What white dye actually is.

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
magikeh

What white dye actually is.

Post by magikeh »

For turning wool white you need to use potash in a cauldron. Makes enough sense that white stuff covers the wool to make it white. However when you go to craft the lighter dyes you are required to use bonemeal instead (which yes is white as well but it's now a crop additive) , as a white dye. Now there is a difference in crafting whether it be the table or the cauldron but there was a bit of confusion on my part when I was trying to make the dyes, having already known about potash being the 'white dye'. Just something that felt inconsistent to me and I thought I'd bring it up at the monthly board meeting.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Gilberreke

Re: What white dye actually is.

Post by Gilberreke »

Small hint: I don't think you actually know what potash is :p
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
magikeh

Re: What white dye actually is.

Post by magikeh »

Ok Google fu go!
Wikipedia wrote:Potash /ˈpɒtæʃ/ is any of various mined and manufactured salts that contain potassium in water-soluble form.[1] The name derives from "pot ash", which refers to plant ashes soaked in water in a pot, the primary means of manufacturing the product before the industrial era. The word "potassium" is derived from potash.[2]

Today, potash is produced worldwide at amounts exceeding 30 million tonnes per year, mostly for use in fertilizers. Various types of fertilizer-potash thus constitute the single largest global industrial use of the element potassium.

-snippy-

Potash (especially potassium carbonate) has been used in bleaching textiles, making glass, and making soap, since about AD 500. Potash was principally obtained by leaching the ashes of land and sea plants.
This makes a lot more sense, potash bleaches things (watch out dung farms) and soap is used to clean sticky things.

Sidenote: Shame on me for not actually realizing what my neighbours largest export actually is.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO