Stone fences before wooden fences?

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
abculatter_2

Stone fences before wooden fences?

Post by abculatter_2 »

Recently I noticed that you can make cobblestone and all the stone fences with just a workbench, while wooden fences need a saw. It was my understanding that stone in BtW was intended to be more 'difficult' to work then wood, so I was curious if this was just an oversight, or intended? With the exception of the cobble fences, the recipes for these fences is hugely inefficient for walling in an area, though the fences don't attached to eachother, allowing for early-game doors that mobs can't path through.
BobSlingblade679

Re: Stone fences before wooden fences?

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

My guess is it is intentional.

It seems to me it further incentivizes wanting a saw, as cobble is relatively expensive early game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Stone fences before wooden fences?

Post by FlowerChild »

abculatter_2 wrote:Recently I noticed that you can make cobblestone and all the stone fences with just a workbench, while wooden fences need a saw. It was my understanding that stone in BtW was intended to be more 'difficult' to work then wood, so I was curious if this was just an oversight, or intended? With the exception of the cobble fences, the recipes for these fences is hugely inefficient for walling in an area, though the fences don't attached to eachother, allowing for early-game doors that mobs can't path through.
Was just thinking this through again and it was intended. The progression of materials is essentially unrefined wood (basic wood recipes, workbench, tools, etc.), unrefined stone (cobble), refined wood (Saw based), refined stone (smooth stone).

With wood fences in particular, I wanted to limit the first-night cheap-ass barriers (letting light through while totally blocking mob pathing) people would erect with them, and very early game cobble represents a fairly significant investment to waste it on something like that.