My experiences with BTW and praise to FC

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Redux

My experiences with BTW and praise to FC

Post by Redux »

My story:
I stumbled upon your mod when MC updated to 1.7. Back then I used to play it together with "2by2 crafting grid" and "redpower" and I couldn't think of playing MC without mod's as you people made the game really worth playing! When the mods weren't compatible anymore I stopped playing Minecraft completely for a while.
When i came back to it, just before 1.2.5 was released, my great journey began:
After playing every mod i had back then for a few weeks, I diceded to stick with BetterThanWolves because it felt more like “the old days”. Then I started to really sink time into it and I loved it! Even though I occasionally played on my second world with redpower2 (just being sincere here).
That changed with 1.3.2/4.0 and the abillity to play BTW in SMP. I LITERALLY freaked! I immidiatly rented a small server and started to show off the awesome mod that was starting to consume my life. It didn't take long for my friends to fall for your mod and we dicided to start a new world together, a world wich we played up until a few month ago but got deleted when my hard drive got wiped :(
We recently started playing on a fresh world with you all your hardcore-brainfarts and we are loving it! I can't really describe how much I enjoy playing it, and what a thrill this game gave us, not being accustomed to the “brutality” you introduced.
Struggling to sustain ourselfs, draining the land of its resources:
I remember the fear and panic of me and my friends, when one of us fell down into a ravine, starving and hurt, with no way out and the other two of us running to get some dirt and a torch from our base to throw down the ravine and our last supply of food we had, to ensure the survival of our “fallen” comrade. But only one of us actually making it to the ravine, because we were already starving ourselfes. The fear in my budies cries as he was pursued by a zombie, because he was too slow to make it to our base before nightfall and my fear as i ventured into the nearby taiga next day, dispite it crawling with wolves, to get us some food to survive. And most of all I remember how happy we were when we succeded in getting our lost friend back to health, so he could dig his way out of that hellhole. That for me was a real achievement! More than in almost any game I've ever played I felt that I had accomplished something!
I remember when we first witnessed what “hardcore hats” was all about and that our tiny fishing hut we used to fish safely at night, wasn't so safe after all, as one of us was flung high into the air and down into the lake to be “devoured” by a hat, screaming in panic, managing it somehow to get back to the hut, as I bursted out laughing at what just happened and that gaint octothingy clinging to his head. Not to mention he died, because I was preoccupied laughing ;)
I remember when our first windmill, we worked so hard to build, went up in flames because i build the kiln right next to it. The panic as we tried to extinguish the fire to safe our precous construction and the moans of agony of one of us while he was blown to bits by a green combustioncucumber that suddnly appeared behind us because it was already getting dark. “FUCK! The windmill is burning!!” “WA?! AGAIN?!” going through all that again, because i fucked up enclosing the hibachi with cobble. This time around we were at least trained in how to deal with this situation and got the fire under control quickly and then dismantled the kiln completely, just to witness it all a third time(probably caused by a lightningtstrike?). “Dude?” “Yes?” “The windmill...” “What?” “Don't get upset... but... its burning” So shocked, me and my friend started laughing and were horribly murded because we couldn't stop laughing at our missfortune even as we joined our third comrade in a hc respawn.
And I remember the first time my friend told me about the awakening of the fucking antichrist and that our doggie was possessed by an evil demon. I still don't know what exactly he meant by that :D
These are just a few stories but when I think about it I could tell so many more! But do you know what I don't remember? Another game that let me "feel so much"(just can't find the right words for it in english) and that speaks for itself!

To end this blabbering: I just wanted to thank you for the experience/enjoyment we/I got from the game/mod and thank you for the work/time you had to put into it and the shit you got from so many people despite the fact that you did it all while getting nothing in return but a smile on your face when thinking about someone who screams your name in terror while getting horribly murdered by thier cute little pet dogs...
I hope my stories were at least a little bit satisfactory in that regard :)
and even thoug it's all based on mp I hope you got some “feedback” out of it!

So, I am looking forward to see more of you and your work and the day I'm finally fluid and can repay you for the joy.
Considering the prizes of modern titles it would have to be a little fortune, I guess :D

Thanks FC
Last edited by Redux on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: My experiences with BTW and praise to FC

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you and your friends are having such a good time with it man, however, any comparisons to Jesus might be rather excessive ;)
Redux

Post by Redux »

Yes, that may seem "a little" exaggerated, but for me this opinion stands. Like I said: the experience you created with your mod is not matched by any modern title(imo)! And to think you created this as an one man army(Well, ok you had the base of the masterpiece Notch created).
And I think a lot of developers should take you as a role model, because a lot of the design decisions you made were not exactly recieved well and to be honest: there were several features you introduced where I was like "What? No! Go away!". But it always turned out to be rather awesome!(HC Stratification being such a case, where I now can't believe how I ever could play without it, when I revisit my old world)
To see it through like that requires some serious balls, wich I think most other developers just don't have.

So you really are one of a kind :)
greezoo117

Post by greezoo117 »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you and your friends are having such a good time with it man, however, any comparisons to Jesus might be rather excessive ;)
Well that's a bit excessive but I suppose you realize that your mod is the reason that I (and many others) still play Minecraft. Without BTW, it wouldn't be the same :)
Last edited by greezoo117 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Minecraft, where the only limit is your imagination". Well, f**k you Time !
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

greezoo117 wrote: You, sir, are truly modest.
For denying to be the son of god? Yeah... no...

No offence, but... Superlatives, man...
Louis CK wrote: “As humans, we waste the shit out of our words. It’s sad. We use words like “awesome” and “wonderful” like they’re candy. It was awesome? Really? It inspired awe? It was wonderful? Are you serious? It was full of wonder? You use the word “amazing” to describe a goddamn sandwich at Wendy’s. What’s going to happen on your wedding day, or when your first child is born? How will you describe it? You already wasted “amazing” on a fucking sandwich.”
Apply to this situation as you please.

I do respect the fuck out of FC for realizing his own vision while sticking to his design principles and overarching ideas over many years. BTW made MC into what many people want out of the whole MC experience, me included. But the above exchange offended me, not even as a religious person, which I am not, but as a... reader :D

On the other hand... only the true Messiah denies his divinity, so who knows :D

But yeah, on topic, the storys this mod produces could fill books... from the first encounter with hats, the first night the beast shows up, the satisfaction of building the first windmill up to building a fully automated monster grinder/farm/sawmill... dozens of memories in a few hundred megabytes of randomly generated mapfiles. Something the player can be proud of, something he worked for, with blood, sweat and tears. I played many hours of vanilla Minecraft, I was hardcore into Tekkit/Technik Pack, enjoyed Thaumcraft, but BTW beats everything by a mile. When I think of Minecraft I think of BTW, not the other way round.
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Redux

Post by Redux »

Well but I find a playsession of BTW more wonderfull than having a child... or even a sandwitch at Wendy's for that matter! :D
DerAlex wrote:For denying to be the son of god?
Jokes aside, but I think you didn't get what I was writing ;)
If anything, he is deniyng to be the son of Notch, wich I get why he is doing that :D

With that line I was referring to a joke/video I saw that day, where a guy was joking around with the idea of Notch being a god to steve.
And I thought to myself, IF you follow that train of thought: IF you considered Notch to be a God to MC,(wich is funny, because by definition he kind of was :D) then what would be FC be to MC?
And in my eyes he is the spiritual successor of Notch, hence my comparison.

As for the inflationary use of words, well you're kind of right . I like the idea and might change my behavior accordingly. :)
Even though there isn't much what I didn't mean like I wrote it =/
But as it stands nobody I know/met, except for you, seems to care and that probably won't change anytime soon. And to think of getting offended by so many texts and people just isn't worth it caring about it. Or is it?
You made me thinking :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, just my personal feelings here, but given I seemed to be who the original post was directed at:

Due to the Jesus comment, much of the rest of your post was lost on me. Honestly, I was strongly considering that you might just be a troll who was trying way too hard to establish being a "good guy" in my mind by showering me with completely over the top praise so that future trolling attempts would be less suspect, and even considered just preemptively banning you right there.

So yeah man: way too much, at least for something directed at me. So over the top in fact that I found it distinctly suspicious like someone couldn't have possibly said that with a straight face. Put another way, it just creeped me right out.
Redux

Post by Redux »

While I still think that, in the boundaries wich are MC, it is still a fitting comparison, I apologize for freaking you out.
By no means I intend to troll you or this forum and even intended to refrain from posting and go back to lurking, because I think you wouldn't like me all that much :D

May I ask then what prevented you from banning me?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Redux wrote:While I still think that, in the boundaries wich are MC, it is still a fitting comparison, I apologize for freaking you out.
Comparisons to Jesus are like comparisons to Hitler man: so completely over the top that unless you're going for a very specific dramatic effect and it's your intention to stir up controversy, it's probably best to avoid them.

Keep in mind that such references will mean very different things to different people ranging from outrageous compliment to outrageous insult and everything in between. On the internet there's no guarantee that your audience is Christian, or non, or shares even a vaguely common mythological framework on which to judge the intent of such a comparison.

From the amount of conversation this has generated I think you will at least acknowledge that it was an unnecessary distraction from whatever point you were originally trying to make.
May I ask then what prevented you from banning me?
I decided to give you at least enough benefit of the doubt to read the rest of your post before deciding one way or another. In it, you displayed enough knowledge of the workings of the mod to indicate to me there was a good chance you were someone that had actually played it and weren't just popping over here to stir up trouble.
Redux

Post by Redux »

I didn't think as far ahead as to suspect that it may offend some people and I considered it to be harmless :(
But yes, I can see, that the thread would've been better off without me going to such "extremes" and I will delete it.
My appologies.

Seems I have been right to restrain from posting up until now :D
I hope didn't cause you too much of an headache and the rest of my post was kind of reassuring, that me and I think many others fully trust your judgement regarding BTW and future RTH!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Redux wrote:I didn't think as far ahead as to suspect that it may offend some people and I considered it to be harmless :(
But yes, I can see, that the thread would've been better off without me going to such "extremes" and I will delete it.
My appologies.
No worries man. I'm familiar enough with international media to know that in some localities such references are dropped without a second thought and thus have come to be viewed as fairly routine and "normal" whereas in other parts of the world they'd pretty much be an instant "wtf?" :)

On the internet though, I'm most familiar with references to Jesus and Christianity in general being used as one of the most popular trolling methods at present due to their ability to turn just about any conversation into an instant philosophical and political shit storm.
greezoo117

Post by greezoo117 »

DerAlex wrote:
greezoo117 wrote: You, sir, are truly modest.
For denying to be the son of god? Yeah... no...
I didn't compare FC to the son of god... I'm just saying he is modest and I have been here long enough to know that. OP made a joke and the comparison is a bit extreme but you should understand his message, right?
"Minecraft, where the only limit is your imagination". Well, f**k you Time !
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Friendly tip to all newcomers: If you have to compare FC to a deity, pick one from the Cthulhu mythos :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said