[Mod] Alyx's Mapping Mods

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Caevin

[Mod] Alyx's Mapping Mods

Post by Caevin »

NOTE:
The Deco Addon should contain these changes. If you use that mod, you won't need anything here.

BetterItemFrameMaps
All credit for this mod goes to the original creator, Six. They haven't been around for a long time though so I decided to update it.

Description from Six's post:
What this add-on / mod does is to change the way item frames render when they have a map in them. I was always disappointed with how this was done in vanilla, so I finally decided to do something about it:

Versions:
1.2 - Download it here
- Updated to be compatible with latest Better Than Wolves version (any version past 4.AAABBBA). No major changes were needed,as far as I could glean this file was only changed to account for the internal compass edits made in the update. If you don't even use compasses in the item frames, you could stick with the old version no problem.
- Disclaimer: A compass in an item frame will currently be very jittery.
1.1 - Download it here
- Original file by Six, compatible with all versions before 4.AAABBBA

MapsOnGrids
Note:
The change to creating maps in Better Than Wolves 4.A9 Pustules Lancing appears to have made this mod redundant. I've done some checks and the maps appear to be aligned without my mod, so huzzah, it's now a part of the BTW experience by default!
Spoiler
Show
Frustrated with trying to have a beautiful wall of maps but spending far too much effort getting them to line up? This is the mod for you!
This mod implements the changes made in Minecraft v1.8 that made any zoomed out maps align on a grid.

This only changes the map item file, which is not edited by BTW so there are no conflicts. It's also compatible with the awesome Better Item Frame Maps mod for maximum map enjoyment.

Versions:
1.1.0 - Download it here
- Updated to include changes from Better Than Wolves update 4.A that edited the wo.class file

1.0.0 - Download it here
- First upload

Photos:

Map on bottom is the first zoom level. The map on top is the fully zoomed out version and is not centered on the first.
Now we go East until we are outside of our first zoomed out map, and create a new one. Zoom out the map fully again and we're perfectly aligned!
(The bottom maps are not actually adjacent to one another in the world)
Last edited by Caevin on Sat May 23, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
magikeh

Re: [Mod] MapsOnGrids v1.0.0 (Aligned maps!)

Post by magikeh »

By Cthulhu's tentacles Yes, Please! This will perfectly complement a few projects that I have going on. Thanks a million Caevin!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Oooh. not playing much BTW atm, but definitely adding to my save for when I make my return. Thanks!
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

This will compliment my war-room nicely. You sir, can have my virtual babies.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Was about to install when I noticed six's mod download link was down. Anyone have a working copy?
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Thanks so much for the replies, it's nice to know other people enjoy my it as well.

Dorugami: I put up a link to download on Six's mod thread, it should be the last post up right now.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Thank you kindly good sir :D
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

This is actually super awesome. Definitely will be using this, good job! This makes map rooms so much easier, I love it.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I am trying to install this using mcpatcher with the kiloblock update and i am getting a conflict message. is this happening to anyone else?
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

jackatthekilns wrote:I am trying to install this using mcpatcher with the kiloblock update and i am getting a conflict message. is this happening to anyone else?
The most recent update (BTWMod4-A4) uses wo.class so this mod is no longer compatible.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ElectroBot wrote: The most recent update (BTWMod4-A4) uses wo.class so this mod is no longer compatible.
Damn. I had to modify the map item for the extended block IDs :\
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I am playing without the aligned maps, it is a small matter, but I would not be sad if there was a reasonable solution. I don't know enough about the process to know if there is an easy fix.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

There are several ways to fix compatibility in cases like this, usually, I have some experience with similar cases. If Caevin wants, I can help him find a solution. So if you read this Caevin, feel free to send me a PM about it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:There are several ways to fix compatibility in cases like this, usually, I have some experience with similar cases. If Caevin wants, I can help him find a solution. So if you read this Caevin, feel free to send me a PM about it.
If it comes down to it, feel free to include the edits I made to the class into the add-on version. It's highly unlikely I'll be making further modifications to it, and it's just the expanding of one array and changing the bounds of one loop from 256, to 4096. That bit is pretty much straight out of Yhetti's Deco code as well.

I can always move those edits into a child class as well, but if I do that, then my override of that function may prevent the add-on edits from functioning anyways.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Ah, that explains why my maps started behaving weird, looks like I had this add-on overwrite the BTW map file, it actually worked fine for a while, but once I used so many maps funky things started happening like old maps getting replaced with the newer map.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Ah, that explains why my maps started behaving weird, looks like I had this add-on overwrite the BTW map file, it actually worked fine for a while, but once I used so many maps funky things started happening like old maps getting replaced with the newer map.
Did the maps overwritten happen to contain flesh blocks?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:Ah, that explains why my maps started behaving weird, looks like I had this add-on overwrite the BTW map file, it actually worked fine for a while, but once I used so many maps funky things started happening like old maps getting replaced with the newer map.
Did the maps overwritten happen to contain flesh blocks?
They don't, I haven't made any yet.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Hey everyone! I'm sad the functionality was overwritten but I think getting the new and improved BTW versions was well worth it.

I'll see what I can do to get a fixed version out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Caevin wrote:Hey everyone! I'm sad the functionality was overwritten but I think getting the new and improved BTW versions was well worth it.

I'll see what I can do to get a fixed version out.
Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist there, man. I was really hoping not to break any add-ons with this extended block ID thing, and I'm sorry to see yours seems to be the one that was affected by it.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

FlowerChild wrote:et me know if there's anything I can do to assist there, man. I was really hoping not to break any add-ons with this extended block ID thing, and I'm sorry to see yours seems to be the one that was affected by it.
Thanks Flower, I appreciate it.

To everyone else checking out the mod, sorry about the huge delay in reply. I kind of suck at life sometimes.
Anyway, with the fact that the file is being edited by BTW I'm not sure how to work around that. All I had done previously was implement a few line of code changes from a future Minecraft version into the map code. If anyone has any idea for workarounds you are more than welcome to update it and post it, otherwise for the time being I have no plans to update the mod (and admittedly I haven't put much energy towards it).
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I am not a particularly skilled coder, but I also really love this mod, so I'm willing to give it a shot. My question though, is that the solution i have in my head is to combine FC's changes with Caevin's, But I don't know if using FC's code in that way is appropriate. I haven't actually looked at either file yet. I thought I would ask permission rather than forgiveness.

[Edit for spelling]
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

You can't distribute FC's code, but you could maybe look into what BWR did a few years ago where they modified the actual binaries themselves (like MCPatcher as well I believe). BWR source code is still available on their github.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Sounds above my pay grade. I'll have to leave it to others it seems.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FC already said that in this case, it's just fine to distribute his code if that's the only option, because it's just two small non-BTW related tweaks.

It's not that hard to fix, but without Caevin's source code, we'd have to rewrite the mod.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

Oh I wasn't looking too hard through the posts here and I missed Flowerchild's comment on being able to combine the edits. Thanks Gil.

With that in mind, I'll stop being lazy and get my Minecraft modding environment set up again and I'll put out an update this weekend at the latest.