The Deco Add-on. (updated 04/25/2019) [4.ABCFAFBFC]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Yhetti

Re: [V1.2] The Deco Add-On. Now with lanterns!

Post by Yhetti »

So first, I hate cobblestone walls, you get way too many walls for one, and two, they look stupid.
In all my life I have never seen a fence made out of bricks, but I have seen walls made out of brick, so what would you guys think if I changed all of FC's brick fences to render as walls like so(and also change the cobble wall recipe to match the others):
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Yhetti on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

As long as the code believes they are still fences and mobs can see the holes, I don't think there would be a problem with this. They do look fairly good. Removing the cobble wall recipe may be outside the mission tho
Better is the enemy of Good
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

DaveYanakov wrote:As long as the code believes they are still fences and mobs can see the holes, I don't think there would be a problem with this. They do look fairly good. Removing the cobble wall recipe may be outside the mission tho
I am pretty sure they can still see through it, I am not sure about projectiles, I think that they will still fly through it, which could be confusing. And I was thinking I could just change the cobble recipes to match the other fence recipes, as right now they give six, and the other fence recipes all give two, I think six is too many, all other recipes give two I think. I mostly just want to discourage using them because they feel cheaty. (also they're stupid)
ion

Post by ion »

the BD doesn't place the new blocks and flowers from deco addon, just spits them.
about wall recipe is fine as you make them with 6 cobble blocks.
what it feels odd is your golden chandelier recipe that gives 2 of them out.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

You know I think I remember the block dispenser messing up with new blocks. I think that it thinks they're items because their ID's are so high. I'll fix that tomorrow.

I was actually sitting there thinking about the chandelier recipe for about ten minutes. I decided to be generous and give it two because gold is pretty valuable nowadays. (3 gold nuggets per light vs six) I wanted players to actually be able to use it. Do you guys think it should be 1? I would say that I could change it by making it a 3x3 recipe and changing it to 1 output but I kinda like the feeling that players have to wait to be able to do all the metalworking stuff I added.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't use your mod, though I've been entertaining the idea. But I think you should just stick to Deco. Balance changes are not what I look for in a mod that is basically aesthetic fluff.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I'm going to add a config file for anything that could be considered a balance change. Even though I don't really consider changing the recipe for cobblestone walls a balance change.

Edit:Actually Since I am doing that I might as well just split it all up into pieces. I'll do that.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I'm not sure where you're from, but being from England myself, cobble walls make plenty of sense. Walls like this
Spoiler
Show
exist throughout my country. I personally think removing an aesthetic block, from a mod which focuses on aesthetics may be a little contradictory to what you are striving for. As far as I can see, there really is no reason to remove the cobble walls if you don't need to for some specific purpose.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:I'm going to add a config file for anything that could be considered a balance change. Even though I don't really consider changing the recipe for cobblestone walls a balance change.
Just as an observation based on a screenshot that was posted to another thread, I'd take a look at the balance on the hemp lantern thingies. Lighting isn't exactly free in BTW.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote: Just as an observation based on a screenshot that was posted to another thread, I'd take a look at the balance on the hemp lantern thingies. Lighting isn't exactly free in BTW.
I did notice this, and thought about addressing it. I will probably just change the hemp seeds part to something else.
Mesh wrote:...remove cobble walls...
And I'm not removing cobble walls! I'm just lowering the recipe to balance other walls. I don't know why I said remove before, I can't really do that anyways, people use them too much. Once again, I am not removing them, and I don't need anymore input on this, if you don't like the recipe being reduced you can disable that part of the add on. I personally feel the recipe contradicts the aesthetics in BTW and that's the change I want to make so that things fit nicely.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Yhetti wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Just as an observation based on a screenshot that was posted to another thread, I'd take a look at the balance on the hemp lantern thingies. Lighting isn't exactly free in BTW.
I did notice this, and thought about addressing it. I will probably just change the hemp seeds part to something else.
Something like coal dust. *flinging ideas*

As a side note, I know that adding items inevitably affects balance in some way, but you really shouldn't hit it too much. You're a fantastically creative mind, and have a flair for the aesthetic...but two thoughts on what's right for the game just wouldn't make for consistent gameplay.

EDIT: Can't seem to download from the links. Are they down?
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Holy shit I forgot. Yeah the download links were down all day yesterda. They'll be back when I get home in an hour or so. I was giving my server a break.

And I'm sorry I don't really know what you're getting at about balance.

I am probably going to add fireflies soon. Which means for each lantern you'll have to catch a firefly.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Question:

Is it possible to implement "different" versions of the barrel?
For example a barrel + fish = barrel with fish.
I would like some sort of deco like this. Just asking.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Sockthing mentioned something like this. And I was considering doing something. I will probably do something after I finish what I am working on right now. Do you mean like using barrels as storage?
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

If possible and without any balancing issues, yes.
Only decorative would be great too
Rob

Post by Rob »

Puzzled came across a problem with grates in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8615

Sockthing and I inadvertently tracked down this issue in our lets play together. Sockthing was unable to cut down grates, he uses your deco addon. I chopped them down like butter, and don't have your addon installed.
ion

Post by ion »

was the recipe for vanilla planters removed?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ion wrote:was the recipe for vanilla planters removed?
You know I think I forgot to put this in the changelog but I think I changed it to an urn(not a soul urn) and a pile of dirt. I'll be fixing them some more so that some of the deco flowers fit in them.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Because why not?
Spoiler
Show
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

hah I like it Yhetti. Small suggestion: I think it would a bit nicer if the "cloth" wouldnt touch the ground. Like have around 2 pixels space to the ground?
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Sockthing wrote:hah I like it Yhetti. Small suggestion: I think it would a bit nicer if the "cloth" wouldnt touch the ground. Like have around 2 pixels space to the ground?
Yeah I was gonna do that. This is just a quickie, it will probably have 2px on the bottom and 1 px on each of the sides. And that's not the final texture I am gonna use, but one of the flags will definitely have the BTW logo on it.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Yeah I realised it's prototype, but just wanted to throw my idea in ;)
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I think I will probably go finish them tonight, and then get everything perfect and release tomorrow... Sorry guys though I am still procrastinating on the trees, but I will get them done eventually I hope. There's a couple of nice goodies this time around.

I am wondering if there are any ideas you guys have for what to put on the flags, I want to make them less lame than the vanilla ones. I was thinking maybe a BTW logo, a creeper head, maybe something nether related.....And if anyone has any art they wish to submit for it that's fine too.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Yhetti wrote:I am wondering if there are any ideas you guys have for what to put on the flags, I want to make them less lame than the vanilla ones. I was thinking maybe a BTW logo, a creeper head, maybe something nether related.....And if anyone has any art they wish to submit for it that's fine too.
I think I'll make some art for them :D
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Sockthing wrote:
Yhetti wrote:I am wondering if there are any ideas you guys have for what to put on the flags, I want to make them less lame than the vanilla ones. I was thinking maybe a BTW logo, a creeper head, maybe something nether related.....And if anyone has any art they wish to submit for it that's fine too.
I think I'll make some art for them :D
Don't try to make them look fabric-ey, and then when I make all the textures I will emboss the fabric texture on them (or emboss them on the fabric texture....whatever you know what I mean.) so they all look fabric-ish in the same way.