Ice (and how you can't really place it anywhere)

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
DiamondArms

Ice (and how you can't really place it anywhere)

Post by DiamondArms »

Ice has really specific conditions for placement. It can only be placed in cold biomes with sun access. Not even under a tree. or underground. or underwater. Its very sad that such a pretty alternative to glass is so difficult to build with.
Gilberreke

Re: Ice (and how you can't really place it anywhere)

Post by Gilberreke »

It's really cheaty physics-wise, so that's why it's so restricted from being anywhere near useful. People were making really broken things with it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:It's really cheaty physics-wise, so that's why it's so restricted from being anywhere near useful. People were making really broken things with it.
Thanks. I first read the OP right after waking up with intent to answer later, but the above eliminates the need for me to :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I have this vast array of historic knowledge about a MC mod, I'm just glad I get to use it once in a while :D. I keep hoping it comes up in a job interview, but somehow it never does.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Didn't the recent change of how ice affects items remove those cheaty things you could do? Or is there something more?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

abculatter_2 wrote:Didn't the recent change of how ice affects items remove those cheaty things you could do? Or is there something more?
Even if it did it would not matter. BTW is a mod for 1.5.2 and that will not be changing
Better is the enemy of Good
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

DaveYanakov wrote:
abculatter_2 wrote:Didn't the recent change of how ice affects items remove those cheaty things you could do? Or is there something more?
Even if it did it would not matter. BTW is a mod for 1.5.2 and that will not be changing
I meant the changes that BTW made to ice. BTW makes it so anything pushed by ice (particularly items) no longer goes to ridiculous speeds, which my understanding is that this was the big exploity thing that made ice so bad?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

More than the speed was the fact that you can use it to make infinitely long whater chanels for items without having to drop every 8 block, removing vertical considerations when delivering items arround your base.

Now that i think about it, with hardcore buckets is not that easy a feat to do that now.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Niyu wrote:Now that i think about it, with hardcore buckets is not that easy a feat to do that now.
Exactly!

In fact, personally, I sorta like that ice is restricted to only icy biomes, as the fact that you can make completely horizontal item channels is extremely useful - even if it ultimately takes up more space overall due to requiring gearboxes and screwpumps to accomplish - and makes snowy biomes useful for something other then just aesthetics and snow factories. The fact that ice requires a view of the sky, however, makes it a lot more difficult to actually use this feature...