Age's End (Now totally a Cooperative Survival Server!)

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
EpicAaron

Age's End (Now totally a Cooperative Survival Server!)

Post by EpicAaron »

Hello!

The Summer is fleeting! The stars have aligned over the western world! Winter is coming!
The time has come for man to climb forth from his subterranean dens and claim the over-world with fire and leather!

~Server Details~
- US Based ExtraVM server
- 2GB RAM
- Normal Difficulty
- Standard world generation

~Rules~
- sap the world of its riches and become lord of all that dwells beneath the sun

IP: 167.114.64.62:25586

I have two weeks to play before I leave for my trip, but the server will technically remain up until the 22nd of September. Nonetheless, regular back ups will be kept, and I'll be sure to post the world before I take my leave.

It is time to strike the earth! I look forward to raising kingdoms with you guys.

--original post--
Spoiler
Show
Mushy stuff vvv
In about two weeks I will be leaving the soft embrace of suburban America to study abroad. This marks what I believe to be a fundamental shift in the way in which my life is lived, and I am feeling a tad forlorn as a result. This feeling, combined with the fact that I recently completed my reading of the LOTR trilogy for the very first time, has created a mental landscape that I could honestly describe as w i s t f u l. This strange period of my life has brought on a bout of reflection, and foremost in my thoughts is this very community. It's staggering to imagine how much Better Than Wolves has molded the person I am today! Some of my favorite inspirations like Dark Souls or Welcome to Night Vale, things that I couldn't imagine myself having not discovered, were brought to my attention through this forum. The beloved game design discussions and Flowerchild's insightful philosophies (both relating to video games and beyond) allowed me to develop a more complex and meaningful outlook upon the world around me. Although the community has certainly waned in vigor in recent years, lurking the forum is still firmly cemented in my daily routine. I'm sure these are all things that you guys can relate to.

I've got a lot of emotional juices flowing right now and I need a creative outlet before the chance is lost forever. Thankfully, BTW boasts one of the most immersive and symbolic creative survival experiences around! ;)

In short, I yearn to have one final go at Better Than Wolves before the opportunity to spend hours and hours in front of a videogame is lost forever. All of the current servers are old and developed, and it feels like ages since we have had a proper fresh start. My plan is to get a server off the ground ASAP and play through the game for the next two weeks, at which point we will hopefully have a fully fleshed out world to upload for someone else to host should they desire it or simply to keep as a memento.

Before I spend money on a server, I would like to make sure there is interest here. Tell your friends, get excited! Perhaps we should also look into organizing a grand opening and a discord.
I suppose I also need some advice on nice hosting services. I'm willing to put a fair penny into this as long as the hosting is reliable and allows for a modded game.
Last edited by EpicAaron on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Re: Age's End (Potentially a Survival Server!)

Post by Gilberreke »

As far as Discord goes, I'd be willing to add a new channel to the official Discord at https://discord.gg/NPN3nmq, if you just need a single text channel and a single voice channel (you also have the added benefit of being close to the rest of the community).

As for servers, there's two big options that I know of:
https://shockbyte.com/
https://extravm.com/minecraft.html

Sacrife uses Shockbyte and seems to be quite happy with it, I use ExtraVM and am very happy with it too. If you go with Shockbyte, we have experienced people over on the Discord to help you set it up, we've never tried setting up a BTW instance on ExtraVM (should be possible though).

Lastly, if you're looking for players, it seems like Vioki's streaming community is the most active BTW community right now (with the Discord being second and the forums quite slow lately, but with a lot of lurkers). I'm sure Vioki'd be willing to pimp your server.

You probably have to decide what type of server you want to run though. If you only have a limited amount of time, you probably want to run a co-op server. This means that everyone shares one main base at spawn and works together. With about 5 people, you can run through BTW quite quickly (matter of weeks), but the food situation is quite severe, so you want to get mass chickens and hemp going ASAP. We even went for early chocolate and pigs last time and that was quite a life-saver (bacon and eggs is a really good staple food).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
EpicAaron

Re: Age's End (Now totally a Cooperative Survival Server!)

Post by EpicAaron »

For those following through the forum: this server is now a certain thing! I've updated the OP with the details.

As of writing, the server is not yet online. I am still waiting to see if anyone wants to partake in a unified start time. If this idea interests you, PM me or (preferably) talk to me directly through Discord. I'm using Vioki's Discord that Gil linked above. My username is A^2. Otherwise, the server will certainly be online by tomorrow.

I'm incredibly excited by the idea of building an expansive civilization here. Please feel free to contribute, even if only to build once we get closer to the mid game!
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Alright, the server is officially online!

I'll be playing as much as I can over the next week. The server has a channel in Vioki's discord, if you want to talk.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

and I'm off!

It seems I picked an unfortunate time to try and start a fresh server. On the bright side, this process led me to the discovery of the BTW discord, which is great. By way of that discord I also discovered Factorio, which is doubly great! I would characterize these final days of summer as generally great, despite the server's failure.

Good luck to you all! I look forward to playing BTW sometime in the future!

(PS: The server will remain on until September 21st or something like that, in case anyone has a burning desire to hop on)
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, end of summer and there just was a quite busy server couple weeks ago I guess. Don't be a stranger :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Thanks for running this server! I'm playing on it a bit to help ramp up my BTW skills again. It's a crazy experience playing on a server that has a light human touch but whoever once was there is long gone. Sets a nice creepy mood!

Who's base is that near spawn? Can I use some of the iron there?