Amalga: Co-op - V4.A1 Humpdated Camel

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
SerraNova

Amalga: Co-op - V4.A1 Humpdated Camel

Post by SerraNova »

BTW V4.A1 HumpedCamel
Apply for IP and Teamspeak IP

------
NOTE: The server IP has changed as of Sep 15! I will get the IP out to as many still-active people as I can, but if I miss you or if you're a returning player, please PM or email and I'll get it to you. Also, FYI, the server is hosted in the US Pacific area.
------

-----
REQUEST: Please label your bases with your name!
-----

Amalga (“mixture or blend”) was started in May as a co-op with a few friends. We wanted to have fun, but also “do it right,” i.e. take care of the world and create a useful infrastructure. Our goal has been to make a place where players have a little less to worry about and are free to survive and build whatever they want.

The world is wide open and unlimited, using vanilla generation, and there is a ton of space available. And best of all, it’s accessible, thanks to the system of portals, roads, and maps that we have worked on. This same system makes recovering from HCS a matter of minutes, not days, and we’re really excited about it. (Details below.) Our vision of the world is to continue to develop it and build great things and enjoy playing together. We look forward to having new folks and seeing what you will do!

When you first join the server, you'll be at Silverhold, which is a public / shared spawn city. Anyone can work the farms and use the machinery, and take (and later restock) some starter supplies if they want. Feel free to look around and familiarize yourself with what's there. Please don't take valuables / nonrenewable stuff / stuff we are getting low on.

Also, be sure to read the next post by GalaxyTreader about our awesome spawn recovery infrastructure!

Rules:
1. Respect other players’ creations, belongings, and equipment. Ask before you use someone’s things or settle close to them
2. No offensive language.
3. No cheats. (We don’t even use server commands.)

Precautions:
• Be sure you understand the dangers of portal exposure, to animals and villagers. Ask if you need advice, and don’t let wolves follow you into developed territory.
• There is a pigman farm in the nether, so don’t create spots for mobs to spawn nearby, please- pave your tunnels and mines! Likewise, light up any diggings near overworld mobtraps. (Ask around if you’re not sure if there’s one near you)
• Ryo is developing the end right now, so if you wish to help or have questions, talk to him.

Whitelist Application (post or email at AmalgaServer@gmail.com):
1. In-game name
2. Experience with BTW and experience on servers
3. Rate your maturity on a scale of 1 to 100
4. What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
Last edited by SerraNova on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 16 times in total.
GalaxyTreader

Re: Amalga: Co-op survival “Do you believe in life after spa

Post by GalaxyTreader »

Spawn Recovery System
SRS Maps:http://imgur.com/a/BgwxX

The SRS is a system of roads and 65 portals that links every piece of hardcore spawn, and assists in settling and the transportation of animals and people. Make a base anywhere along them, change the style, just do not reroute them too far from their original path.
Beacon Spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
the crown jewel of the SRS is the steel beacon, which when right clicked binds respawns to it. It is NW of the nether spawn chamber, between the north and west tunnels.
Understanding The Map
Map Key: The map is 2x2 fully zoomed out maps, so 4096x4096 blocks. Each pixel is a chunk, use this to help scale the world. Purple crosses are portals, and yellow lines are road. The cross at the middle (marked as S) of the map is Silverhold/Spawn.
Portal Numbers: Portals are divided by regions of the map. SW is 1-9, NW is 10-30, NE is 31-45, East is 46-54, South is 55-65, and within each region the numbers increase with the distance from spawn.

The system may seem a bit daunting at first, and confusing to use. I have a few tips at navigating it efficiently.
Spoiler
Show
1.Use the map. Unless you are very well travelled or looking for challenge in spawning, the map is the absolute best way to get a good guess at where you are and how to get to the nearest portal/road.
2. After spawning, identify your surroundings. What landmarks (water is a good one) are near you, what biomes are adjacent to the one you’re in? Remember, Sun/Moon/Clouds all travel west.
3. After finding your probable spawn, find the nearest road or portal on the map. Start heading towards that spot. If you were not where you thought you were, repeat step 2 at your new location and try again.
4. Congratulations! You’ve found a portal/road. If you’ve found a road, pick a direction to go and follow it. Each road ends at a portal unless otherwise marked. You should now be in the nether.
5. Don’t worry. The nether is safe, all portals are connected in much the same way as in the overworld. Follow signs to a main direction tunnel, which will then lead you to spawn.
Now I (Galaxy) am still working on the system, so expect tiny flaws. Roads naturally get blown up or spiderwebbed, so beware of those and try to fix them if you can. Otherwise I go around sometimes and patch problem areas.
If you run into any problems or questions, talk to me ingame or via PM.
Last edited by GalaxyTreader on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

I have personally heard great things about this server, its people, and the smitey axes used to keep its people in check. I wish to apply for the whitelist.

1~ ryoloth
2~ I have made it to end tech many times, I can figure out how to automate almost anything mechanically and am pretty decent with the redstone dust shtuff, from punching trees to slaying dragons I've done it all. I have been a moderator for a few different servers (BTW and Vanilla)
3~ on a scale from 1 - 100..... I'm between a 67 and 71
4~ Chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut. get that all into a bowl of vanilla ice cream and I will love you for eternity, or at least until the bowl is empty.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
Elusivehawk

Post by Elusivehawk »

1. Elusivehawk.
2. I have made it to steel a couple times, though my BTW experience as of recent has been spotty. On the flip side, base building is my forte, with automation coming in a close second.
3. ~75.
4. Vanilla.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Elusivehawk wrote: base building is my forte, with automation coming in a close second.
Awesome- I love talking automation. Welcome!
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

1() rimaka1
2()well i drift from mod to mod but BTW tops it, by far and ive had a bunch of exp. with it
3() it can be any where from 60-90 depending on stuffs
4() ICE CREAM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHERE?!?!?!?!?!?!

also if anyone wants to know i am also making a city in the emerald hills (thats what i've named it) anyone is welcome to join but i'm not very far in tech yet (not even at windmill)
Lockeofamber

Post by Lockeofamber »

1) Lockeofamber
2) Pretty much BTW exclusive now. I've dabbled in other mods, but no other will keep my interest long. I have some experience on servers, but much more on SSP BTW. I would love to play coop with others as opposed to multi-solitare.
3) Usually 80-90
4) Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Ryo and Rim, you guys are funny. Although that peanut butter in the ice cream thing gave me pause for a moment, Ryo! ;)

LockeofAmber, welcome aboard! Galaxy and I have a few group projects kind of in mind that we think sound fun, like where everyone who wants to builds a thing or a few things. We want to do a frontier/ western town, a floating village, and new player tutorial area (working on that one already), and we're open to new ideas, too. While some people are working on their own bases, I bet you'll be able to find a project and people to do actual co-op projects with.

Finally, welcome also to the shy people who applied via gmail. It's really nice to see more people around!
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

1. In-game name:
TaterBoy

2. Experience with BTW and experience on servers:
I've been playing the mod for years, and have been a guest on several servers since the mod first went SMP, I feel I have a decent track record of being constructive, co-operative, and fun to chat/work with. I tend to focus on heavy automation, and love to provide resources and help/advice to those less technologically inclined.

3. Rate your maturity on a scale of 1 to 100:
I'm going to be honest and say 50, skirting the balance somewhere between erudite and puerile depending on my environment.

4. What's your favorite ice cream flavor?:
Currently, Reeses', got to love chocolate ice cream with bits of peanut butter cups in it. Delish.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

I am obviously way outnumbered on the peanut butter thing! ack!

Welcome, Taterboy :)
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

SerraNova wrote:I am obviously way outnumbered on the peanut butter thing! ack!
Of course you are Serra, peanut butter is amazing in everything!
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

I'll check it out. Starting new might be fun.

1. In-game name: morsmaestro
2. Experience with BTW and experience on servers: I remember when BTW couldn't do servers
3. Rate your maturity on a scale of 1 to 100: 100.
4. What's your favorite ice cream flavor? Sherbert is better than ice cream.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

morsmaestro wrote:I'll check it out. Starting new might be fun.
I sent a PM that day, but forgot to say here...

Welcome, Mors!
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

A few people have suggested that I join this server- I already see a few names I recognize from PK's and Eric's.

1) CelestialPhoenix
2) Playing for over a year on PK's server. I prefer out and out survival and building everything from scratch.
3) Normally around 70.
4) Triple Chocolate. Only due to the lack of Quadruple or Quintuple chocolate.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

EtherealWrath wrote:A few people have suggested that I join this server- I already see a few names I recognize from PK's and Eric's.

1) CelestialPhoenix
2) Playing for over a year on PK's server. I prefer out and out survival and building everything from scratch.
3) Normally around 70.
4) Triple Chocolate. Only due to the lack of Quadruple or Quintuple chocolate.
Oh hey Phoenix! You've been whitelisted, looking forward to seeing you :D
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Decided to give this a try :D

1. Shadowhawk36
2. I have gotten to late Crucible level on my main BTW world, and know some recipes, building strategies (if that even makes sense), and mechanics quite well. I don't play on servers very often, as I have dial-up at home*.
3. On a scale where 1 means newborn and 100 means dead-serious 24/7, I would say ~70. I like to have fun while still being mature enough to get a task done and know when things are serious.
4. Chocolate. Always chocolate.

*Side note: I have access to dial-up at my home currently. I often go to other places for a long enough time, and where the internet is decent enough, to sometimes play on some larger servers. I understand that this is a smaller server. I would be able to play on this server a number of times a month, as I can use my phone as a hotspot for my computer, so that I can actually play on a server at home (I have tested this out!)
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Welcome, Shadowhawk. My condolences for having dialup- I didn't even know that was still possible. It's okay if that means you can only play sometimes.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

Shadowhawk36 wrote: *Side note: I have access to dial-up at my home currently. I often go to other places for a long enough time, and where the internet is decent enough, to sometimes play on some larger servers. I understand that this is a smaller server. I would be able to play on this server a number of times a month, as I can use my phone as a hotspot for my computer, so that I can actually play on a server at home (I have tested this out!)
I didn't know dial-up was an option anymore. though the phone hot-spot is a great idea.
great to have new people on the server and will look forward to you and newer players joining :D
rezolv

Re: Amalga: Co-op survival “Mushroom grew & smothered my wol

Post by rezolv »

Howdy, I'm interested in applying to your server. Ign is badninja. Please and thank you!
SerraNova

Re: Amalga: Co-op survival “Mushroom grew & smothered my wol

Post by SerraNova »

Hi Rezolv,

Please fill out the application!

Everyone: I'm planning to update the server to the new BTW version tomorrow
HardCandy

Re: Amalga: Co-op survival UPDATED again Nov 1

Post by HardCandy »

1. In-game name HardCandy
2. Experience with BTW and experience on servers semi-experienced i guess :)
3. Rate your maturity on a scale of 1 to 100 75?
4. What's your favorite ice cream flavor? Vanilla :D
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Just wondering; could you change the 'server shutting down' warning to 30 seconds?- right now 10 is a little on the short side.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Sure, we can make that 20. Thanks for the feedback! Are the specific times okay with people, or would it be better to go a few hours earlier?

HardCandy, welcome :)
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

HardCandy wrote:1. In-game name HardCandy
2. Experience with BTW and experience on servers semi-experienced i guess :)
3. Rate your maturity on a scale of 1 to 100 75?
4. What's your favorite ice cream flavor? Vanilla :D
You've been whitelisted, hope you enjoy the server!
HardCandy

Post by HardCandy »

Thanks and hello everyone. I didn't receive PM with server IP though :P

cheers.