Better Than Wolves Forum

The official place for BTW discussion
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
This is is an Add-on that aims to add variety and content to Better than Wolves.
This is a remade version of this add-on.

Downloads
Deco Addon files (Mirror)
My personal "Better than Faithful" texture pack (Mirror)
Or feel free to browse my server for whatever files you're looking for.

It's been a long time but I am back on top of the Deco Addon.
I have made a texturepack (above) that contains all the textures used in this addon. For me, the texturepack completes the experience I was going for in this addon.(connected textures, random mobs...etc)
The addon is separated into modular pieces (which I have convienintly called "addons"), listed below. Some of the addons may affect the balance of the game in minor ways.
You may pick and choose which Addons you want to install.

Hay Bales:
Spoiler: show
Adds hay bales.
9 Wheat = 1 bale.
1 Bale = 9 wheat.
Image


Flowers:
Spoiler: show
Yes, I like flowers. This addon has lots of flowers, some from vanilla minecraft.
It changes bone meal to no longer have a worth while result when applied to grass, instead you must use fertilizer.
Fertilizer is crafted by mixing bone meal and poo in a crafting grid.
On the other hand fertilizer yields more flowers and different kinds of flowers when applied.
Flowers will also grow out of (BTW) planters.
Flowers can be ground up in the millstone to get various different kinds of dye. This includes blue and white dyes.
Image


Lanterns:
Spoiler: show
+ Paper Walls
Image
+ Wrought Iron Bars
Image
+ Aesthetic Changes to the lightning rod
+ Paper "Firefly" lanterns(with candles instead of fireflies)
Image
+ Golden Chandeliers
Image
+ Hemp Oil
Image
+ Wrought Iron Lanterns
Image

Image
Image
Image


Clay:
Spoiler: show
This lets you cook a block of clay in the kiln, it can then be dyed any of the 16 colors in a stoked cauldron.
Image


Glass:
Spoiler: show
This lets you dye Glass any of the 16 colors in a stoked cauldron. The dye can be removed with soap.
Adds "Chunk of Glass" which is 1/4 block of glass(= 1 pile of sand). My plan is to use these for further decorative glass recipies.
Bottles can be melted down in the crucible, this DOES effect balance, because it allows you to produce glass at swamp mob trap, if you have a problem with this it can be discussed, but so far I don't see anything wrong with it.
The bottle recipe is different:
Image
Image


Chairs:
Spoiler: show
Available in all four kinds of wood.
The recipe is four siding and two molding, in a chair shape(yields 4 chairs)
More chairs will likely be coming.
Image
Image


Diamondium:
Spoiler: show
Two kinds of diamond blocks:
+"Block of Diamond": the same recipe and block except now it actually looks like a crystal.
+"Block of Diamondium": the result of 9 diamond ingots(yes, this is a reference to futurama, and yes, I also changed the name of diamond ingots and diamond tools), it is a bit stronger than diamond.
Diamondium will have the same effect as iron when built into a beacon.
I was upset that I had no use for my diamond ingots after I came home with end stone, so I wanted to be able to use them for aesthetic purposes.
Image


White Stone Craft:
Spoiler: show
+White Stone Bricks(Made with four white stone in a square)
+Chiseled White Stone(Made with 12 white stone in a circle in the anvil)
+Mossy/Cracked White Stone Bricks that are not accessible right now. If you have suggestions on how I could put these in the game, let me hear em!
+White Stone Brick Siding, Molding, Corners, Tables, Benches, Pedestals, Columns, etc.
Image
Image


Walls:
Spoiler: show
This changes:
+ Stone Brick Fences
+ Brick Fences
+ White Stone Brick Fences
to behave more like Cobblestone walls.
I made this addon because I didn't like how brick fences didn't make sense. I mean who actually has seen a fence made of brick? I've seen plenty of walls made of brick tho.
Image


And more coming soon!

Credits:
FlowerChild: For making an awesome game.
Yhetti: Ideas, Code and some textures.
[bSockThing[/b]: Ideas, Code and some textures.
Kao's ideas, and textures were used with written permission.
Sargunster's fruit textures were used with written permission.(From the SV Add-on)
The Minecraft Team: For stuff that was ported into this add-on.

Copyright:
Spoiler: show
All files involved in this project are properties of the community, they can be modified or redistributed as long as proper accreditation to the original authors are given. Source code may be available on request(Just PM me).

I would really be excited to have someone work with me on models/textures, also bring any questions or concerns straight to me.


Last edited by Yhetti on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 55 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:27 am
Posts: 599
Wow, incredible work man, this was one of my favorite mods back in the day and I am very happy to see it revived. I see you've got plans for iron lanterns, any chance for the old paper lanterns too? I'm a sucker for classical Japanese styled stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
Six wrote:
Wow, incredible work man, this was one of my favorite mods back in the day and I am very happy to see it revived. I see you've got plans for iron lanterns, any chance for the old paper lanterns too? I'm a sucker for classical Japanese styled stuff.

I have plans for the FireFly lanterns if that's what you mean. I already have the animated texture too, the only problem is you can't get those without getting fireflies first. I guess I could put those in creative though, which I may be able to do before the end of the day(I'm stuck at home all day doing nothing)

I already have a x32 Paper wall texture and it looks really cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:17 am
Posts: 2055
I like what you've done with the place. Do your grape vines take advantage of the increased resolution on the hunger bar?

_________________
Better is the enemy of Good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
DaveYanakov wrote:
I like what you've done with the place. Do your grape vines take advantage of the increased resolution on the hunger bar?

Uhh, actually I forgot about that, but yeah I was just planning on giving them the same hunger value and everything as Apples.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 18172
I grant permission to the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on team to decompile and reverse engineer Better Than Wolves solely for the purposes of developing the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on, and with the understanding that such permission may be revoked at any time.

Just as an aside: you might want to consider the impact on people's worlds, and plan ahead for, what happens when I add the BTW candles as a placeable block. That one has been on my todo list for a very long time now, and I'm bound to get to it eventually. I'm a little iffy on add-ons implementing planned and announced features for BTW ahead of time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
FlowerChild wrote:
I grant permission to the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on team to decompile and reverse engineer Better Than Wolves solely for the purposes of developing the Kaos' Zombified Deco Add-on, and with the understanding that such permission may be revoked at any time.

Just as an aside: you might want to consider the impact on people's worlds, and plan ahead for, what happens when I add the BTW candles as a placeable block. That one has been on my todo list for a very long time now, and I'm bound to get to it eventually. I'm a little iffy on add-ons implementing planned and announced features for BTW ahead of time.


Thank you very much sir. I'll recompile and upload when I get home.
As for the candles, I'll add two way conversion recipes, the candles each take up a block ID, but they are beyond 3000. If you want me to take them down that's fine.
As for lapis, I am not sure what else I could do to make that more flexible for old worlds as I don't want people to make lapis out the wazoo. Now that I think about it though I may be able to use a separate ID for dye and make proper conversion. That could complicate things though.
Once again thank you kindly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 18172
Yhetti wrote:
As for the candles, I'll add two way conversion recipes, the candles each take up a block ID, but they are beyond 3000. If you want me to take them down that's fine.


No, nothing like that man, as candles are largely decorative and not that big a deal. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that it might cause issues down the road to have duplicate items like that.

Quote:
As for lapis, I am not sure what else I could do to make that more flexible for old worlds as I don't want people to make lapis out the wazoo. Now that I think about it though I may be able to use a separate ID for dye and make proper conversion. That could complicate things though.


No promises on this one, but I may have some functionality in the release following the next that may simplify that issue significantly, as I'm running into similar problems in planning to make cocoa beans an edible item (since they also function as a dye already). I'd recommend you go the separate item route, and if it's a real pain in the ass, maybe disable the dying functionality for the time being in case I can help you out with it through some base class mods I am considering to make dye items in general less of a hassle to deal with.

If I'm going to go that route (and again...nothing certain yet as I'm still thinking through the details), it will likely be within the next week, so if you aren't in a rush, you might want to just wait on that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 49
Nice! I've always wanted an aesthetic add-on. Keep up the good work. I'd really like to see the mobs on the original add-on, like the butterfly, bee, and firefly, and maybe a few more atmospheric mobs like squirrels, bunnies, and fishes. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
woeuntoyou wrote:
Nice! I've always wanted an aesthetic add-on. Keep up the good work. I'd really like to see the mobs on the original add-on, like the butterfly, bee, and firefly, and maybe a few more atmospheric mobs like squirrels, bunnies, and fishes. :)


Yeah I am trying but I have no idea how to do entity's and models in MC. And I cannot find a legitimate modeling program that works.so I am trying to learn.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
FlowerChild wrote:
No promises on this one, but I may have some functionality in the release following the next that may simplify that issue significantly, as I'm running into similar problems in planning to make cocoa beans an edible item (since they also function as a dye already). I'd recommend you go the separate item route, and if it's a real pain in the ass, maybe disable the dying functionality for the time being in case I can help you out with it through some base class mods I am considering to make dye items in general less of a hassle to deal with.

If I'm going to go that route (and again...nothing certain yet as I'm still thinking through the details), it will likely be within the next week, so if you aren't in a rush, you might want to just wait on that one.


Sorry I actually didn't see this message at first :P I'll wait to see what you do for that. I kinda want all of the actual dyes to be ACTUAL dyes, so that would be nice to have a whole set of them, with Cocoa, Lapis and what have you, all being separate. Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 18172
Yhetti wrote:
Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.


Noooooooo!!!!! Ok, no hooks for you ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Behind my computer screen
FlowerChild wrote:
Yhetti wrote:
Most importantly I can now give my doggies blue collars without wasting precious Lapis.


Noooooooo!!!!! Ok, no hooks for you ;)

Hey, as long as he isn't trying to give them free blue booties, I think it's fine.

_________________
Without engineering, science is just philosophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
dawnraider wrote:
Hey, as long as he isn't trying to give them free blue booties, I think it's fine.

Actually that's a good point, I don't even know the recipe for booties so I should probably go figure that out.......

Edit: So I just realized that whole thing was a troll, and I feel really dumb. So thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 am
Posts: 471
Definitely keeping this on my watchlist. Time to go find some suitable Item textures to fit.
Good Luck ironing out the details.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:00 am
Posts: 333
Thank the great old one, this is what I need to get my girlfriend away from warcraft, I'll give it some time for you to iron out the dye things.....I would just go convert my lapis into blocks but I cant remember what section of my 4 layer 800x1200 I had them stored in....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 pm
Posts: 44
Awesome work! Thank you for doing this!

Any chance of mead coming back with a later release? Features like that really help a world feel whole. :)

Thank you again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
August West wrote:
Any chance of mead coming back with a later release? Features like that really help a world feel whole. :)
Thank you again!

I know I keep saying "the other add-on I was working on," but in the other add-on I was working on I had a fermentation system with grapes>wine, wheat>beer, honey>mead, corn>corn oil(ethanol), and milk>cheese. So the answer is: its there I just have to see if I can fit it into the game. I also recall adding a feature to where getting villagers drunk would increase their promiscuity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 am
Posts: 150
Location: Made in Germany
Thanks for making this, I liked the old addon a lot!
I think I will make an addon for derivation if I have time, not yet, but in the future.

Keep up the good work


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
Kezza wrote:
Thanks for making this, I liked the old addon a lot!
I think I will make an addon for derivation if I have time, not yet, but in the future.

Keep up the good work

That's awesome thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 pm
Posts: 44
Excuse my ignorance, but does this work on servers too or just ssp?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
August West wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but does this work on servers too or just ssp?

Actually that is a good question. When I first made this my server jar was broken and wouldn't work, so this morning I got a new jar and ported it, I came on here to post it, so your answer is: There is a server version, right after I finish typing this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 am
Posts: 150
Location: Made in Germany
Two bugs I noticed:

the new stained glass has some problems with water (tried it with vanilla textures too):
Spoiler: show
Image
you cant see the underwater part of the glass ( see the two exambles, the fire under water :D )


the purple something is based on snow?
Spoiler: show
Image


And a few textures I made already (I like grapes/vine as part in MC) and some I took from the normal vMC Texture Pack (hay bale):
Spoiler: show
Image


About your future plans.
Spoiler: show
I like the fermantation part, would like somethink like that in the game, but with BTW-tech involved.
The Corn too.
I saw that cheese block and the first think I thoght it could take a long time to age and look like the cake (the cube size).
You get slizes when you right click it, instead eating. Cheese is a good Idea with BTW, it takes time and recourses, but you are proud to get it after a long time.


I thank you very much to continue this addon :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 366
Okay, so a few things: The stained glass does that because Vanilla Minecraft doesn't allow for two different layers of alphas. Ice does the same thing. Nothing really I can do about it for now.

Yes, the purple blocks are based on snow. (They are really cold so they freeze grass obviously) I will give them a few other special powers later.

Cheese was only included because I already had a class built for the Cheese and Fat blocks(they are the same block ID) and I wanted to add fat blocks. If I were to add fermenting then cheese blocks wouldn't really have anything to do with the fermenting process, they are just storage blocks for cheese slices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm
Posts: 18172
Multiple alpha layers are not really feasible with the MC engine. Hence why colored glass mods are not more abundant, and probably why Mojang has never implemented such blocks themselves.

I played around with that a bit myself at one point, for a possible feature I was experimenting with, and it really is more trouble than it's worth. You also see it with not being able to see water when looking through a nether portal.

So yeah man, I'd advise against such things. It's a huge can of worms.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group