Changing Seasons Via texture packs.

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Panda

Changing Seasons Via texture packs.

Post by Panda »

I was curious to know if anyone has ever explored the option of emulating seasons in Better than wolves Via texture packs only. Ive fallen very far behind on exactually how CTM custom data and McPatcher works but making it so after 30 cycles the grass gradiant, tree gradiant, leaves, rain and dirt textures change to the next season texture variant. i know this isnt the best example but someone made a resourse pack that does something similar to this:

https://www.planetminecraft.com/texture ... minecraft/

Basically is this something that can be implemented into texture packs or is my little thinker going cray cray?
Never say no to Panda.
Mesh

Re: Changing Seasons Via texture packs.

Post by Mesh »

I was about to make a reply to this to tell you that you'd need to make a mod to do it. HOWEVER, (and I just thought of this less than a minute ago), there's a distant posibility that you could "animate" the leaf/grass colours, as four frame animations and in the text file you could set the delay to an insanely long time (i think its measured in ticks or milliseconds or something. So you could set the delay to something like 500,000 and then they'd "switch" after that time.

Again this is just theory I haven't tested this, and leaf/grass textures are coloured differently using png palette files, so I don't even know if they're animate-able.

Other than that bodged idea, I think you're need to make a mod
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Also, with the animation approach, wouldn't it reset when you restart the game?
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Well yeah, but that's probably the least of the hurdles associated with it
Wyr3d

Post by Wyr3d »

500,000 ticks works out at something like every 7 hours, since it's 20 ticks to a second. With each day lasting 20 mins, that works out at 21 days per season. But with the reset issue, you likely will only be seeing spring unless you never close the game, and leave it paused. Assuming the average play session is around 4 hours, it might be better to set such a texture pack to run 1 season per hour - 72000 ticks per season, with 3 days per season. This isn't so bad in terms of the game resetting seasons with each session.

That said, I'm not sure if there is a maximum amount of ticks allowed per frame, so the .mcmeta file may be more complex than just:

1*72000
2*72000
3*72000
4*72000

It may have to be written as multiple duplicates of the same frame before switching the the next season, depending on whatever the maximum is allowed. On the other hand, there's 7 minecraft days to a lunar cycle, so maybe that would be better for each season, at 168000 ticks, but this would need 10 hrs continuous play to experience all 4 seasons changing.
Spoiler
Show