[SPOILERS!] "Hardcore Hoofsies" Spoiler Thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Z_Evil

Re: [SPOILERS!] "Hardcore Hoofsies" Spoiler Thread

Post by Z_Evil »

My lord, this was a beautifully evil update. I wish I was recording when I went to go test this out. Lesson learned
Spoiler
Show
Do not keep my cows and other animals in the same fields. Go to test, don't see much besides the buck happen to me. Look for a sheep to see if they do the same then I saw all that remained of the massacre! On the upside, I don't have a food shortage for a long while, down side... ALL my sheep got bucked to death, oh the fields... covered in so much dead sheep. And the cows knew what they did
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

haha the sounds of creepers exploding over night is just so funny. Poor creepers minding their own business then, POW! Hoof to the face!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:haha the sounds of creepers exploding over night is just so funny. Poor creepers minding their own business then, POW! Hoof to the face!
Hehe...yeah, that was an unexpected side-effect of the change, that had me wondering "wtf?" when I first heard it, and then rapidly had me loving it once I realized what had happened.

It really emphasizes all hell breaking loose outside your base once the sun goes down. Almost makes it sound like a war zone :)
TheShawtgun

Post by TheShawtgun »

Im not sure what it is i just saw, but my brain is telling me that a spooked cow kicked shit out of a creeper, and the creeper proceeded to blow the cow to hell... Oh night-time drama!
Also, i have been able to (intermittently) kill cows without being kicked by waiting for them to settle down and sprint-hitting them to knock them out of range of their counterattack. It feels kinda gamey and lame, would there be a way for them to retaliate faster or anything to prevent this? Because it is helping me survive so i will continue to do it, but it kinda dulls the spirit of the change. :/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheShawtgun wrote:Im not sure what it is i just saw, but my brain is telling me that a spooked cow kicked shit out of a creeper, and the creeper proceeded to blow the cow to hell... Oh night-time drama!
Forum etiquette usually dictates that you at least read the post immediately above yours before posting :P
Also, i have been able to (intermittently) kill cows without being kicked by waiting for them to settle down and sprint-hitting them to knock them out of range of their counterattack. It feels kinda gamey and lame, would there be a way for them to retaliate faster or anything to prevent this? Because it is helping me survive so i will continue to do it, but it kinda dulls the spirit of the change. :/
Bah, that sucks. Will think on it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

TheShawtgun wrote:...Also, i have been able to (intermittently) kill cows without being kicked by waiting for them to settle down and sprint-hitting them to knock them out of range of their counterattack. It feels kinda gamey and lame, would there be a way for them to retaliate faster or anything to prevent this? Because it is helping me survive so i will continue to do it, but it kinda dulls the spirit of the change. :/
Do you have any idea how much hunger gets chewed up by sprinting around in tall grass even for short distances? There's no way I'm giving up three pips for one measly cow when I have a hard enough time clearing out all the non-cows before the zombies cause an overnight stampede. Maybe if I had a sword it would be different but by then I have at least a handful of arrows and no real desire to use them in combat until I have a mob trap set up
Better is the enemy of Good
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Well...having been playing around with this I found a few crafty ways of killing cows early game...

1. Hit from the front, keep in hitstun (difficult since they tend to turn their ass towards you when frightened)
2. Hit and run (highly inefficient food and time-wise)
3. Sink and kill (drop the cow in a pit or make one yourself, then hit from above, also works with gravel and sand suffocation. Very easily done with a few dirt blocks...)

I also had an idea...sink cows in a very crowded pit and hit one of them. Watch as madness ensues and a chain reaction of injured cows and panicking bovine goodness. Have not tried this, but will try as soon as I build up a massive stockpile of cows.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Cows don't hit one another.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Sandrew wrote:Cows don't hit one another.
All my hopes of an autocow grinder...shattered and dashed...

You sir, are a cruel man.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Fair, I like it. Makes hunting with an axe more interesting for sure.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

Haha. That would be a cool domino effect if they did. Having tons of cows in a pen then hitting one of them and watching chaos unfold
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

sacrife wrote:
Haha. That would be a cool domino effect if they did. Having tons of cows in a pen then hitting one of them and watching chaos unfold
Hey, diddle, diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such sport,
And ran away with the sheep.
Show
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Madam_Guenevere

Post by Madam_Guenevere »

This also increases the chance you will have cows on the 2nd or even 3rd day that survive the zombies.
It looks like the cows can 2-shot zombies whereas zombies need 4 or 5 hits to kill a cow.
I really like this! All we need now is pigs being "Hogs" and aggressive and attack you in the wild. Until caught and tamed. I really like the way you are going Flower with this Mod I wasn't sure at first cause I liked playing with horses but they are getting lame. Hope you keep updating BTW with new interesting content!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Man, I remember quite a while back when FC was responding to someone saying:
"But FC! Why must we go to villages for domestic crops but domestic animals run freely?"
Well it looks like the animals of minecraft are getting wilder and wilder :)
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Just saw a cow kick a creeper!!! made the creeper explode too... looks like the cows are looking after me lol.

The cow won too :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Xaedblade wrote:Just saw a cow kick a creeper!!! made the creeper explode too... looks like the cows are looking after me lol.
You say that until it happens over your hidey-hole in the middle of the night ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Hehe, I had a similar thing happen before with another mod (TFC has a kind of dirt that becomes gravity-enabled when it's raining, I did not know that :p). Haven't had it happen in BTW so far, but yeah, that kind of stuff is priceless :D

Emergent game-play ftw!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Just wanna say good job with the hoofsies :)
Last weekend I was streaming, and of course I ended up hunting cows, which quickly resulted in a painful death
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Not sure if this is a server thing or part of hardcore hoofsies but sometimes when I milk my cows I don't get any milk... does this happen to anyone else?
Xdoo_Slayer

Post by Xdoo_Slayer »

Xaedblade wrote:Not sure if this is a server thing or part of hardcore hoofsies but sometimes when I milk my cows I don't get any milk... does this happen to anyone else?
They need to eat grass in order to be milked. Think sheep and shearing wool.
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

yes I know that but once the utters have dropped I click with a bucket and get milk but then it is empty... and the utters have retracted back. I then have to wait till it drops again... I am not sure if this is a new nerf with the hardcore hoofsies or if it is just server glitch
Xdoo_Slayer

Post by Xdoo_Slayer »

In that case I have no idea
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Mud

Post by Mud »

With a dramatic increase of bow usage, the vanilla arrow "bounce-back" visual glitch now much more of an annoyance.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I started a new world, just to see these new updates in effect, without messing with my old world.

So naturally I needed food on my first or second day and well I decided to go for some nice beef. But to my surprise the cow fought back and I took 3 hearts damage.
This has definitely changed my way of choosing what meat to eat for early game. I now tend to avoid cows at all during early game, as I feel they are now the squids of the land. Another passive agressive mob :P So I turned my focus to pigs, sheep and chicken and only later in the game I will try and tackle cows, when I have a automated way of killing them, instead of manual slaughter.

I like this change as it changes the dynamics of the early game. For example leather armor is now more difficult to acquire and makes wool armor something you will use more.
Keep it up with these small changes! Keep em coming!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I have found myself making Wool armour again in my HC spawns. Before I would just ignore any sheep because of their lower meat and armour vallue, but now I just hunt them actively to make sure I survive a little bit longer.