The Deco Add-on. (updated 04/25/2019) [4.ABCFAFBFC]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
jackatthekilns

Re: [PHILLIP][V1.1b] Deco Add-On with Dyes and White Bricks!

Post by jackatthekilns »

Just installed and can't wait to start using some of the new blocks. Would love to see something akin to vanilla carpets. This add-on has almost completely added in the few things I genuinely missed from vanilla. Keep up the good work!
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Think this one's compatible with the updated BTW?
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
ion

Post by ion »

works fine with latest BTW no issues discovered until now
Yhetti

Re: [Marsupial?][V1.1b] The Deco Add-On

Post by Yhetti »

Yeah I didn't run into any problems. I will change the title but if you guys run into anything then tell me.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Is this multiplayer compatible?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Of course. I play it with a couple of friends on a server every now and then so I know it works.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

So I wanted to add fruit trees to Deco, but I have to have the community's opinion.

This encompasses:
+Apple trees
+Banana trees
+Orange trees
+Grape vines
+Mixed fruit bowl (Melon, Apple, Orange, Banana, Grape; will probably fill 3 or 4 hunger)
+The trees and vines are all endgame, you have to get to the end before you are able to make an apple tree.(Something like Soul Flux being required to make an apple tree sapling)

The scenario that really made me want to do this was when I was on my way home from a really long journey to a village with my friend. Our inventories where filled with a ton of shit, and he asked "can't I just eat this apple?" (we found a grand total of one apple).

Why was I saving it? The same reason I saved my golden shit from the original bonus chest, for novelty. It just seemed stupid though, I felt like it would be cool to actually be able to use it at some point, but only at the end of the game. So the apple(and other fruit to be added in similar ways) would still be precious, and this gives you an actual reason to carry it through hell and back all the way to your base and keep it; but once you are able to make an apple tree, the apple loses its novelty.

What do you guys think about apple trees? Other Fruit trees? I would actually like FC's opinion too, but I doubt he will ever read this because I don't think he really likes dealing with add-ons.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: [Marsupial?][V1.1b] The Deco Add-On (POLL for fruit tree

Post by FlowerChild »

My opinion is that adding a feature into a game solely to give a use to a useless object is almost always a bad idea. You wind up trying to create a player need instead of satisfying one.

In this case, all for the sake of an item with no use that you could just as easily throw into lava and be done with it.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:snip
You make a convincing point. however the idea was to make fruit into an actual usable food source, the fruit alone would be useless, but mixed fruit would provide a much easier way to make food late-late game, so when you come back from the end you have a new kind of food combo to make. Yes it is still relatively useless, but it adds variety and a new mastery to the game.

I tried not to approach it as "lets give a use to apples," but in a way I did.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

But does the game need a new food source, and is anyone really feeling a need for one?

If I were to go that route, honestly, I'd probably rebalance the existing food to make it slightly weaker to warrant such an upgrade. As it stands, it feels like you'd be putting an upgrade on a system that already hits max usefulness at hearty stew.

And of course, if you do make it more powerful, there's the potential problem of making carrots and potatoes less valuable, when their value is already tenuous, and they're rather difficult to acquire.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I'd love to have fruit trees simply for aesthetics. I wouldn't mind an apple tree that dropped nothing, nor a grapevine that made nothing. I use this add-on because it adds a lot of trivial aesthetics that complements BTW's already extensive collection.

I'd really love if it stayed that way.

TL;DR
Don't try and add, modify, or balance in any new or existing gameplay mechanic. This add-on is awesome enough for the added beauty it gives the BTW experience.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Dorugami wrote:Snip
That. I was about to say the same. New types of trees just for aesthetics sake would be great, plus different color of wood to go with them, with some in-game way to get new types of saplings without changing world generation.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Dorugami wrote:Snip
That. I was about to say the same. New types of trees just for aesthetics sake would be great, plus different color of wood to go with them, with some in-game way to get new types of saplings without changing world generation.
It's pretty clear that giving the fruit actual value is not something anyone is interested in. So we won't do that.

If you guys actually want me do make all new kinds of wood and make them real legit looking, I am gonna go for that.

However, I feel weird adding the trees simply as just trees, and not yielding fruit even though they are fruit trees.
so: what if they produced fruit but it was relatively useless and you couldn't really do anything with it(like apples are right now)? As FC said, well then don't we just end up throwing it in the lava? I can attempt to curb that by making it harvest-only, so the trees will only give you fruit if you click on them or shear them or something, this makes them a little more of a novelty because it's real fruit and not just a wanna-be fruit tree, yet since they are really just for us to look at, you don't actually have to pick them.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Ever seen some texture packs where the birch trees were an enchanting shade of orange? Like walking through a fall landscape. You could start with leaf colors. I'm not sure how you tackle fruit, and I don't want to assume too much by saying anything, so I'll just trust your creative mind to it :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Dorugami wrote:Ever seen some texture packs where the birch trees were an enchanting shade of orange? Like walking through a fall landscape. You could start with leaf colors. I'm not sure how you tackle fruit, and I don't want to assume too much by saying anything, so I'll just trust your creative mind to it :)
Oh I said I will go all out, so I will go all out. Banana trees for one, will look completely different from any other tree. I will make apple/orange trees unique in some way, I will figure that out. I was also working with sockthing on new fruit textures: Image
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I like the idea of new tree types, with new logs and planks. Also imo they should look different than the standart oak tree.

Here just how imagine how orange and banana trees could look like.
Maybe they are a bit small. But thats just how I imagine them ;)
Spoiler
Show
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Sockthing wrote:I like the idea of new tree types, with new logs and planks. Also imo they should look different than the standart oak tree.

Here just how imagine how orange and banana trees could look like.
Maybe they are a bit small. But thats just how I imagine them ;)
Spoiler
Show
I don't think banana trees have bark for one, so I will definitely be making them have a sort of stem-like block.

I like the way you did the orange tree, it will have a little mini log as its stem instead of a full sized one, and the leaves will shape themselves around it.

Gonna go google pictures of fruit trees.

E: Also banana trees have big-ol leaves, those will likely take up a full block.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

My only thought with non full blocked size stems is that it would somehow lose the minecraft-y feeling of a tree look imo.
Also, would I be able to use those smaller size stems/logs for my builds, like we use the standart logs?

Edit: OH! Is it possible to have half block leaves for the banana tree? Which then are leave slabs! Maybe that will look okay?
Last edited by Sockthing on Tue May 13, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

If the fruit will do nothing perhaps they could be like watermelons, to craft into seeds to plant more trees, instead of the sapling route... Or in addition to...
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

And hey if you really wanna add the fruit items, they can have the same hunger properties as mushroom, seeds, or apples depending on where on the tech tree you can get them. Love the sprites though, really nice.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Dorugami wrote:And hey if you really wanna add the fruit items, they can have the same hunger properties as mushroom, seeds, or apples depending on where on the tech tree you can get them.
I would set them equal to apples. Then all fruits have the same hunger value, since you cant make them into something different. Then if you add fruit salad / mixed fruits, that has to be balanced according to all other foods!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Alright, how about I work on what they look like then you guys can tell me how you like them....
Dorugami wrote:...same hunger properties as mushroom, seeds, or apples...
That was the plan, yes.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Yhetti wrote:Alright, how about I work on what they look like then you guys can tell me how you like them....
Good Idea :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

The way I see it there are three different ways to have the fruit hanging:
1) Sargunster Style
Spoiler
Show
2) Hanging Facade
Spoiler
Show
or 3) as part of the leaves
Spoiler
Show
Which do you guys like best, note that these are not from my addon they are just examples.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I personally like as part of the leaves best!