Really usefull diamond

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
ko_teknik

Really usefull diamond

Post by ko_teknik »

Hi,
Since the beginning of the year I really play a lot and I still appreciate the mod! Every day a little more and more! :) Thanks for that again FC !!!

In my latest series of video games, I feel confused because after only 3-4 hours of play I had got my first diamond pick! And this means that I was able to do mining freely, in the deep layer safely. And that I was able to go into the nether and quickly get my first functional cauldron ...
I do not know if it is because I am an experienced player but for me it is too fast, it also means that one can quickly find a fortress of the nether going from east to west or using soul Sand piles or just sometimes a portal makes us appear directly in a fortress. Access to the crucible is thus very fast.

All this seemed to me much too soon, since I did not have a mill yet! I chose not to go into the nether and continue to survive with furnaces.
I know that making a mill takes time but I really find that access to nether remains too fast.

My observation:

As soon as we get the first diamond pick we no longer need to explore natural caves one can simply mining straight in the deep layer to get different minerals. And I really enjoy exploring natural caves (dangerous and fun).
And I have the impression that access to nether technology is too fast compared to the rest of the technological advances of the mods.
This observations concerned may be only experienced players and does not affect being the occasional players.

But I wanted to talk about this experience.

Thx google translator !
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Really usefull diamond

Post by FlowerChild »

3-4 sounds about the same as my experience, as that's roughly equivalent to what I've found to be the time to recover from a hardcore respawn after death where you have to build your own compass, finding redstone and returning home or getting diamond being roughly equivalent.

One thing to consider is that the time we're talking about is basically that of someone of maximum skill as it assumes no deaths. Also, the limited cave exploration you're talking about assumes no deaths occurring later on and temporarily sending you back to the start of the tech tree.

I'll think about this some before responding further.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I've noticed a similar thing where the diamond pick gives you more than 3 diamonds branch mining anyway, so once I have a diamond pick, I immediately use it to pick up whatever amount of diamonds I want. That makes it so I use the diamond pick for everything, including mining trivial stuff like netherrack. It does feel like an abrupt jump that encourages branch mining, exactly at the point where caving would be fun (strong enough to handle em, not strong enough to make them easy).

I almost want to ask for a durability nerf (encourage mining with iron and just using diamond to clear the odd third strata block), but with steel so far down the tech tree, that would make middle game very tedious I feel.

I'm trying to stay away from suggestion territory, but maybe the fact that blacksmiths devalue diamond even further could play a role here? Somehow push truly accessible diamonds to villager tier? Not quite sure what that would look like.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Some games gloat they have five hours gameplay total!

Clearly what ever you focus on will be achieved quicker. Ko_Tek said after three four hours he achieved his goal, near the same amount of time as FC wanting to find home with redstone. Seems right to me. Make finding wheat your goal, three four hours should do it, as per other similar goals.

Build a perty hole in the ground, gather animals, find/grow hemp AND look for diamonds, unless you're lucky, you're gonna bust your three four hour timeline.

I'm playing elite dangerous, no real goals in the game either, it's what you make of it. From scratch, I'd say three to five hours of knowledgable play and I could possibly get the second largest ship in the game. Do what you like with the time you have; explore, mine, fight, sight see! From scratch, I don't think I'd rush to that big ship.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Dont worry about the times ( 3 - 4 hours ) i talk , its just an exemple.
My observartion are not based on only one attempt of playing a new game.

The players will always have the choice each game , for exemple you can dig at the deep strata with hand.

For me exploring dangerous cave its a huge part of the spirit from minecraft but if i get diamond pickaxe and i choose to keep exploring cave i will get confused ... " why i still exploring cave instead of digging safely at the deep level ?

Diamond pickaxe = discourage player from exploring cave
i see allmost all players go and dig safely at the deeper level.

Yes if you die this will take more times but when a player die its entirely its own fault... Your game technologie will be slowed. But for me , if i die i see it like a game progression ! That mean i will get one hardcore respawn connected to the initial spawn with path.

And yes for me nether access its a huge game tech progression that mean you was able to get : cauldron / crucible / turn table really fast ! Really to much fast for me compared to the rest.

------

More about nether :

If i die early game, first i travel a bit if i don't see anything i try to get iron pickaxe and craft compass. Of course after that i try to make a path with some totems and later when i get diamond pickaxe i'm going to making some portals in each direction of the nether. That mean the hardcore respawn become much more easy ! I find obsidian a bit strange, for exemple you can ( with difficult ) make a portal with water and lava only dont need diamond ;) and if you make a portal in overworld you will get another one for free (magic) in the nether. If you have diamond pickaxe this mean you will get one free portal and 4 obsidian each new portal ! Finaly you can get obsidian with redstone that was discussed here before : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6855
That look, a bit cheaty for me.

I know all players are free to play like they want but The majority of players I see, prefers play perma death until they where able to make portal on each direction inside nether. I think they hope respawning in initial spawn or just near it ! But often they die too much, after that they desperate and pause the game some hours or somes day... ( i think this hapen because they have the choice )