventually make my compass, I make sure to put a big wooden outlook tower above the base that's visible from a decent distance. Whenever I'm enjoying a period of doing pretty well at my main base, I'll start building a road to the nearest three-biome intersections. If there aren't bases there, I'll make some and again try to get them self-sufficient (this usually goes pretty quick, since I have access to my main base for resources).

Eventually, I try to make it so every three-biome intersection is either a self-sufficient base, or a smaller outlook tower that points you to the nearest base. Then I try to have roads going between all bases leading to the main base.

Now here's the benefits of this system:
- whenever you HCS, you know your safest bet is to find the edges of the biome you spawn in
- when you're ready to go and find villages, you probably already have a base near outer HCS range
- you can now consider actually moving villagers to main base and use these three-biome bases as waypoints
- you can make nether portals every few biomes over for nether travel if you want
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Original spawn is my secondary base actually. As soon as I have power and sustainable food going I get out of Dodge and find an intersection of a swamp, normal, and jungle biome within reasonable proximity to a desert. I then construct a mob farm encompassing all three biomes and build my main base and automation on or around that. The world I play in now has the main base outside the hcs spawn radius so I rely heavily on nether portals. For death respawns I of course make shacks with large markers. Due to my original spawn being on the end of a peninsula most hcs happens near the edge of the ocean so it hasnt taken many deaths to get to a point where I can treck back home within the same day before starving.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

My main base is usually the spawn. I automate everything I can there.

My secondary bases are often around resources I can't/won't move (biome-specific mobs, villagers...). Even in a well-developed world, most have only basic stuff:
  • Power source - windmill or waterwheel
  • Smelting area - stoked cauldrons, kiln, furnaces
  • Food production - wheat, chickens, pigs [when possible]
But I barely automate them... I'd rather use the same time to connect them better to the main base, either by Nether tunnels or by roads/rails.
--Who do you think you are, War?
Lenburg1

Post by Lenburg1 »

I have recently been connecting several rivers together so that they connect to my main base. I cemented the deep sections of the water so squids can't spawn. Soon I am going to build ports which will be a big step up from my current hidey holes. The reason I am connecting the rivers is that it is faster to travel by boat than by land. It has also been kinda fun to plan out how to dig my canals with hardcore buckets.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Lenburg1 wrote:I have recently been connecting several rivers together so that they connect to my main base. I cemented the deep sections of the water so squids can't spawn. Soon I am going to build ports which will be a big step up from my current hidey holes. The reason I am connecting the rivers is that it is faster to travel by boat than by land. It has also been kinda fun to plan out how to dig my canals with hardcore buckets.
Ooooh, that sounds interesting, I haven't done large scale HCB canals yet. I kinda want to see some screenshots now :)
Lenburg1

Post by Lenburg1 »

Ok here are some pictures of my water canals. I haven't yet started working on the docks but I know where I will place them.
Here are the pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/hmyUM

p.s. This is the first time I have used imgur so if I did it wrong please tell me.