Mushroom Islands feel useless

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Foxy Boxes

Mushroom Islands feel useless

Post by Foxy Boxes »

We came across a Mushroom Island recently, to much rejoicing. Then... did nothing with it.

We could of set up a base there, but we already have a sufficient mushroom farm.
We thought we could bypass a bit of trading and harvest some Mycelium, but then we remembered that requires Silk Touch.
Ultimately, by the time we have access to Silk Touch we can just trade for Mycelium.

Ultimately we left the island feeling disappointed, which seems to run very counter to the encouragement of exploration.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
DiamondArms

Re: Mushroom Islands feel useless

Post by DiamondArms »

After recently having to restart BTW due to chunk corruption, I went seed hunting for anything more interesting than a random seed. First one I tried was a mushroom island within sight of spawn, which was also a small island.

After whacking the sole tree in the vicinity, I waded over and tried to set up some basic camp, thinking that the biome would make the first few nights easier. I was sorely disappointed. the lack of surrounding land made any orifice on the island rather dangerous to approach, and exploring for more resources was not feasible as there was little to no land within sight of the island's borders. tree planting became a huge hassle as saplings cannot be placed on mycelium, forcing me to create platforms that made harvesting the wood tedious.

I gave up less than a minecraft week in. Decided that I'd rather live in an abandoned village somewhere. World restarted with different seed.

Notes on Mushroom Islands:
Not a great spawn, unless there are other landmasses extremely nearby.
usually has a lot of water around it. squids are a common sight and apparently have no issues eating fungus.
dirt is shallow on biome. trying to pen mooshrooms in 2block deep pits still needs torches as the bottom is going to be stone.
with the large mushrooms plastered around the island, surviving is feasible, but progression is not. the caves essentially being portals to mob nests does not improve anything.