Hardcore Sinkholes: looking for feedback

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
turtlemuncher

Re: Hardcore Sinkholes: looking for feedback

Post by turtlemuncher »

HCSH is a great feature for me because, I live in a desert and the holes caused by this are very easy for mobs to discover. Sure, I've had a few bad times, but hasn't everyone had a bad time with it? i enjoy the game-play it adds. It makes the desert a new, great exploration area with dangers, just waiting to be conquered.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I think they are totally the minor problems of beaches. Although I concede that populated villages should probably not have them, but whatever. I like that most biomes have some aspect to them that makes them somewhat dangerous. And most of the threats can be dealt with over time (I'm not sure if wolves respawn or if they are all gone after you kill them) but Jungles can be cleared and with enough time and patience, you could clear an area of desert of sinkholes. I vote for keeping them. Maybe after a while you'll have an epiphany and figure out how to eliminate the parts you are concerned about, but in the meantime the whole world and everything in it is trying to kill us and that's ok. It's why most of us love playing.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I guess no one has mentioned that it adds to the whole theme of players "interfering" with the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:I guess no one has mentioned that it adds to the whole theme of players "interfering" with the world.
I'm not sure falling in a hole is a particular strong thematic reinforcement :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The only thing that I might see being a problem is the fact that you can't see the sinkholes coming. Maybe there should be like an auditory clue before blocks start dropping.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I think I have to disagree with that.

You are entering a desert - therefore you can foresee sinkholes in your future. :)

To my mind, it's the same as "if you go outside at night in a dark forest, you will be attacks by mobs you don't see coming. Solution: Don't do that."

"If you enter a new desert and expect to casually walk through it without testing the ground for sinkholes, you will fall and hurt yourself. Solution: Don't do that."
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote: I'm not sure falling in a hole is a particular strong thematic reinforcement :)
I guess, but I mean, it only happens as a reaction to the player entering the environment, so I thought that's one of the reasons you implemented it. Guess I'm reading too deep into things...
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I think they're great. Despite the fact that I once traveled for 3 hours real time over an ocean (it was vast to say the least), looking for crops pre-nether only to die to a sink hole 2 minutes after hitting dry land, hahaha.

Yeah I'm all for them, other people have basically explained the reasons why, it brings balance to the benefits of a desert (chance for temple AND village), no rain etc etc. You can get around 90% (in my experience at least) of sink holes by sprinting constantly, which has it's own drawbacks of course.

Yeah I think they're a great addition, makes you think twice about entering a desert. If it's a desert near your home then build a road through it, that's what we did :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mesh wrote:Yeah I think they're a great addition, makes you think twice about entering a desert.
Yup, in the end that's what made the difference for me. I disabled them in the overworld locally on my system to see the difference, and after playing for awhile I was about to enter the desert.

I was initially apprehensive about doing so, then realized "oh...nevemind, the ground is stable" along with a distinct sense of disappointment.

I immediately quit the game and reversed those changes. It became clear to me in that moment that despite the minor issues with the feature, the game is better for it :)